Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TRACER Bullets for Reloading - Please Educate Me - Questions

Sigarmsp226

Good Day Everyone - I wanted to reach out to the BE Brian Trust to ask for a short education class as I know NOTHING about Tracer Bullets but want to learn.  I have never loaded or fired tracer ammo in my AR’s or M1A’s but thought it would fun to load and shoot a few rounds (if they do not cause harm to the rifle’s barrel or systems.  The immediate questions that come to mind are:

1> I see that there are several sellers on GunBroker that are selling “pulled” tracer bullets for 5.56/.223 and 7.62x51/308 and wanted to ask if there are certain bullets I should stay away from?
2> Does it require a special powder or primer (magnum vs. standard) when loading tracer rounds?
3> Do tracer rounds need to be loaded to a minimum velocity?
4> Can/Do tracer rounds cause damage (chemicals used in the tracer round) to the rifles they are fired in?

I ask for any/all details anyone can provide me as I consider venturing into this unknown reloading area.  I do not want to shoot hundreds of tracer rounds back to back but living in the country and having a safe berm to shoot into (80 yards away, I thought it would be fun to load and shoot a few of these when the evening skies are moving in.   

Thanks in advance for any information provided…..Sigarmsp226

Edited by Sigarmsp226

I have never reloaded tracer, so I can't help you there, but I have lit many machine gun ranges on fire shooting tracers.

If there is any fire danger for your area, don't shoot tracers! They will start brush fires quickly. Even with a good berm, you'll get ricochets that end up outside your shooting lane.

Other than that, have fun :) 

Here’s a couple I ran across the other day. I wasn’t looking for tracer info but was searching for info about H335 being a tracer powder because supposedly it burns hotter which is BS. Hope this helps. 

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Good_powder_to_use_for_5_56_tracer_loads_/42-284675/

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/223-tracer-recipes.128860/

I’ve loaded lots of tracers. Have always used H335 for 5.56 projectiles and RL15 for 7.62. 

One note is that tracers usually don’t ignite until well past 100 yards. Take that into account when testing if you’re sighting in at 100 and wondering why they aren’t igniting. 

To be honest, I find the .22 or 9mm tracers are a lot more fun at short distances. The 5.56 & 7.62 are more fun for machine gun shoots. 

Abbey - Thanks Sir for your post and information about the 223/5.56 and 308/7.62 rounds not igniting until after 100 rounds - did not know this. I had not considered the 9mm Tracer round and I shoot my SMG and PCC in my backyard often. I will research this as a way to scratch this itch (already loaded or projectiles for loading).  I currently have 22LR Tracer rounds and that is what got me thinking about wanting a reloadable round.  Thanks Again for taking time to respond to my OP….

Edited by Sigarmsp226

If you have a subgun, I highly recommend looking into the 9mm tracers (or 45 if that’s what your SMG shoots).

super fun doing dusk tracer shoots with my Uzi

Edited to add I’ve never reloaded pistol tracers. The projectiles seemed harder to find than loaded ammo. 

Edited by Abbey