Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing with minor ammo

Murzikrv

In my opinion it’s not as good as shooting major ammo. Assuming that’s what you use in a match. The timing and concussion is different. The point of impact can be different.

You can get value out of it. It just not as good as shooting your match ammo.

Good idea, only because you have a lot of it cheap.  Your timing for double taps will be different (slower) than when you shoot major.  Perfect for practicing draw and first shot on target.

I use my backup major gun for shooting minor.  I put a 6V recoil spring in and shoot 144PF Open loads for SCSA.  It also works with factory ammo.  I use the factory ammo for draw and fire practice.  Fortunately, all three loads shoot to the same POI.

Not a bad idea, just be realistic on what you think you are learning, gun handling, aiming, shooting sooner, calling shots are probably great to focus on, "double taps" are probably the wrong thing to focus on because that's really saying training recoil control and timing and at minor both will be very different.

On the bright side unless you have some strange problems with recoil control you can work on all the stuff that will cut real time off your stages, a couple hundredths off your splits wont.

• 3 weeks later...