Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 2011-style recommendations....

Trumpet

Looking for a little advice here.  Years ago, I was into 1911s pretty hard but eventually sold them off (to include a Nighthawk and Miller Custom), and I've decided that I just really miss the handling/trigger etc of a good 1911.  I thought an "updated" 2011 hi-cap design in 9mm would be cool.  Now, this would just be a fun range gun (no comps), so I don't really want to spend Stacatto/comp-gun money.  I was looking at the RIA MS HC Tac combo.  From what I understand, is that it's the reiteration of Para-Ordnance.  I'm old enough to remember PO guns from years ago, which honestly makes me a little leery of the RIA.   What would y'all recommend for something preferably below $1k?

I have a RIA Tac Ultra FS HC 9mm and it runs great and shoots laser beams as long as you’re running MBX magazines. I can’t get the factory magazines to get through a full mag without jamming though.

But yes, it is pretty much your only option below $1000, and even then the MBX mags will probably take you over that.

Why would you be leery of PO,s? I have a P-14 I,ve been shooting for over 23yrs. with nary a problem and a P-16 for close to that many years. Both still run like a champ with many thousands of rounds thru them. Good luck on your search.

I was not super impressed by my RIA 1911A2 double stack when I bought one a number of years ago. Magwell machining was terrible (visibly so), tolerances were very loose, etc. Hopefully they have improved on these problems. 

I am surprised we haven't seen anyone come out with a 2011-style (grip != frame) double-stack at the thousand dollar price point yet. The patents are all expired, you can use cheaper polymer grips, the frame can be easily-machined aluminum, etc. BUL was running fairly close for a while with the SAS II guns, but has jacked their prices up substantially over the past couple years, and the SPS Pantera isn't quite that low, either. You would have figured the Turks or Filipinos would have done it by now.

1 hour ago, erwos said:

I was not super impressed by my RIA 1911A2 double stack when I bought one a number of years ago. Magwell machining was terrible (visibly so), tolerances were very loose, etc. Hopefully they have improved on these problems. 

I am surprised we haven't seen anyone come out with a 2011-style (grip != frame) double-stack at the thousand dollar price point yet. The patents are all expired, you can use cheaper polymer grips, the frame can be easily-machined aluminum, etc. BUL was running fairly close for a while with the SAS II guns, but has jacked their prices up substantially over the past couple years, and the SPS Pantera isn't quite that low, either. You would have figured the Turks or Filipinos would have done it by now.

I reached out to Tisas in their forum on AR15.com, and I was told it's something they're thinking about.

6 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

I reached out to Tisas in their forum on AR15.com, and I was told it's something they're thinking about.

If they could produce reliable guns with good steel frames and price them at $800$-900, they'd sell a bajillion of them. Hopefully they go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 3:36 PM, erwos said:

If they could produce reliable guns with good steel frames and price them at $800$-900, they'd sell a bajillion of them. Hopefully they go for it.

I would also imagine Ruger would be able to do this quite easily.