Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to me TSO in .40

moose97

My father-in-law just purchased a used TSO in .40 off Gunbroker for me as an early Christmas present. I have a general idea of what I'd like to do to this gun long term (refinishing, etc), but looking for ideas/opinions:

- Is CZC the go-to option for an aftermarket large magwell & extended mag baseplates? 

- thumb rest options? I like the one on the TS2 Green. Is that a direct replacement? 

- is the extra wide safety as good as the reviews on CZC?

- Lok grips (which I love in my SP01 ACCU Shadow) or something else? 

Edited by moose97

Nice!  Your father-in-law is not your average father-in-law.  I have a TS2 .40 that I’ve barely shot, but that is about to change.  I like the CZC basepads and wanted their IPSC magwell until I realized that it doesn’t fit the TS2.  I’ve seen a couple of CZC’s big magwells and liked their IPSC one better.  I ended up with an M Arms https://www.m-arms.eu/monarch-2-for-cz-shadow-2/ and am happy with it.  

I’m a lefty and can’t speak intelligently about thumbrests, but I tinkered with the big extended safety CZC makes and hated it.  I ended up with a Shadow 2 safety.  My TS2 came with the S2 safety, but it was right handed only.  

I put LOK grips on mine and believe they are the way to go unless you want to add weight.  

19 hours ago, moose97 said:

My father-in-law just purchased a used TSO in .40 off Gunbroker for me as an early Christmas present. I have a general idea of what I'd like to do to this gun long term (refinishing, etc), but looking for ideas/opinions:

- Is CZC the go-to option for an aftermarket large magwell & extended mag baseplates? 

- thumb rest options? I like the one on the TS2 Green. Is that a direct replacement? 

- is the extra wide safety as good as the reviews on CZC?

- Lok grips (which I love in my SP01 ACCU Shadow) or something else? 

Got my new-to-me TSO back in january. It has the stock magwell and is well worn in. I havent ever had a thought to change it really. Ive only used the CZC bases because those came with the gun. Seem to work fine, but I changed all mags over to grams FKCL-11 follower/spring kits after some initial feeding issues. Also changed to a new extractor spring.

I have been using scales grips, also came with the gun, but after about 4000 rounds now, Im thinking that I needed more of a palm swell to help tame recoil. My LOK palm swell bogies just arrived today as a matter of fact. And I can definitely see that a palm swell fills out my hand much better than the scales. I love how hard the scales bite into the hand, but I dont think they were wide enough.

On the topic of you looking for that "Racing green" thumb rest. That is the "type 3" thumb rest, and once upon a time you could find it on the CZ store. I checked for months, and eventually found one pop up at an IPSC store in slovenia and paid the price of the thumb rest in shipping alone.... I attached a few pics of the type 1 / type 3 thumbrest comparison.

Long story short, I stuck with the stock rest. It was making me really contort my grip and was not what I thought it would be. The other detail I really didnt think of was that my red hill tactical holster (and pretty much all others Ive seen) are ONLY compatible with the type 1 aka stock TSO thumb rest. In order to use that thumb rest, I would have had to convert over to my DAA race holster. 

I do have the extended safety and think its awesome for sure. I highly recommend it, and when I buy a second TSO at some point, I will also be switching that. 

Theres some pics of the gun as it sits today with the latest lok grip addition. Palm swell bogies, OD green color insert too. I like it with the orange. 

0515221043_HDR.jpg

0515221049_HDR.jpg

0704221050_HDR.jpg

0704221051_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Got my new-to-me TSO back in january. It has the stock magwell and is well worn in. I havent ever had a thought to change it really. Ive only used the CZC bases because those came with the gun. Seem to work fine, but I changed all mags over to grams FKCL-11 follower/spring kits after some initial feeding issues. Also changed to a new extractor spring.

I have been using scales grips, also came with the gun, but after about 4000 rounds now, Im thinking that I needed more of a palm swell to help tame recoil. My LOK palm swell bogies just arrived today as a matter of fact. And I can definitely see that a palm swell fills out my hand much better than the scales. I love how hard the scales bite into the hand, but I dont think they were wide enough.

On the topic of you looking for that "Racing green" thumb rest. That is the "type 3" thumb rest, and once upon a time you could find it on the CZ store. I checked for months, and eventually found one pop up at an IPSC store in slovenia and paid the price of the thumb rest in shipping alone.... I attached a few pics of the type 1 / type 3 thumbrest comparison.

Long story short, I stuck with the stock rest. It was making me really contort my grip and was not what I thought it would be. The other detail I really didnt think of was that my red hill tactical holster (and pretty much all others Ive seen) are ONLY compatible with the type 1 aka stock TSO thumb rest. In order to use that thumb rest, I would have had to convert over to my DAA race holster. 

I do have the extended safety and think its awesome for sure. I highly recommend it, and when I buy a second TSO at some point, I will also be switching that. 

Theres some pics of the gun as it sits today with the latest lok grip addition. Palm swell bogies, OD green color insert too. I like it with the orange. 

0515221043_HDR.jpg

0515221049_HDR.jpg

0704221050_HDR.jpg

0704221051_HDR.jpg

Awesome info, thanks! I shot a TS2 Green at a local CZ vendor day & really liked the thumb rest. I'm not really in a hurry to make modifications, but in my research had heard there were issues with the CZUB magwell not blending to the frame as well as it should. My TSO is being shipped from a Gunbroker auction he won (he got it for only $1275), so I won't have it in hand for probably a week or so to see if that's an issue or not. I get to go to CZ Custom tomorrow (visiting the in-laws in Phoenix) and may grab the extended safety to save on shipping, then wait on magwell & mag extensions for the time being. 

Edit - and I decided to switch to a race holster (Ghost Hydra), so not as worried about the thumb rest/holster situation. Was also looking at the Fire 4 Effect enhanced thumb rest.

Edited by moose97

23 minutes ago, moose97 said:

Awesome info, thanks! I shot a TS2 Green at a local CZ vendor day & really liked the thumb rest. I'm not really in a hurry to make modifications, but in my research had heard there were issues with the CZUB magwell not blending to the frame as well as it should. My TSO is being shipped from a Gunbroker auction he won (he got it for only $1275), so I won't have it in hand for probably a week or so to see if that's an issue or not. I get to go to CZ Custom tomorrow (visiting the in-laws in Phoenix) and may grab the extended safety to save on shipping, then wait on magwell & mag extensions for the time being. 

Edit - and I decided to switch to a race holster (Ghost Hydra), so not as worried about the thumb rest/holster situation. Was also looking at the Fire 4 Effect enhanced thumb rest.

Oh if you are that close may as well grab a few other odds and ends and spares while you are there. Maybe take a look at their base plates and snag one. Mine are pretty beat and I've been thinking of snagging new CZC ones or perhaps taylor freelance. Haven't decided

Edited by Guitarmageddon

I'd get CZC basepads and safety.

For the rest, Toni System magwell & thumb rest.  Their grips too if you like their design.  They easily have the best looking parts.  CZC is pretty utilitarian in design.  You don't need to do a thing to it for it to be good to go, except base pads.  

Agree on CZC base pads and Safety. I also prefer the CZC IPSC magwell over the CZC USPSA short / long. It is much shorter and wider. The angle works better for me and I get more consistent reloads with it. I took my CTS (Custom Tactical Sport - by CZC) to an international match a few years back and had ground down the "height" of the safety and the back of the magwell to fit the IPSC Box. Although it seemed like a pain at the time, I actually like the gun better "in the box" with the exception of having to use the +0 orange basepads.  I also use their mag springs and reduced followers but they sometimes require some slight adjustment.

For me I prefer the Henning aluminum grips. More texture than the CZC grips and I think they look better. 

Good info all. I seem to remember watching a YouTube on the magwells that don't use a set screw loosening over time, but I can't find that video now. Anyone experience this?