Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worth it to reload shotgun right now?

Pickin

Hello All

With the current state of the economy and not able to find primers or if you do you'll need an arm and a leg I pose this question. 

Is it worth it to reload shotgun?  I am an avid 3 gunner and use the federal top gun round for practice and matches. Local store $13 a box. I'll need a complete setup for shotgun. Have plenty of hulls and podwer. I reload on a Dillon 750 9, 40, and 223. 

Ideas, thoughts, let me know.  I am on the fence now. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to reload for SASS, but I can't find any shot to buy.  I was going to get started and primers are available again, but without shot, what's the point?  It is absolutely cost effective to reload shotgun even at $100 a thou for primers.

2 hours ago, twodownzero said:

I would love to reload for SASS, but I can't find any shot to buy.  I was going to get started and primers are available again, but without shot, what's the point?  It is absolutely cost effective to reload shotgun even at $100 a thou for primers.

Rotometals has some but it’s $$. Have you tried stopping by a local gun club/trap house? I know a fellow who shoots trap and he got me 2 bags of re-claim and a bag of re-dropped. If you use Rem Gun clubs and AA’s it’s easy to build a 1 oz or 7/8 oz load with little powder. Clays, E3, Tghtwad ect. The top guns will work but they just take a bit more powder and getting a good crimp with 1 oz is a bit more challenging. Using scrounged hulls from the trap house I can assemble a 1 oz 1175 fps load for around $5 a box. Now that’s with primers that we’re $35 per K but you can do the math to figure out if it’s worth it to you. If you just need a couple hundred a MEC loader would work. Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by Farmer

My current cost to load a 1 ounce 12 gauge. Is $6.80.  You have to buy everything in bulk. To get that price. I buy components at least a year in advance.

Edited by AHI

I just bought a brand new Citori 725 in 20gauge.

Since I am starting with brand new Winchester AA factory ammo, and saving those hulls, I am also kinda starting from scratch with 20 gauge wads and 20 gauge powder (572 or International Clays).

so if I can get this screenshot to load, you will see my cost for a box of 25 is 7 dollars and some change:

ED604FC1-1716-43D4-9633-7B928F7505C7.thumb.png.6fdb5cd325d1f1ba6c3be86fa0211ff1.png

I had just bought my Mec 9000 GN in 20 gauge used off a guy on FB marketplace.  It was $450.  Factory Winchester AA’s in 20 when I can find them are $13 a box.

I do have the ability to make my own birdshot which drops my per box cost for 12 gauge down to $2 and some change.

which is kind of an accounting glitch.  It does take electricity to melt the lead.  It also takes electricity to graphite the shot in my old vibratory tumbler.

I am local to the World Shooting Complex in Sparta, IL.

so I went “dumpster diving” a couple of Fridays back:

00290B7B-7BF8-4332-B9DA-2CB16846AF42.thumb.jpeg.2507537f2c269999e7f9e44a028f51be.jpeg

soooo ….come about August 5th or so this year, when the ATA is having their Grand, I’ll wind up with more and varied 12 gauge hulls than I will know what to do with.

20 gauge hulls…. Not so much.

Maybe if I went over to the sporting clays or 5 stand range.

17 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

I am local to the World Shooting Complex in Sparta, IL.

so I went “dumpster diving” a couple of Fridays back:

00290B7B-7BF8-4332-B9DA-2CB16846AF42.thumb.jpeg.2507537f2c269999e7f9e44a028f51be.jpeg

soooo ….come about August 5th or so this year, when the ATA is having their Grand, I’ll wind up with more and varied 12 gauge hulls than I will know what to do with.

20 gauge hulls…. Not so much.

Maybe if I went over to the sporting clays or 5 stand range.

Many at sporting use 28g but there should be more 20’s there too. I got a mess of 20g Top Guns after a youth shoot that my cousin grabbed for me. There was a bunch of the Winchester el-cheapo’s too and they will work too, just a little more challenging to load.   Just a little info on hulls is that Fiocchi, Rio, Cheddite and some Herters (Cheddite) have a bit larger primer hole. Those brand primers are also a smidge larger so if you use them in a Fed, Rem or WW hull it can stretch the pocket and make a US primer loose.  If you use Cheddite’s in everything then it’s not a problem. I think Fiocchi is the largest. Just what everyone needs now that components are difficult to get. 

I have only ever used Cheddite 209’s.

I bought my first brick last year at the Grand from Gamaliel.  That was 40 bucks.

A local reloading store has them in consistently.

But the price is now $60 a brick.

I am saving the translucent Fiocchi’s for my hunting buddy who is thinking about reloading some buckshot rounds.

It makes it real easy to identify whats inside:

AD56DA07-80C0-4708-8992-4A248B0B977B.thumb.jpeg.4896ddb7e4ca8384ab2d08a147784c71.jpeg

I have buckets and buckets of the red AA’s and the grey AA’s .

FWIW, I have not seen Winchester 209’s on the shelf in 3 years.  I was at the US Open about 3 weeks ago.  I stopped by the Winchester booth and asked the rep “Where are the primers?”

He gave this weird smirk/smile and gave me this line that sound too well practiced, “All our primers are going into fully loaded ammunition.”

The dude was wearing a baseball style cap.

call me a “boomer”, but his bill was entirely too flat.

I reload for trap and in my O/U, they are just fine. Cost these days using new shot is still at $ 10 / box but at least I can make ammo to shoot.

To make shotgun reloads that will run 100% in an autoloader I think would be a challenge.  Not impossible but I think out of 25 there may be 4 or 5 that I wouldn't trust on the clock. 

Where I can save $ is on practice loads in which I use reclaimed shot that's half the price of new and get the box price down to $ 7 with the current cot of oprimers, wads & powder.

I'm still using up stuff I bought years ago so technically I'm around 4 but sooner or later I will need to buy new stuff.

The last station in my Mec 9000’s is a taper crimp.  (Of course, the first station is the collet resizer and depriming)

My 870 and 1100 had ZERO issues with my 12 gauge reloads.  

This is my one local Walmarts price per flat of 12ga AA’s:

12B631CF-9644-4267-AECA-A3260287F1DE.thumb.jpeg.8bf5753d384745c8caf01f5324916fcc.jpeg

For most autos, you need to run higher pressures and you should have no problems.  

Most shotgun components I am using now is from friends' estates.  You should look on places like Craig's List and other local sales lists.  

Reclaimed shot is a way to cut costs for Skeet ammo, but it will put fine scratches in your bore, and I find that it does not pattern worth a darn in Trap.  

For Skeet shooting, I find I can shoot my average with 3/4 or 7/8 ounce of Lead even in a 12 gauge, and with such loads I can shoot twice as much Skeet before fatigue sets in.  I have shot a 25 in 12 gauge Skeet with 5/8 ounce loads.  

On 6/22/2022 at 7:00 PM, Farmer said:

Rotometals has some but it’s $$. Have you tried stopping by a local gun club/trap house? I know a fellow who shoots trap and he got me 2 bags of re-claim and a bag of re-dropped. If you use Rem Gun clubs and AA’s it’s easy to build a 1 oz or 7/8 oz load with little powder. Clays, E3, Tghtwad ect. The top guns will work but they just take a bit more powder and getting a good crimp with 1 oz is a bit more challenging. Using scrounged hulls from the trap house I can assemble a 1 oz 1175 fps load for around $5 a box. Now that’s with primers that we’re $35 per K but you can do the math to figure out if it’s worth it to you. If you just need a couple hundred a MEC loader would work. Just my 2 cents. 

I will be loading 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads, 7/8 or 1 ounce are excessive for SASS.  The targets are like 15 feet away.

I would imagine our local shotgun guys have the same shortages we all have.

Fortunately I found a bag so I will be getting started now!  I finally have all I need.  Already had 3 pounds of titewad, primers, hulls, and wads.

3 hours ago, twodownzero said:

I will be loading 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads, 7/8 or 1 ounce are excessive for SASS.  The targets are like 15 feet away.

I would imagine our local shotgun guys have the same shortages we all have.

Fortunately I found a bag so I will be getting started now!  I finally have all I need.  Already had 3 pounds of titewad, primers, hulls, and wads.

Good deal! The re-claimed that I had gotten had been washed, so no barrel scratching like mentioned above. Didn’t think you really needed much of a load just wasn’t sure. I know a 1 oz @ 1150 will take out live pigeons at 40+ yards if I do my part. 

On Monday, the 4th, I went to a local range that has a voice remote for the skeet field.  I was all by myself.  :)  So I went through one box of shells  just on the first two stations.  I ended up going through 5 boxes total, all factory stuff since I haven’t reloaded any 20 gauge yet.

I stopped off at my “reloading shop” to drop off the empty hulls.  While I was there, I checked out some shot I made 10 plus years ago:

0FBC522E-E8A9-4BC8-8875-F44ABA4BE424.thumb.jpeg.46421b4899f88089b6b9897fd9ee8288.jpeg

I think those were made with own dripper bolts using Tweeco wire welding tips.

One last post.. for now…I promise.

my old “ladle” with the Jim Stuart’s “the better shotmaker” dripper bolts:

1BC3B453-1C05-4DA5-AF7E-8E7F8E5EBB3C.thumb.jpeg.b10db399a17279a9288bdfc0cc2b0d10.jpeg

It probably hasn’t been fired up in 10 to 15 years. Hence the rust spots on the ramp or lip.

with all that said, I still bought a bag of Lawrence Magnum #8 shot last week.  $55 for 25 pounds.  :(  

5 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

One last post.. for now…I promise.

my old “ladle” with the Jim Stuart’s “the better shotmaker” dripper bolts:

1BC3B453-1C05-4DA5-AF7E-8E7F8E5EBB3C.thumb.jpeg.b10db399a17279a9288bdfc0cc2b0d10.jpeg

It probably hasn’t been fired up in 10 to 15 years. Hence the rust spots on the ramp or lip.

with all that said, I still bought a bag of Lawrence Magnum #8 shot last week.  $55 for 25 pounds.  :(  

Gonna have to get out the wire wheel and fire that baby up. 😄 I was going to build one but haven’t gotten around to it yet. 

On 7/7/2022 at 2:29 PM, Farmer said:

Gonna have to get out the wire wheel and fire that baby up. 😄 I was going to build one but haven’t gotten around to it yet. 

I forgot what size bolt I initially used …. That I inserted the Tweeco wired welding tips into.

The OD of the tip is 0.250” .  So the head of the bolt had to be thicker than a quarter inch.

I am thinking now if I had to re-do it, I would try running the tips through a 1/4 X 20 die…to cut external threads.  Then drilling a bunch of 1/4” holes in the “dam”.  Insert threaded tip…use a (stainless???) hex nut on each side to secure the tips.

One reason is that without a lathe, just a drill press, it is total PITA to drill a hole axially down the shaft of say a 1/2 inch bolt.  Not that drilling  the other hole radially into one of the hex head flats was a picnic either.  

The other reason is you could get way more dripper bolts / orifices horizontally across the “dam”.  Which would mean more lead droplets …well…dropped per…say an hour.  More throughput = more better’er.  🙂

There are youtube videos of guys making their own dripper bolts using like some sub 1mm metric drill bit chucked in a Dremel, which is then clamped in a jig.  I don’t know if they are drilling into aluminum bolts, regular carbon steel bolts, or stainless steel bolts.  It looks like a tedious time consuming process that probably breaks a lot of drill bits.

As far as the rusty ramp goes, there’s a velcro attachment for right angle grinders and maroon scotch bright pads.  That almost polishes it.  Then I switch over to a buffing wheel chucked in corded drill.  It almost becomes a mirror.  Then I spray it with graphite spray from a local NAPA auto parts store.  

And then I plug in the electric broiler element.

Back on topic….

I ran my current component prices for 20 gauge through another online calculator just a couple of hours ago.  That shows $7.17 per box.  So that is still 4 to 5 bucks cheaper than factory 20ga AA shells from Walmart (if your Walmart still sells ammo) or Academy Sports.  

You could think of it like this:  if your range charges $7 or $8 for each round of trap/skeet, the “savings” from the first two boxes of reloads or first two rounds,  pays for the third round.  

EDIT:  just like a lot of other “Should I start reloading?” threads when it comes to rifle or pistol reloading, ultimately the answer that everybody agrees on is “You won’t save money.  But you sure will shoot more!”

Edited by Chills1994