Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 trigger

Stafford

I have a Gen 5 17 that I keep as a back up gun for USPSA CO. It isn’t used for anything else other than range practice. I’ve debated adding a trigger to this pistol and have kind of narrowed it to three options. Keep it stock, add a minus connector, or go full in with a Johnny Glock competition. 

Any opinions on the Gen 5 stock trigger? 

Edited by Stafford

Just picked up another glock 34 gen 5, with the 4.5 lb stock trigger in it, have to say this new one is by far the best stock glock trigger ive ever seen in a out of the box glock. Now its nothing compared to a modded one but it for sure is totally shootable.  Or you can slap a timney in it on sale at midway  

10 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

Just picked up another glock 34 gen 5, with the 4.5 lb stock trigger in it, have to say this new one is by far the best stock glock trigger ive ever seen in a out of the box glock. Now its nothing compared to a modded one but it for sure is totally shootable.  Or you can slap a timney in it on sale at midway  

Was set on the Timney, but I keep reading/hearing of reset issues. One of my buddies who is a Glock guy, had Johnny Glock in all of his Glocks. Then switched out to Timney but had reset issues unless he kept the internals very clean which he wasn’t going to do. Removed Timney’s and returned everything to JG.

Timney price is tempting, but I’m a bit wary.

You can do the "25 cent Trigger Job" on a Gen5 and it feels great.  It's not "Johnny Glocks Great", but you save $199.75 too.  🙂

On mine, I used the Taran Tactical GrandMaster kit.  I was very please with it.

My only caution on the Gen5 trigger is DO NOT TRY LIGHTENED FIRING PINS.  I prefer to use Titanium pins in Gen3/Gen4 builds, but found that anything other than the factory "harder than woodpecker lips" Firing Pins just don't last in Gen5's.  The Gen5 exerts a different stress on the Pin than previous generations and titanium and softer steels just aren't up to the task.

Edited by Braxton1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:19 AM, Braxton1 said:

You can do the "25 cent Trigger Job" on a Gen5 and it feels great.  It's not "Johnny Glocks Great", but you save $199.75 too.  🙂

On mine, I used the Taran Tactical GrandMaster kit.  I was very please with it.

My only caution on the Gen5 trigger is DO NOT TRY LIGHTENED FIRING PINS.  I prefer to use Titanium pins in Gen3/Gen4 builds, but found that anything other than the factory "harder than woodpecker lips" Firing Pins just don't last in Gen5's.  The Gen5 exerts a different stress on the Pin than previous generations and titanium and softer steels just aren't up to the task.

I agree,  that gen 5 trigger is really nice right, out the box. I shoot my Glock 19 gen 5 with a hs507C.  Shoot it for IDPA and 3 gun, But it is also my carry gun so I Let the trigger alone and just learn to shoot it with the factory trigger. I don't feel like I'm handicapped in competition at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two 34.5 with Timney triggers in them. One was an “older gen” and a new one. The new one definitely has a stronger reset to it, maybe Timney upgraded their springs ? 
I did have one that the bar was out of spec so they replaced it after a few emails. 
mine is paired with a zev connector and it’s been working great. 

• 1 year later...

I thought I would need a new trigger on my 34.5. But after looking at the cost I opted to try a Black Yikes connector from the Glock store. It made a difference and now I don’t think I will buy a whole trigger. It’s lighter and more revolver ish with a smooth squeeze and no real wall.  

On 10/16/2022 at 7:37 AM, Stafford said:

Anyone running the Gen 5 stock?

I cuurently shoot a stock gen 5 G-45, and a gen 4 G-19.  I've never shot anything other than stock triggers on duty Glocks from 1997 on.  Honestly never felt much difference once they're broken in a bit.

I just started IDPA and am just trying to challenge myself to stay proficient with stock carry guns.

Edited by Bojack