Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another eyeball/glasses question

konkapot

Still struggling with being old and blind. 

I have prescription glasses that I shoot with. Generally, the prescription seems to be correct. 

However, today I shot a stage that made me doubt this. Final stage of the day; no vision problems at all. 

Right handed shooter. 

Moved left with a stack of barrels on my right. Went to engage an array and could not see my front sight. For a moment I thought maybe it had gotten knocked off the gun. I think I used my left eye and finished the array. RO interference resulted in an offered re-shoot, which I gladly took. 

Same exact thing happened on the re-shoot. The array on the right went fine, the array on the left went fine, and then final array (again) was where I couldn't find/focus on the sights. 

Would love to hear from fellow glasses wearers on this frustrating experience. 

Lots of questions. When was your last eye exam? How old are you? There are many reasons to lose fixation. You could be developing an eye muscle weakness. You could have mild cataracts causing a loss of contrast which causes the sight to blend into certain backgrounds. The answer to contrast is to wear a yellow or other high contrast lens color. The one fact that seems to be important, is that the problem occurs at different stages and times. Varying color and lighting conditions can have an effect on the aging eye. Even dryness can fog out the vision long enough to lose that front sight. If you trust your eye doctor, you should talk to him/her about you vision issues. 

It's been approximately 4 months since I had an eye exam and got these glasses. 52 years old. 

In the time since, I've shot probably 30 matches and this is the first occurence. I've tried via dryfire and could not re create. 

Part of the failure here is my inability to explain what happened.

On reflection I am wondering if having the barrels LEAVE my peripheral vision to the right while I  indexed on targets to my left resulted in my right eye being unable to focus or even pick up the front sight. 

I had to move the gun around a good bit to pick up the sights. I could SEE the slide but couldn't find the sights. I believe(?) that I ended up using my left eye to focus on the sights and finish that array. 

Some of the best eye exercises that I know are for fixation. There are many. You are probably correct that you are losing the sights and need to continue with the opposite eye to pick up the sight picture. There are others but try this one to start...

Day or night match?  I discovered my near vision for the front sight when I started shooting some indoor IDPA matches at night.  Youngeyes helped a A LOT by  putting me in a multi-focal lens in my dominant eye.  Outdoors, I am still GTG for irons.  However, inside with artificial light, I can barely focus on the front sight.