Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tevo CZ Thumb Lock

Chappytactical

Nice idea, but are we talking about USPSA Carry Optics?  if so, who makes a holster that will accommodate the slide stop/thumb rest *and* be legal for CO (distance from the inside of the belt)?  Nobody seems to make one for the SSI Nitro Fin...

It’s actually pretty nice, I have one but won’t be using it as I’ll be switching platforms next year though. For me it really helps get my support hand indexed properly. There are a few companies that make holsters for it, the Ghost Hydra P/P+ work. I was able to get a custom holster made by Steadfast Holsters that is designed specifically for the Tevo Thumb Lock, it uses the Boss hanger with 3/4” spacers and is within USPSA rules.

I regret finding this thread because I am not sure I'd resist trying. 

I tried both SSI and Eeman Tech. Neither worked for me. 

SSI had one real problem and one possible. The real problem was that when placed for an unloaded start, the gun balanced muzzle up / grip down. Very unfavorable for table pick up starts which I see a lot. My Shadows have about one ounce of weight removed from inside the dustcover so that could've contributed. I can't claim the same would happen with a fully stock frame. A possible problem was that the ledge was too low for my thumb to contact at rest so I am not sure it would've done anything. I didn't try shooting it, returned unused.

Eeman was opposite, too close and steep. I could never get my support hand position in.

I am going to see what Tevo's return policy is. May try it if I can send it back; I would not even need to shoot it. 

P.S. Upon further research, it seems like this one will be as tight for me as Eeman. Combined with no mentioning of return policy or, for that matter, no contact info on Tevo's site, I think I'll pass. 

Edited by YVK

19 hours ago, YVK said:

I regret finding this thread because I am not sure I'd resist trying. 

I tried both SSI and Eeman Tech. Neither worked for me. 

SSI had one real problem and one possible. The real problem was that when placed for an unloaded start, the gun balanced muzzle up / grip down. Very unfavorable for table pick up starts which I see a lot. My Shadows have about one ounce of weight removed from inside the dustcover so that could've contributed. I can't claim the same would happen with a fully stock frame. A possible problem was that the ledge was too low for my thumb to contact at rest so I am not sure it would've done anything. I didn't try shooting it, returned unused.

Eeman was opposite, too close and steep. I could never get my support hand position in.

I am going to see what Tevo's return policy is. May try it if I can send it back; I would not even need to shoot it. 

P.S. Upon further research, it seems like this one will be as tight for me as Eeman. Combined with no mentioning of return policy or, for that matter, no contact info on Tevo's site, I think I'll pass. 

I have a Tevo ordered and inbound this week. My friend has a SSI they are going to let me try. I'll let you know how aggressive the angle of the Tevo is. I'm hoping it will help keep my support hand higher on the gun. For some reason, I can grip a Glock higher with my support hand but can't with my S2.

2 hours ago, Chappytactical said:

I have a Tevo ordered and inbound this week. My friend has a SSI they are going to let me try. I'll let you know how aggressive the angle of the Tevo is.

I'd be really curious. If you could post a pic from the right side, that would be awesome.

On 10/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, YVK said:

Thnx, you saved me 90 bucks. I wouldn't be able to get my support hand in.

If you can somehow try one, you might like it. I just got mine and the angle is actually perfect! I thought it would be too "high" of an angle but it fits just right and I have small hands.

I could live with angle on Eeman but the location was too close on the frame. This one is even closer, and I have large hands. I would say that the thumb rest certainly worked well  - when I picked the gun and positioned my hands carefully and deliberately. It is when I went on a timer, I couldn't get support hand in fast enough and consistently. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 8:47 PM, teros135 said:

Nice idea, but are we talking about USPSA Carry Optics?  if so, who makes a holster that will accommodate the slide stop/thumb rest *and* be legal for CO (distance from the inside of the belt)?  Nobody seems to make one for the SSI Nitro Fin...

Ghost makes one and Black Scorpion is supposed to be releasing one soon as well. There are a few others too.

• 2 weeks later...

The angle of the thumb rest is the same as their thumb rest for open guns. It’s huge and feels like an open guns thumb rest. The ghost hydra holster fits the gun and can be set up for the legal distance. I don’t think I shoot any different with it on vs off.

The metal the pin is made out of should eliminate the issue of slide stops breaking. 

Pros: it’s huge, positions your hands like an open gun, the slide stop will not break. 

cons: you will need a new holster. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 8:47 PM, teros135 said:

I make holsters for the Shadow 2 that will accommodate both "thumb rests".

• 6 months later...
On 10/4/2022 at 1:42 PM, YVK said:

Thnx, you saved me 90 bucks. I wouldn't be able to get my support hand in.

I thought the same thing but it actually works well for me. I wish they figured out the machining a little better for the CZ platform (the nitrofin is a better fit in the gun) but besides that and it being pretty expensive, I like it. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, zeroryde said:

Does the gun fit in the USPSA box with the thumb rest on?

If you are meaning for production, I don't think so. The box is 1 5/8" tall and I just measured from my desk (with the gun laying flat) to the edge of the Tevo and its 2.156".

IMG_5635.jpg

Edited by Vanniek71
Added pic