Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

92X Performance Wrap-Around Grips NOW @ Lok Grips

Stony Lane

So, anyone got their grip yet?

Which one did you get?

Is it all it should be?

I ordered the thin, which only comes in round back, kind of wanted the thin but with the standard backstrap, but this wasn't an option.

Hopefully it's thinner than my home-made grip I devised from a Hogue G10 grip, which is thicker than I'd prefer.

LOK grip arrives Monday, we'll see.

Got my grips, got the thin round models. I was worried they'd be no better than my home-made set, especially at the price, but they work for me. I was never able to get my home-made grips thin enough, worried about going too far and having to start over, these are as thin as they could be and make the gun point well. I just wish, purely for aesthetics, that the back of the grip went to the end of the gun's grip frame. 

Good job LOK.

Edited by robertg5322

On 8/5/2022 at 7:51 AM, Stony Lane said:

From Lok Grips:

"I forgot to mention... We don't make the grip go all the way to the bottom so we can leave room for a magwell. Ours will also be coming soon! Early feedback is 'You can reload blindfolded!'"

I sure hope they do that. I continue to mess around w/ the plastic golf ball grip that came w/ the gun. I have made it feel good to me except for that missing bottom section. I have to fill it in or the gun points low for me on a quick dry fire from low ready. I could live w/ it but each time I pick my M9A1 it points perfectly so I am not willing to adjust myself for one gun. I thought about trying a set of LOK but at that price I am not willing to spend it and still need to mod them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have made up several test grips trying to get the old feel on the new gun. Problem is that Beretta changed the shape of the grip frame. I have no idea why. The standard and Vertec frame step down the width by 3mm or so per side for the rear 4-8mm. The X Def frame is perfectly flat.

10169683_01_wtb_beretta_92fs_m9_m9a1_fra

The problem is that w/o that step down, anything you try to add at the rear to simulate the standard shape has to wrap around the corner and necessarily adds thickness. I hacked a set of the rubber wrap around grip for the M9A3. Trying to take out the mass that fits into step-down on the M9A3 I was able to get it to fit the X Def but the grip width was way up. I tried using a G10 grip for a standard 92fs and took out that added mass but the rear edge of the grip gets real thin. But w/ the fs grips on the X Def I tried filling between the overhanging rear edges. I molded  piece of kydex over a standard frame and then cut, filed, etc so it would fit between the grip panel edges. But how to keep it there--grip tape worked but was ugly and I like that as an add-on not as a needed part. This AM I cut up that rubber M9A3 grip to make an insert. Got it to work fairly well but the thin rubber portion (<1/16") I stuck between the grips and the frame to hold it in position (so it would stay w/o tape) of course spaced the rear of the grips out that 1/16" on each side. During all these mods I also tried on the M9A1 a lot of grips that I have had but not used for quite a while. I have been using Super Aggressive G10 grips from Stoner cnc for the last 2-3 years. I found that I kind of liked the Langdon G10 grips which are real thin. I also liked the stock X Def plain panels which are pretty thin. So, like robertg, I ordered the round/thin grips from LOK. Wish they had traditional/thin but I found on the wraparound grips that came w/ the gun I could mod the golf ball shape a little to be more traditional. The problem w/ them is that whatever rubber/plastic compound they are made of there is no way I could find to grind or sand away material and end up w/ a nice surface finish.

My final comment re LOK. I think they are making a big mistake w/ lopping the bottom of the grips short. I hate it and fill mine in w/ tape and it pi$$e$ me off that I need to do that. They do it so their coming mag well will fit? 1- the X Def and X Perf already have a much larger magwell flare than any 92 to date. 2- If I want to add a mag well I could easily do my own lopping. Removing material is easy, adding material is hard. 

52 minutes ago, CraigS said:

Well, I have made up several test grips trying to get the old feel on the new gun. Problem is that Beretta changed the shape of the grip frame. I have no idea why. The standard and Vertec frame step down the width by 3mm or so per side for the rear 4-8mm. The X Def frame is perfectly flat.

The problem is that w/o that step down, anything you try to add at the rear to simulate the standard shape has to wrap around the corner and necessarily adds thickness. I hacked a set of the rubber wrap around grip for the M9A3. Trying to take out the mass that fits into step-down on the M9A3 I was able to get it to fit the X Def but the grip width was way up. I tried using a G10 grip for a standard 92fs and took out that added mass but the rear edge of the grip gets real thin. But w/ the fs grips on the X Def I tried filling between the overhanging rear edges. I molded  piece of kydex over a standard frame and then cut, filed, etc so it would fit between the grip panel edges. But how to keep it there--grip tape worked but was ugly and I like that as an add-on not as a needed part. This AM I cut up that rubber M9A3 grip to make an insert. Got it to work fairly well but the thin rubber portion (<1/16") I stuck between the grips and the frame to hold it in position (so it would stay w/o tape) of course spaced the rear of the grips out that 1/16" on each side. During all these mods I also tried on the M9A1 a lot of grips that I have had but not used for quite a while. I have been using Super Aggressive G10 grips from Stoner cnc for the last 2-3 years. I found that I kind of liked the Langdon G10 grips which are real thin. I also liked the stock X Def plain panels which are pretty thin. So, like robertg, I ordered the round/thin grips from LOK. Wish they had traditional/thin but I found on the wraparound grips that came w/ the gun I could mod the golf ball shape a little to be more traditional. The problem w/ them is that whatever rubber/plastic compound they are made of there is no way I could find to grind or sand away material and end up w/ a nice surface finish.

My final comment re LOK. I think they are making a big mistake w/ lopping the bottom of the grips short. I hate it and fill mine in w/ tape and it pi$$e$ me off that I need to do that. They do it so their coming mag well will fit? 1- the X Def and X Perf already have a much larger magwell flare than any 92 to date. 2- If I want to add a mag well I could easily do my own lopping. Removing material is easy, adding material is hard. 

Yeah, at this point I like everything but the look of the LOK grip. That space at the bottom rear looks incomplete. I also don't see a huge market for magwells for this gun, but ok, I get it.

Functionally they're better than my home made G10 grip, and miles better than the garbage Beretta puts on the gun.

Just wish they weren't so pricey, but I'm guessing they don't expect to sell a whole lot of them, so I give them credit for making the grips at all.

Yep at least someone is making grips for it. I blame the entire problem on Beretta. I have an M9A3 w/ the conversion grip like you modded for the X. That grip is 100% perfect for me. Why they had to change the frame I can't understand. I don't remember if yours is a Performance or a Defensive but my Defensive has many places on both slide and frame where they milled away a bunch of steel. I assume they needed to do that to get the weight down. Heck, if they made the grip frame same as a plain X or Vertec they would have lost a bunch of weight right there. 

On 8/23/2022 at 6:00 PM, CraigS said:

The stock grips stop there too. In order to make the grip go to the very bottom, the material would need to be thicker at the bottom. This means the grip would have to also flare out at the bottom. This would drastically change the shape of the grip and you would end up with a very thick grip(at least at the bottom). You could make the grip only go to the bottom on the backstrap, but then you would end up with an abrupt change from the side to the backstrap where the stock grip normally stops. You wouldn't be able to have a curved transition at that corner either because the material would get too thick.

Edited by Crutherland

• 4 weeks later...

I got the LOK ball shape wrap around grip and didn't really like it even after re-shaping the ball some. I was thinking of trying the LOK wrap arounds in the traditional back strap shape but I think they may be too thick. The wrap around that I ordered was their thin version but that isn't available in the traditional shape. So this is my current setup. I started making kydex holsters 3-4 months ago so I grabbed a piece of black kydex and molded it around the back surface of  a stock M9A1 grip. Then trimmed it. I also grabbed an old pair of StonerCNC max aggressive grips and modded them to fit the Defensive. The edges of the grips pretty well retain the spacer but I added the grip tape to really lock it in place. In all the messing around I have done w/ the grips off and on dozens of times, I realized that, w/ no grips at all, it is much easier to hit the mag release button. So yesterday I ordered a pair of LOKs thin panels for a standard 92. I will try them in place of the Stoners I am using now. This was most of a 2 day project and my wife asked if everyone spends so much time messing w/ their guns. I said I don't know but I am lucky to be retired. BTW my spacer goes all the way to the bottom of the frame.

a.jpg

Edited by CraigS