Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions About Xd-40

zhunter

I presently carry a Glock 22, but don't like it due to the different grip angle from my competition gun, a 2011. I don't feel that confident with it, especially under a self-defense situation with the different point of aim.

So.....

I am considerig getting an XD-40 for carry purposes. What are your opinions on the gun and the point of aim being more similar to the 2011?

Thanks for your ideas.

ZH

I shoot a 1911 grip angle also, but love Glocks......yes they have a different grip angle but it is minor at 7yrds (combat distance). I had an XD 9 once and had to put a grip sleeve on it to get it to point right. If you get an XD you will need to change the sights to get it to hit like you expect, because if I remember correct they use a behind the dot sight in...not a top of the post. Plus the trigger is different than a glock. I have short fingers big palm so everything is a personal observation. <_<

The only "downside" to the XD is the trigger, it isn't as light as my STI.

My .02

Ray

That can be taken care of two if you like a crisp 2 -2.5 trigger with minimal overtravel :)

I carry one in 9mm because you can hold 17+1 in the new mags. The XD points perfect for me, and they shoot well enough I sold all my Glocks. Having the gun point the same and a similiar trigger was a big deal to me in my choice. I also carry a Sig p226 in the car because that is what the local police use.

This is why I picked the XD .40 for Production division. I shoot an STI in Limited and switching to the XD took "NO" draw, reload or sight aquisition re-training. Everything seems to be in the same spot while holding the XD.

I carry an H&K USP compact .40. It also has the same feel.

Rich of Canyon Creek can do absolute wonders with the XD trigger. Competition triggers around 2 pounds, carry triggers around 3 or 3 1/2. I don't want too light of a trigger on my carry gun. I have heard of officers swearing in court that they never touched the trigger and the gun went off. Of course they touched the trigger, but under that stress load it isn't like working the trigger on an IPSC target.

I shoot Glocks and don't shoot 1911 just for the same reason that you mentioned. I shot a friends 1911 with the last two weeks and when I mounted the gun the front sight seemed to be about and inch low. I indexed and all I could see was the rear sight. I would then have to raise the muzzle up about an inch before I could even see the front sight. Glock index is burned into my system. One of the reason that I will probably buy a G26 for carry, I shoot a G34 to compete with.

Another fine pistol these days for you 1911 types is the new CZ P01. Nice stuff.

Have fun shopping.

Rick

I carry one in 9mm because you can hold 17+1 in the new mags.

Possible silly questions, but what new mags? Are these new factory mags, and if so does that mean there might be some new 15 round .40's?

Yes they are factory but I think its 16+1

Maybe 17 9mm in the 40 mag

40 mags still 12 +1