Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you pick your handgun bullet weight

Khaot1c

Didn't find an ideal thread for this, and it doesn't have to be caliber specific. 

Regardless of the caliber, there's typically more than one bullet weight brought to the line.

Looking at USPSA CO Nationals, everything from 115gr to 160gr was used. 

Asking "why do you shoot a xxx grain bullet?" the answers are usually "softer shooting" or "faster slide". 

How do you get to that conclusion?

What tests do you conduct to determine WHICH load you like best?

Did you start your tests from the beginning when you made other changes (higher/lower recoil spring) to the gun?

Lightest + Heaviest / 2 rounded to closest available weight. For not just target shooting it seems many times the middle of the range works well for accuracy and velocity. Good bearing surface for accuracy and case grip but not so heavy that you lose efficiency.  

9 hours ago, Farmer said:

Lightest + Heaviest / 2 rounded to closest available weight. For not just target shooting it seems many times the middle of the range works well for accuracy and velocity. Good bearing surface for accuracy and case grip but not so heavy that you lose efficiency.  

Pretty much how I ended up with 135tc from blue bullets. 
All my shooting buddy’s shoot either 124 or 147.  So I picked something in between 

I have found I generally like lighter bullets with heavier guns. When I tried some 115 blues I didn't notice much difference between them and 124s so I have stuck with the cheaper options I think I get 300 more per case or something?

I have never been a fan of 147s as I dont like the way they feel to me.

It all depends on what you are optimizing for.   If you want a softer feel, heavier bullets at lower velocity are the way to go.  If the fastest double tap is your goal, lighter is better.

When I started shooting bullseye I went with 200gr LSWC, because that's what EVERYBODY used.  Same with 180s in Limited.  I started experimenting.  My Limited gun do not like 155s.  Sights returned noticeably quicker with 165, so I stayed with them.  Same for 185s in 45.  A big improvement in Rapid Fire.

So, FWIW, I shoot 115JHPs in 9mm major, 115 plated factory for 9mm minor, 124 plated for SCSA (only because I got a great deal on 6000), and hot 147s once a year for a falling steel match.  They down steel faster.  I shoot 185s for bullseye in 45 and 200s for pin matches.  I don't shoot much 40sw anymore, but what I have loaded is 165s.  For me, the sights returning faster is way more important than felt recoil.