Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody load Win 231 in .38 Short Colt?

ysrracer

13 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I've been using Clays, but I've got 12 pounds of 231.

I'm using Bayou Bullets 160gr RN, and Blue 147gr RN.

Anybody use it?

YRR:

I used some with some 105's, 125's, and 130's and found the velocities to be pretty low and I fowled the blaster more than I expected.  My opinion, it was too slow a powder and although safe to use, just not very efficient.  

I think you are better off with a faster powder for such a small case capacity.  

And yes, I too have a lot of 231 and I really like it for most .45 ACP loads I use.

GG

I've been shooting 231/HP38 with 160 gr. bullets for a few years now, in 38 Short Colt in my 627s with great results. These powders leave a lot of granular trash in the gun until you get up to a certain pressure level, then they burn well, leaving only thin brown soot. I'm running 4 gr. of powder. For a lighter bullet, like 147, you will want to go up a little, maybe to 4.3 or 4.5. Anything between 4 and 5 grains will work, the 4.0 in my guns will knock down all the steel targets reliably with fairly low recoil. I have shot a lot of Bayou Bullets and like them a lot.

Edited by Toolguy

7 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I've been shooting 231/HP38 with 160 gr. bullets for a few years now, in 38 Short Colt in my 627s with great results. These powders leave a lot of granular trash in the gun until you get up to a certain pressure level, then they burn well, leaving only thin brown soot. I'm running 4 gr. of powder. For a lighter bullet, like 147, you will want to go up a little, maybe to 4.3 or 4.5. Anything between 4 and 5 grains will work, the 4.0 in my guns will knock down all the steel targets reliably with fairly low recoil. I have shot a lot of Bayou Bullets and like them a lot.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, xjwalt666 said:

I do 3.1gr of 231 with a 160gr SNS at 1.195 and it works pretty well for plates.  Even big poppers drop with them and they sound like mouse farts. 

Thanks, do you know the power factor or velocity?

2 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Thanks, do you know the power factor or velocity?

I never got a chance to chrono this load. It worked well for my need so I didnt bother. It does however leave a bit of unburnt powder and soot in the cylinder so I was going to up it with my next batch. 

1 hour ago, tkheard said:

I’m a big fan of N320. It doesn’t require much, and it’s very cool and clean running. I’m not a fan of burning myself on the cylinder on reloads. 

I used N320 a bit in 9mm, wish I thought of trying it in Short Colts. I really liked how clean it was in the semi auto, I'll have to give it a try next time I grab a jug.