Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Recoil Springs

boudreux

6 minutes ago, echotango said:

Switching back to a 13#.  First shot on the 12 cracked my glass.  I have cracked quite a few sights with a 12#.  I have so many new springs(Sig 12#, Wolff 13# var, ISMI 12#, ISMI 12.5) I am going to put them for sale.  I usually buy 3 or 6 at a time, lol.  Thanks for your help. 

Wow!

This in CO?  What PF you running?

🤔

41 minutes ago, echotango said:

Switching back to a 13#.  First shot on the 12 cracked my glass.  I have cracked quite a few sights with a 12#.  I have so many new springs(Sig 12#, Wolff 13# var, ISMI 12#, ISMI 12.5) I am going to put them for sale.  I usually buy 3 or 6 at a time, lol.  Thanks for your help. 

‘I’ve never cracked the glass on a sight from just shooting. Tens of thousands of rounds with a 12lb spring. Are you sure this wasn’t just a coincidence?

23 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

‘I’ve never cracked the glass on a sight from just shooting. Tens of thousands of rounds with a 12lb spring. Are you sure this wasn’t just a coincidence?

Not sure. Have prob 15k with a 13 and no issue. I've cracked about 5 3XL's using 12's. 

1 hour ago, echotango said:

Not sure. Have prob 15k with a 13 and no issue. I've cracked about 5 3XL's using 12's. 

hmmmmm.... I'm starting to be a little concerned with the Romeo 3 series after hearing this.

I've had to send two Romeo 3 Max back due to cracked glass.

In each case the glass was cracked across the base.

These were both on X5's with 13 pound springs. Ammo was 124 FMJ at around 130 PF.

2 hours ago, echotango said:

1 hour ago, ddc said:

hmmmmm.... I'm starting to be a little concerned with the Romeo 3 series after hearing this.

I've had to send two Romeo 3 Max back due to cracked glass.

In each case the glass was cracked across the base.

These were both on X5's with 13 pound springs. Ammo was 124 FMJ at around 130 PF.

@echotango  @ddc

This has seriously sparked my interest since I'm using the P320 MAX and probably don't have a lot of rounds on it yet.  And it's been working fine with the 12# spring; even with some 136+ test loads.

First thing that comes to mind is what are the torque specs for the mounting screws?  IIRC, I had read that at one time Sig recommended somewhere around 30 in/lbs for the tightening torque.  And IMO, that seems way too high!  But I've not had to check the screws on the MAX as it came pre-mounted.........

The SRO and 2 Holosuns I have all recommend 15 in/lbs.....

Thanks!

Never checked the torque specs. Ran them on my open guns and CO guns. Hand tight with a drop of blue loctite.

I have 5 of them. Only time I've ever had an issue with the glass was on my co guns when running a 12#. Friend bought a max and ran the 12# and cracked it within 500 rnds. Other buddy running a 14, no issues. 

Same with my wife's max. 12, crack. 13, good to go. Not scientific, but......

Edited by echotango

56 minutes ago, echotango said:

Never checked the torque specs. Ran them on my open guns and CO guns. Hand tight with a drop of blue loctite.

I have 5 of them. Only time I've ever had an issue with the glass was on my co guns when running a 12#. Friend bought a max and ran the 12# and cracked it within 500 rnds. Other buddy running a 14, no issues. 

Same with my wife's max. 12, crack. 13, good to go. Not scientific, but......

Wow!  Definitely an unusual situation.........

We're all these rc springs you refer to the 6"/1911 lengths?  Or the full length Sig spec?

🤔

9 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

We're all these rc springs you refer to the 6"/1911 lengths?  Or the full length Sig spec?

🤔

Factory Sig 12#, ISMI X5 12#(same length as factory), Sprinco 12#(longer than most 1911). All long springs.  

Edited by echotango

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

🤔

Taylor Tactical springs from BSPS.  Sold as "1911/2011/P320 recoil springs".

I don't know about torque. Cinched them down about as tight as I was comfortable. JB Weld Blue Perma-Lock.

I've since moved to 14#. We will see.

As @echotangohas indicated Sig CS has been very responsive.

Love the sight. 

54 minutes ago, ddc said:

Taylor Tactical springs from BSPS.  Sold as "1911/2011/P320 recoil springs".

I don't know about torque. Cinched them down about as tight as I was comfortable. JB Weld Blue Perma-Lock.

I've since moved to 14#. We will see.

As @echotangohas indicated Sig CS has been very responsive.

Love the sight. 

Thanks!

👍