Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worth it to reload shotgun right now?

Pickin

7 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

I forgot what size bolt I initially used …. That I inserted the Tweeco wired welding tips into.

The OD of the tip is 0.250” .  So the head of the bolt had to be thicker than a quarter inch.

I am thinking now if I had to re-do it, I would try running the tips through a 1/4 X 20 die…to cut external threads.  Then drilling a bunch of 1/4” holes in the “dam”.  Insert threaded tip…use a (stainless???) hex nut on each side to secure the tips.

One reason is that without a lathe, just a drill press, it is total PITA to drill a hole axially down the shaft of say a 1/2 inch bolt.  Not that drilling  the other hole radially into one of the hex head flats was a picnic either.  

The other reason is you could get way more dripper bolts / orifices horizontally across the “dam”.  Which would mean more lead droplets …well…dropped per…say an hour.  More throughput = more better’er.  🙂

There are youtube videos of guys making their own dripper bolts using like some sub 1mm metric drill bit chucked in a Dremel, which is then clamped in a jig.  I don’t know if they are drilling into aluminum bolts, regular carbon steel bolts, or stainless steel bolts.  It looks like a tedious time consuming process that probably breaks a lot of drill bits.

As far as the rusty ramp goes, there’s a velcro attachment for right angle grinders and maroon scotch bright pads.  That almost polishes it.  Then I switch over to a buffing wheel chucked in corded drill.  It almost becomes a mirror.  Then I spray it with graphite spray from a local NAPA auto parts store.  

And then I plug in the electric broiler element.

Back on topic….

I ran my current component prices for 20 gauge through another online calculator just a couple of hours ago.  That shows $7.17 per box.  So that is still 4 to 5 bucks cheaper than factory 20ga AA shells from Walmart (if your Walmart still sells ammo) or Academy Sports.  

You could think of it like this:  if your range charges $7 or $8 for each round of trap/skeet, the “savings” from the first two boxes of reloads or first two rounds,  pays for the third round.  

EDIT:  just like a lot of other “Should I start reloading?” threads when it comes to rifle or pistol reloading, ultimately the answer that everybody agrees on is “You won’t save money.  But you sure will shoot more!”

I thought about using the mig tips for my L-Tec (now Esab) welder because they are 1/4X20 threaded and would be an easy nozzle. I have a small Atlas lathe so drilling my own wouldn’t be a problem either. Just really didn’t know where to start on sizing and how long of a ramp to make. I’ve seen on tube where some were made of aluminum but welding that’s a bitch VS other materials. I thought a longer ramp might give a rounder pellet, but don’t know. My biggest stumbling block is time to do it. Would like to be able to drop #6 or #4’s too being’s they are harder to find. I mostly load for pest’s, starlings, pigeons, sparrow’s ect. Fortunately I stocked up on some components a few years ago and haven’t burned through them. I have a 20ga load that uses a Top Gun hull, WW primer, 17.2g U-clays, Fed 20S1 wad and 400g of shot. I know it sounds weird but it fills the hull nicely and runs right at 1160-1175 and patterns well out of my Benelli which is a picky bastard. The top gun hulls were free and figuring with my old components they run around 4.73 per 25. The main thing I like about loading my own is I can tailor the load I want. I like to experiment with things when I can. I’ve used those Scotch Loc disks you mentioned and they do work well for clean up and welding prep. Here’s the tips, this is a medium length. 
E00C9FDC-708C-4BE6-B25D-344FD6A2C985.thumb.jpeg.5b6466dbe4a2ce702a8dc4e6ee790b2a.jpeg

Edited by Farmer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a huge thread over at the Shotgun World Forums on birdshot making:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/anyone-make-their-own-lead-shot.415048/

I got my idea for making my own birdshot maker from the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS…aka Cowboy Action Shooting)  “Wire Forum” years ago.

I shot three rounds of trap today.  The first one was with my 686 in 12 gauge using factory Federal Top Gun loads.  

Then I went back to my car to get my 725 in 20 gauge.  On the walk there, I could definitely feel it in my right shoulder.

My hunting buddy from KC swears by 3/4 ounce loads in the 12 gauge.  

so that is the other advantage to reloading your own shotgun shells. You can dial down the payload’s weight.  Less stress and wear and tear on you and your gun.  

I am thinking I have never seen factory 12 gauge shells with just 3/4 ounce of shot.

Thanks for the link. I would have thought some euro company would make a 3/4 oz loads but I don’t think so. I know they make all kinds of wads for light stuff but don’t think I’ve seen loaded rounds either. I’ve cut back on my loadings too. Been using E3 with 1 oz for my pest control. Much easier on the shoulder but still works. Funny how a 7/8 or 3/4 load patterns better out of a 12ga than a 20. 

On 7/11/2022 at 7:52 PM, Chills1994 said:

I shot three rounds of trap today.  The first one was with my 686 in 12 gauge using factory Federal Top Gun loads.  

Then I went back to my car to get my 725 in 20 gauge.  On the walk there, I could definitely feel it in my right shoulder.

My hunting buddy from KC swears by 3/4 ounce. 

I am thinking I have never seen factory 12 gauge shells with just 3/4 ounce of shot.

I see Claybuster makes a 3/4 oz wad CB0175-12 for tapered hulls. Probably what your buddy uses. With Tightwad or similar light load powders should make a inexpensive soft shooting load. I had bought some top guns a while back in 12 & 20 and found that they had pretty sharp recoil to them especially the 20ga. In fact I had several stick in my old single shot and had to pry them out of the chamber. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Amateur Trapshooting Association just wrapped up another Grand American world trapshooting championship (at the World Shooting and Recreation Complex at Sparta, IL).

I will try to post some pics here to give you an idea of costs / prices .

Factory ammo prices from what they call the “shellhouse” (which I think is run by Gamaliel shooting supply):

4614A379-9329-4C95-8239-886BA7B97857.thumb.jpeg.c8e85a948672e1da50bf1480b147093b.jpeg

That ^^^ is basically all 12 gauge ammo.

There is one 20 gauge event and one 28 gauge event , but I heard that ammo sold out quickly.

Edited by Chills1994

That blue car is a rental.  Good thing for four doors, eh?

I went to Home Depot and got two large moving boxes, which fit in the trunk.  Two medium moving boxes fit in the back seat.  And two re-purposed boxes from ChewyDOTcom were in the front passenger seat.

I found that a scoop shovel worked best:

2E3CD509-F5E5-4F8A-946C-C77C6C2CFB67.jpeg

10 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

That blue car is a rental.  Good thing for four doors, eh?

I went to Home Depot and got two large moving boxes, which fit in the trunk.  Two medium moving boxes fit in the back seat.  And two re-purposed boxes from ChewyDOTcom were in the front passenger seat.

I found that a scoop shovel worked best:

2E3CD509-F5E5-4F8A-946C-C77C6C2CFB67.jpeg

Good for you! I see quite a few STS’s in there. I don’t understand why some of the gun clubs just pitch all the hulls when they could sell them for a little extra cash for projects. Of course someone would have to go through them and no one seems to want to do anything anymore. 

I was trying to figure out when the Grand moved from Vandalia, OH to Sparta, IL.  I want to say it was 2005 / 2006 .

So I was on the Shotgun World Forum searching for Vandalia.  I found one post that said the ATA would gather up the empty hulls in Vandalia, and they had shelving racks in some other building. They would take the boxes the clay bird targets came in and fill them up with empty hulls.  Then the ATA would sell each box for $5 .

I started asking about the empty hulls back in May or June….after the U.S. Open trapshooting match.  I had my phone out with a picture I had taken back in like 2017 or 2018 ready to show the higher highers from Sparta.  The folks at the Shooting Complex looked at my pic, “Oh, yeah, those seed bags!  Yeah, that was the biggest mistake ever.  This year they are going straight into a dumpster.”

Then I asked, “So a guy could say sit behind some trap doubles event, and once that squad walks off the field you could scrounge up their hulls?”

”NOPE!  Once they hit the ground they are the property of the ATA.  Once they make it into a dumpster.  They are fair game.  Anybody can grab them then.”

8 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

I couldn’t help myself.

i must be a brass-whore-aholic or a hull-a-holic.

I shoveled out 9 more boxes of shells this morning.

Six boxes fit in the trunk:

56D20482-F270-43C5-9B34-66192AAD0199.jpeg

🤣🤣 Sounds like me! I’ve got a garbage can full of top guns and several boxes of AA’s and STS/gun club in 12 & 20. All free except for having to sort them. Not too proud to save a buck. I once got a cardboard box full of messed up loads that were wrinkled, bad crimps ect. Someone said “What do you want that old crap for? I wouldn’t shoot those.” I didn’t say anything, just took them home and salvaged the shot and some primers from the 200+ that was in the box. 😁

Edited by Farmer

• 2 months later...

I stopped by a mom and pop gunstore today.  They had 2 boxes of Winchester 12 gauge AA’s (yeah, I whopping 2 whole boxes):

8E6A9E26-91B9-46CD-830B-22D3D5AB9983.thumb.jpeg.b716760081eb10f76c88ee310384f61e.jpeg

Heck, yeah! I still reload shotgun shells!

I shot 4 rounds of skeet yesterday.  Two with the 12 gauge, and 2 with the 20 gauge.

Each round is $8 just for the birds.

That would be basically $92 total for about an hour to two hours of entertainment….if I had to buy factory shells.

I had the Mec 9000GN dialed in last night and cranked out 100 shells in 15 minutes.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...