Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheel buffer

I have a carbine length stock. I use 2 "heavy" springs in the first 2 positions and a "light" in the third. The fourth hole is empty but it is really too close to the hinge to use anyhow. I use the Scheel provided spring and the provided spacer sitting atop a ~1.25" delrin rod. I really like it and the best summary of performance is there there is not one guy who tried my rifle who didn't buy the system. 😉 

FWIW: The load I run is a 115 Gr at ~1200 FPS.

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I have a carbine length stock. I use 2 "heavy" springs in the first 2 positions and a "light" in the third. The fourth hole is empty but it is really too close to the hinge to use anyhow. I use the Scheel provided spring and the provided spacer sitting atop a ~1.25" delrin rod. I really like it and the best summary of performance is there there is not one guy who tried my rifle who didn't buy the system. 😉 

FWIW: The load I run is a 115 Gr at ~1200 FPS.

Great Information,

Thanks!

Some other benefits of a Scheel system is the gun's bcg and insides stay cleaner due to the bolt staying closed longer due to the locking system. Also, the gun is lighter due to the bcg weight is out and the buffer is lighter.

1 hour ago, dmshozer1 said:

Very interesting,

Could you explain why you think that.

Seems like everyone short strokes their PCC.

I tried shortening the stroke a lot and started having trouble with my trigger not resetting right and other little hiccups. So I pulled all the extra spacers out and shot it and found the dot movement really wasn't any different than it was before. So I figured why waste time trying to find the shortest stroke I could? Now I'm running practically a full stroke. I talked to Corey at a match and told him my findings, he said he doesn't shorten his stroke either. He feels the gun shoots better with a longer stroke. Added benefit if I decide to shoot IDPA my LRBHO works now. 

I think it probably comes down to personal preference. The theory of a shorter stroke is basically to return the dot faster. But you're also stopping all that weight in less distance. It's a trade off either way you go. I know even with a full stroke I'm not out running the gun, so do I really need to speed it up?

You're best bet is to experiment and see what you like. 

10 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I tried shortening the stroke a lot and started having trouble with my trigger not resetting right and other little hiccups. So I pulled all the extra spacers out and shot it and found the dot movement really wasn't any different than it was before. So I figured why waste time trying to find the shortest stroke I could? Now I'm running practically a full stroke. I talked to Corey at a match and told him my findings, he said he doesn't shorten his stroke either. He feels the gun shoots better with a longer stroke. Added benefit if I decide to shoot IDPA my LRBHO works now. 

I think it probably comes down to personal preference. The theory of a shorter stroke is basically to return the dot faster. But you're also stopping all that weight in less distance. It's a trade off either way you go. I know even with a full stroke I'm not out running the gun, so do I really need to speed it up?

There are very few unmodified bolts out there that can reset the trigger quickly enough for most short stroke setups. Having your setup long that needed and then shimming it down is the only way (IMO) to shorten the stroke and not dramatically impact reliability. Just dropping in a 0.30" or 0.40" spacer (or more) without finding the highest point of reliability is gambling at best. 

I've got a Davinci gun on the way to my FFL with the Scheel. Will be evaluating it hard to see if it can win out over the Blitz stuff. 

51 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks

40 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

There are very few unmodified bolts out there that can reset the trigger quickly enough for most short stroke setups. Having your setup long that needed and then shimming it down is the only way (IMO) to shorten the stroke and not dramatically impact reliability. Just dropping in a 0.30" or 0.40" spacer (or more) without finding the highest point of reliability is gambling at best. 

I've got a Davinci gun on the way to my FFL with the Scheel. Will be evaluating it hard to see if it can win out over the Blitz stuff. 

My shooting partner has a Scheel Davinci,

Sweet running gun.

I am also running all the Blitz stuff. Very nice but always looking to improve.

I am trying to duplicate the Scheel set up with out the delayed buffer

to see if it's the delayed action that makes it run.

That is why all my questions about weight etc.

I have about 500 rounds of ammo through my JP with scheel system. Different powders and bullets. There's probably a ton of different stuff you could experiment with, bullet weight, charge, buffer, scheel internal springs. My experience so far is the 124gr loaded with N320 at about 135ish factor has the least mount of dot movement. i am able to hit 2 As at a 20m target in sub .20 sec consistently. Doesn't prove much but under certain conditions it can provide useful information for R&D. I have done the same with 147, 115, 135 all with N320, did not surpass the 124gr with the current setup (for now) Tried more springs in the buffer but all came down to the original spec. To be honest there is probably some work I could do to further exhaust possibilities and research for the internal scheel springs in the system, to see how those perform but I think I am rather happy with the current setup. Its time to shoot more. 

Edited by Mo Zee
Atrocious spelling. Apologies to those that read the first version.

I’ve had mine for 2 days now. Ran about 1000 rounds through it after zero’ing… playing around with the buffer system. Here’s a quick video of some doubles on a single cardboard with a transition to a steel plate rack. It’s tracks well for me. 

I’m running 3 springs on the roller. Weak/Strong/Weak 

I’m running 115gr coated with 4.0 grains of Cleanshot ~ 134PF 

It’s very flat. A quick dot movement that settles immediately back to the A zone. I shot it side by side with my old match gun that’s got the Blitz 5020ss and I dare to say the Scheel edges it out. 

I think the Blitz is more dummy proof. Just pick the appropriate action spring for your barrel length and PF. 

The Scheel can be worse than the Blitz if not set correctly to your setup… but has the potential to be much better. 

Edited by Dirty_J
  • 5 months later...