Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Electronic Ears

Cjblackmon

I had a pear of pro ears. Paid a ton of money for them sence they had the highest nrr rating I could find. I soon traded them for some peltors tac sport which were half the price and lower nrr but worked much better.

I think The problem with the model I had was the head band. It was plasitic and didn't create a proper seal for the muffs to work the way they needed to.

I gave them away to my best friend who doesn't shoot as much.

Cheers,

Los

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to use my electronic muffs for hunting as well, so I have a quick question for all you Sordin users...

How is the quality of the audio? I have read in some reviews that the sound is a bit distorted as compared to the Pro-Ears.

Do you guys find it necessary to double plug with the Sordins when using a rifle?

Thanks

I have the Sordin Pro X and I have been very happy with the sound quality. It is much better than my Peltor Tac 6's that I upgraded from. I would feel very comfortable wearing them while patrolling or hunting. It can get boomy if you are shooting inside, and if you are shooting open indoors or ROing for a bunch of open shooters indoors I would definitely double plug, but outside I do not find that I need to double plug. I've not had any problems shooting 5.56 rifles with these muffs outdoors. Also if you do end up buying them get the gel ear cups, they are absolutely worth it.

CAZ

I have the Sordin Pro X and I have been very happy with the sound quality. It is much better than my Peltor Tac 6's that I upgraded from. I would feel very comfortable wearing them while patrolling or hunting. It can get boomy if you are shooting inside, and if you are shooting open indoors or ROing for a bunch of open shooters indoors I would definitely double plug, but outside I do not find that I need to double plug. I've not had any problems shooting 5.56 rifles with these muffs outdoors. Also if you do end up buying them get the gel ear cups, they are absolutely worth it.

CAZ

+1

Since I shoot open, I use custom molded ear plugs under my sordins. But when I am not shooting, I just wear the muffs.

sound reproduction in my Sordin's seems good to great, however there is a bit of an audible static when you have the volume turned up and there is no noise being reproduced. As far as decible reduction I would say perfect for any outdoor shooting and not enough for indoor, although I have shot a couple of indoor matches without any real discomfort. my .02

The electronics in one ear of my Pro-Ears took a dump at Area 5 so I bought a set of the EHP. You can adjust for high or low frequency and they are the first muffs I've ever had to turn the volume down on. Not that the shooting was too loud, but background came through so well that it was distracting. I don't notice any delay. Used them ROing at A5, Multi-Gun Nats and Missouri Sectional and again, only problem was hearing shooting on other ranges too well. Didn't mess with the frequency and probably should have. They're very comfortable, I've added the cotton covers and that eliminates the sweat problem. Seem to have very good battery life. I left one side on in the bag for a couple of days and the battery is still working. Did get a dying battery crackle the other day but shut it off for a while and all was good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had ProEars for years and now have the Pro Slim Gold version and Im happy. As with most muffs I wear them full time for pistol matches and change to ear plugs when I shoot a rifle or shotgun stage.

Truth be know the ear muff war is kind of like the Challenger/Mustang/ and Sulgmaro debate. They all work pretty well but its a marketing thing.

Oh here is my muffs,, or something close

IMG_0105.jpg

Edited by tnek

My Sordin Supreme Pro IVs just died after two years of sporadic use. They're boxed up to be shipped back to the distributor...they said they'll try to fix them. There isn't any provision for sending them back to the manufacturer that I'm aware of. If they can't fix them, I'm looking at $260 or so down the drain. R,

I've been using the regular peltor's for years now and thought they were fantastic. I just upgraded to the Peltor Tac Pro electronic and HOLY MOLEY!!!! What a huge difference in fit and sealing around the ears. They're obviously heavier but they sure do fit great. No doubt at all that they're going to stay in place when I go bouncing through a stage. The big test will be tomorrow at the range to see how the electronics work out. +1 on Peltor Tac Pro. :cheers:

I just got some Radian Pro-Amps. They did me wrong on the first use. I'm not exactly sure what happened, perhaps the fit on my ears was bad around my shooting glasses... But with the mics on they were not turning off for neighboring shots. I was indoor and they blasted my ears with amplified "bangs". I then turned them off and still felt the noise was really excessive, not even as good as cheap muffs. My ears left ringing like crazy.

The next day I was outdoor and they worked fine, and I was better about making a good fit over my glasses.

So I don't know what was up that first use, I'll see if it happens again indoors.

I have Supreme Pro and Dual Pro. I like them a lot.

Supreme Pro

Provides optimum protection with high amplification, AUX input and watertight battery compartment. Both earmuffs are shaped to suit both right-handed and left-handed shooters.

Dual Pro

The complete hearing protector combines active noise attenuation with FM radio. It provides maximum security and convenience. Allows safe listening to the radio at the same time as you can hear warning signals, moving vehicles and other important information.

A few large buttons allow simple operation even when you are wearing gloves.

Dual can be connected to most audio sources, such as communication radios, CD players, MP3 players, etc.

• 1 month later...

Do the Peltor TacPro's work well with rifles and do they either include gels or are they available?

I think I may have read something here about the latter but can't seem to find where I saw it.

How's the gain recovery time on these also? I'm hoping for instantaneous.

Thanks.

Edited by Pac8541

Do the Peltor TacPro's work well with rifles and do they either include gels or are they available?

I think I may have read something here about the latter but can't seem to find where I saw it.

How's the gain recovery time on these also? I'm hoping for instantaneous.

Thanks.

mine came with the gel ear seals, and I have no problem shooting a rifle or shotgun with them, they look bulky, but I simply adjust the cups higher to clear the stock

I don't quite know what you mean by gain recovery, but I can easily carry out a conversation with them on, while there's shooting going on. no clipping, volume stays constant

Those were the answers I was looking for, thank you rishii.

Gain recovery: I wasn't sure what the correct terminology was for this function but your answer addressed what I was getting at. Someone on page 1 referred to it as "gain recovery" so I stole the term. Thanks.