Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring poundage?

jklp

Hi all, I'm finally back in the game after a long hiatus and picked up a Shadow 2 OR for USPSA Carry Optics class.  Will a middle of the road middle aged shooter tell the difference between a 11-pound recoilspring and 12?  My buddy said to get a 12, but I can only find 11 locally.   TIA

Edited by jklp

You will need to go to an online vendor such a Cajun Gunworks, CZ Customs, Patriot Defense, or Wolff Springs to get a larger variety. The ammo you use will determine what spring you will need.

Edited by himurax13

Pick your spring based on what gives you the best return to zero. Take a slow mo video of yourself shooting and see how the muzzle behaves, adjust from there. Yes 1 pound can make a difference for any shooter, but this may be a low yield endeavor depending on your level of participation and recoil control 

I think 11lbs is just the safest bet, as from what I understand it's not gonna make the slide completely smash the frame up after every shot to the same violent degree as an 8lbs or 9lbs recoil spring. If you happen to wanna use slightly hotter ammo then 13lbs is what I'd tell ya, but as I said previously, 11 is the most likely to work. Just buy a CGW Recoil Spring Calibration kit, switch the spring after each half or each full magazine, and stick to the one you like most. 

• 5 months later...

No, no, no.  Nobody cares where the brass ejects to, just that it ejects, reliably. 

What we DO care about is sight return.  You're looking for the spring that has the front sight (or dot) returning to the same spot (your POA) after the recoil. 

For my particular setup (Shadow 1, RTS2), bullet and load, and grip/shooting style, a 11# works best.  With a regular iron sight, it was 10#. 

You have to try different combos to find out what works for you (and that may change over time).  Good luck!