Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target supply website

Pmatte1

If you’re looking for paper target stands. I made ten for about $10/each out of 1x4’s with half a dozen spare sticks for when they get shot out. 
I cut two 18” pieces and sandwiched a 15” piece in the middle. Then added two 22” (I think)pieces as legs. Got the idea from someone else and they didn’t have legs and it worked fine with a spike in the middle. So you could potentially make them for less if you don’t add them. 

I picked up some of the Birchwood Casey target stands from Amazon. They had them on sale for $15 so I loaded up on some. Seem pretty decent and use 1X2 furring strips. Most of the time they run $35 but keep an eye out for sales there and at Midway. I also picked up some targets at CHL because they were reasonably priced and lower shipping. https://chltargets.com/

Edited by Farmer
Added

8 hours ago, George16 said:

If you can weld you can buy some metal and make your own target stands using angle irons. I made some a few years ago.

It uses a pair of 1 x 2 furring strip and nailed to the ground using metal spikes.

7500510-F-4278-48-B4-AE0-A-5-E7-C58-CBBD

74-CB8-FB8-F175-4-B20-BE7-E-8-BFD36-DDC9

See. That’s what I had planned on doing but steel is apparently worth its weight in gold right now. Couple weeks ago steel stock was $48 for a 4’ stick at TSC. I haven’t gone to my “local” metal store as it’s an hour away in a direction I normally don’t travel 

1 hour ago, X5SigChris said:

See. That’s what I had planned on doing but steel is apparently worth its weight in gold right now. Couple weeks ago steel stock was $48 for a 4’ stick at TSC. I haven’t gone to my “local” metal store as it’s an hour away in a direction I normally don’t travel 

Yep steel has skyrocketed in price.

19 minutes ago, BiknSwans said:

Firring strips (1"x2"/8') are now $6.38 at my local Lowes.  From all I can tell, it's for one, not a bundle.

I've stopped practicing weak hand shooting.

It’s bad enough I kept my scrap 1x2s so I can piece them together if needed. Shooting is already expensive enough lol

That’s why I jumped on those stands that were on sale. I have a bunch of angle iron from old equipment but by the time you take it apart, cut and clean it and weld it up you’ll have $80 bucks apiece into them just in time.  I did score a bundle of 1x2’s before the prices went nuts though. Just wish stuff was sized better for less waste. 

Edited by Farmer

30 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

No kidding! Making 30 cuts to turn 8’ sticks into 5’ ones really sucked when you look at the pile of 3’ chopsticks 

I’m going to try and cut a foot off one of the 3’, butt the 3’ & 2’ together and take that 1 foot piece and glue/screw or nail it to the back to make another 5 footer. Worth a try anyway for just home use. 

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I have a table saw so I just buy 10’ 2X4’s, cut them in half then start ripping! Even adding the cost of a blade I can make hundreds of target sticks cheaper than buying them.

Don’t give me a reason to buy a table saw lol. Been eyeing one for a while now. Wife even wants me to get one because then she can ask for more projects 

Don’t give me a reason to buy a table saw lol. Been eyeing one for a while now. Wife even wants me to get one because then she can ask for more projects 

Unless you are a serious furniture builder you don't need a ginormous one. I have the Dewalt table top 10" and I have found no reason to spend more on a bigger one.

I made my furring strips from 2 x 4 x 12’ lumber that’s discounted 70% due to  a little bit of blemish.  I use a dewalt 12” table saw I bought when I renovated my kitchen and built my own cabinets. A pice of 2 x 4 x 12’ that normally costs $15 end up being  $4.50.

Wait just a minute. Your hardware store discounts blemished 2x4s??? Mine just piles all the crap ones on top of the good ones to the point you don’t even want to dig through them 

Are you talking about the propeller’s with bark still on them?? 🤣

2 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

Wait just a minute. Your hardware store discounts blemished 2x4s??? Mine just piles all the crap ones on top of the good ones to the point you don’t even want to dig through them 

Yup. Not just 2 x 4.

It can be hardwood plywood, pressure-treated lumber etc. You’ll know since Home Depot puts a purple mark on these blemished lumber products. My local Home Depot puts them in a separate pile from the good ones.