Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Possible Gun Ban In Canada

Our Liberal party leader Paul Martin-our Prime Minister stated last Thursday that is was time for a change. In respect to recent events in the Ontario area with gun related violence and shooting deaths, he proposed the ban of handguns and seeks for it to be Nation wide. We have been legislated to death with restrictions leading up to now, and what a kick in the nads this is. There has been lots of lobbying going on, and more now than ever. I hope that even if re-elected; (we vote in January) we can persuade them or reason with the government to keep our handguns. It sure is big news here, even non-gun owners are questioning the logistics behind it all.

• 9 years later...

Back in the news. The liberal party won the election yesterday (majority) and with it comes their desire to follow the Australian model of gun control....which means severe restrictions and/or bans on ARs and handguns.

We'll keep fighting as long as we can, but at this point it's definitely possible that visiting the US to shoot the amazing matches you guys have will be a thing of the past.

We'll keep fighting as long as we can, but at this point it's definitely possible that visiting the US to shoot the amazing matches you guys have will be a thing of the past.

You can always contact your match directors to see if there are rental/borrow guns available if this turns out to be true.

I'm not familiar with bank safe deposit box rules but could you store your equipment in a safe deposit box located in the US and retrieve it when going to a match in the US?

I'm sure it's expensive and time consuming.

You could keep it with a friend that lives in the US but that's an awful lot of trust that's required.

Hmmm.

Might not be possible after thinking about it.

It would be considered importation under US federal law since it won't be leaving the US.

Yes....the ATF form that Canadians obtain to bring their firearms into the US is for temporary import only and you must return to Canadian with said firearms at the end of the trip

You can always contact your match directors to see if there are rental/borrow guns available if this turns out to be true.

While I am sure there are many great MDs and competitors out there who would do this, its not really ideal for competitive shooters....people that shoot for fun yes, but competitively it makes it hard.

Our Liberal party leader Paul Martin-our Prime Minister stated last Thursday that is was time for a change. In respect to recent events in the Ontario area with gun related violence and shooting deaths, he proposed the ban of handguns and seeks for it to be Nation wide. We have been legislated to death with restrictions leading up to now, and what a kick in the nads this is. There has been lots of lobbying going on, and more now than ever. I hope that even if re-elected; (we vote in January) we can persuade them or reason with the government to keep our handguns. It sure is big news here, even non-gun owners are questioning the logistics behind it all.

Sounds like where I live which is california. The only reason we don't have an outright gun ban here is because our supreme court affirmed our right to own guns, but they have taken away all our other gun rights. Our "next governor" Gavin newsome is about to ram through a new law requiring confiscation of any and all magazines which exceed ten rounds and will require background checks just to buy ammo which will eliminate most places which presently sell ammo. Can't outlaw the guns then attack the ammo........