Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck 1911

aplthird

I really apologize if this is in the wrong forum.  I have a 1911 chambered in 10mm. 

I have not shot the gun in a long time.  I was at the range I chambered a reload 155 gr OAl of 1.260. 

I released the slide and it stopped about an 1/8 of an inch from going into battery.  I removed the

guide rod  bushing but I cannot retract the slide so that I can remove the slide stop and remove the live round

. The gun was not fired.

Edited by aplthird
more info

2 minutes ago, aplthird said:

I really apologize if this is in the wrong forum.  I have a 1911 chambered in 10mm. 

I have not shot the gun in a long time.  I was at the range I chambered a reload 155 gr OAl of 1.260. 

I released the slide and it stopped about an 1/8 of an inch from going into battery.  I removed the

guide rod  bushing but I cannot retract the slide so that I can remove the slide stop and remove the live round

. The gun was not fired.

Grab slide over the top and Jan other hand into back of grip. Should do it. 

The guide rod is not held in place by the bushing.  I have numerous 1911 in other calibers .

When I try to move the slide back ~1/2 " so that I can dissasemble the gun the slide only goes

back an 1/8" and stops so I cannot remove the slide stop to dissasemble the pistol.  The slide

only moves ~1/8 so I cant remove it any ideas?

The bullet is more than likely stuck in the throat of the chamber. What Sarge was saying is to firmly grab the slide over the top and firmly slam your hand forward into the grip to extract the round. 

Usually there is enough room between the hood of the barrel and the breechface to insert a small screwdriver and just pry it open. Much easier on the hands. 

1 hour ago, aplthird said:

Thanks.  Got it out feel kinda stuiped.

If it happens in the future, the sure fire way to get it out is go to your bench, point the pistol down, put the top of the slide (the site) on the edge of the bench, with the body of the pistol away from the bench (above the floor), and push down hard & sharply. Much easier on the hands. Sarge's method works, but, believe it or not, I've seen more than one pistol fly down range out of the persons hands when they slammed their other hand into the grip to try and rack it.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:23 PM, aplthird said:

My problem when I sized the brass A few did not go full length so I had a bulge at the bottom of the case.  Oh well lesson learned. Least I learned from it.

Those are the lessons we remember the most! Glad you got it out. 

1 hour ago, aplthird said:

I have been out of shooting for a while got married etc, not an excuse.  I looked at my primers I have a sleeve of winchester primers large/small,the cost was $17.95 each.

I’m guessing those are in a white box? 😄

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, Sarge said:

Grab slide over the top and Jan other hand into back of grip. Should do it. 

Please do not put your hand over the slide.  If the round goes off out of battery, your hand is full of brass.  Seen it happen several times.

All these methods work.  But Better to be safe.

44 minutes ago, GMM50 said:

Please do not put your hand over the slide.  If the round goes off out of battery, your hand is full of brass.  Seen it happen several times.

All these methods work.  But Better to be safe.

I don’t have jambs. But I have probably seen it done this way dozens of times.