Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock MOS plate screws

herky

There are a bunch of reasons why this happens.  Some are installation errors (over-torqueing the screws) or maybe the screws were made of softer metal than others.  I usually recommend replacing the screws with ones of known quality (Grade 8 from McMaster-Carr; you'll have to buy a box of 100 of them, but they're good and you'll be the "go-to guy" for all of your shooting buddies soon).

13 in-lb for the Plate-to-Slide screws and around 15 in-lb. for the Sight-to-Plate screws.

I am not sure if the sight came off or if the plate/sight combo exited.  If the sight ONLY fell off (the plate stayed on the pistol), the above applies.  If the plate also came off, I'd get Grade 8 screws for it too.  When installing, "pre-install" the sight onto the plate to absolutely ensure that the sight's screws do not protrude any at all on the bottom of the plate.  I see a surprising number of pistols where the screw protrudes and bears against the slide.  That levers the plate away from the slide and puts undue stress on the plate screws, guaranteeing eventual breakage.

So you don't have to buy the 100-pack at McMaster-Carr, I'd grab two or three packs of these:

https://www.battlewerx.com/glock-mos-adapter-plate-replacement-screws-black-pair/

Plus they have "brand-specific" packs that'll include the optic mounting screws too, like this:

https://www.battlewerx.com/replacement-screw-kit-for-glock-mos-trijicon-rmr/

• 2 weeks later...

Braxton1,  I’m replacing a broken ZEV slide with a similar slide, It has the posts.  It looks like you install the RMR directly to the slide cut and use the blue locktite.  Does that sound right to you?

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the same problem at a match today... My screws connecting the adapter plate to the slide sheared off after about 20,000 rounds, in the middle of the stage. The screws in the slide are just below flush and I had lock tited them and tightened to 15in-lb for both the adapter and sight. Anyone have any good experiences getting the screws out of the slide?

Seems a little silly to try and send back to Glock to get them out. I'm also a little worried about the issue happening again. If something was on incorrectly I would have expected a problem much earlier.

Properly-torqued screws are relatively easy to remove if they break.  Just heat up the screw until the Loc-tite begins to smoke.  A left-hand drill bit will often remove the screw by itself as soon as it starts to grab.

Get the Battlewerx kits referred to above.