Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fair price for a cz tac sport 40mm and couple questions

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys,

I am very intrested in getting into limited so I can practice Iron sights more and also intrested in getting a nice hammer fired gun as every handgun I own right now is Glock

my buddy has 2 matching cz tac sport .40 for sale, the only difference between the 2 is one has a nitro fin thumb rest and the other does not have the fin and has a lot less rounds through it

he has friends at cz custom so both have cz custom worked on triggers.

he is willing to sell me either of them, the one with the nitro fin is pretty well used as it was his main competition gun, the other has not been used barely at all. Both have adjustable sights

neither of them will come with any magazines 

he is keeping one for himself so he needs his 5 mags that have cz custom baseplates with aftermarket spring and follower to increase round count

questions

1. What would a ball park fair price be on the higher round count one with the nitro fin and what would be a fair price on the newer one without fin and low round count (keep in mind, both Come with 0 mags)

2. how much are 5 mags gonna cost with czc baseplates and the springs follower that are gonna get me to 20rds or 21, whatever the going count it

3. what spare parts are essential to have on hand for these older tac sports, do they have any parts like the shadow 2 that have a lower life expectancy? Are the parts still available?

4. Should I just buy a tactical sport orange? I assume buying from my buddy is gonna be significantly cheaper but I am kinda bummed on the no mags thing. He is gonna let me borrow the gun with mags and a belt to give it a go and make sure I like it but I have a feeling I am gonna like it

really appreciate your guys help

Edited by Bunnies4r5

3 minutes ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

1. $800-950

2. $250-300

3. If you want to raise trigger pull: hammer spring, Tanfo sear spring, TRS, floating trigger pin, and if you want to splurge CGW hammer.

4. I prefer my TSO

really appreciate it

he said the trigger pull is about 3lb maybe a little less, coming from glock and having felt how light the TSO trigger is,  imagine the trigger with the work done by czc should be good to go

i believe it also has the CGW hammer but I’ll check, he is friends with the owner of CGW as well lol, he knows everybody, it’s kinda crazy

the parts you mentioned seem to be suggested upgrades yea? Are those also the parts I’d want to keep on hand as spares if something breaks? If not what spares would I want just spares of, hammer spring, TRS, and Sear Spring?

The older TS is going to show a lot of wear.  If you can replace parts yourself, that is the way to go.  If you cannot, call CGW and CZC to find out how long you will have to wait to get it upgraded.

I shot my TS for a season and a half and noticed accuracy had fallen off.  I sent it down to CGW to replace all the worn parts.  Before I did I did a grip reduction.  I had CGW Cerakote the frame while it was down there.  He replaced the innards, the trigger, the transfer cage and installed a 10X bushing.  He did a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall at the moment.  He sent back all the parts he had replaced.  I was astonished at the amount of wear on some of the parts.

So $700 later I had a gun that shot like new and had all race parts.  I also had the slide lightened by another smith and added a thumb rest.  The gun runs like a top and is every bit as good as a semi-custom 2011.

You may want to wait on this potential purchase until you are certain you can buy mags.  Right now they are backordered.  You will absolutely need three.  Four is better.  So $50 for each mag plus $38 for each CZC extended base pad.  Stock spring and followers work, but you should replace them if you buy the older unit.  CZC springs will let you get 21 in, but they are weaker than factory and wear out quickly.

I don't recommend the TSO.  Same as a TS except tarted up.  You still have to replace base pads, and the internals are still soft.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a TS.  I love mine, even though I don't shoot it any more.  I build my own 1911s and 2011s with first rate parts.  After two full seasons at 7000 rounds per, there is zero wear.  The bushing on my TS was shot out after 4500.  5 thou difference between the ID and OD.  Sad.  If you are thinking of a TSO, buy a good used 2011 in 40 for the same price or less.  You see them often.

35 minutes ago, zzt said:

The older TS is going to show a lot of wear.  If you can replace parts yourself, that is the way to go.  If you cannot, call CGW and CZC to find out how long you will have to wait to get it upgraded.

I shot my TS for a season and a half and noticed accuracy had fallen off.  I sent it down to CGW to replace all the worn parts.  Before I did I did a grip reduction.  I had CGW Cerakote the frame while it was down there.  He replaced the innards, the trigger, the transfer cage and installed a 10X bushing.  He did a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall at the moment.  He sent back all the parts he had replaced.  I was astonished at the amount of wear on some of the parts.

So $700 later I had a gun that shot like new and had all race parts.  I also had the slide lightened by another smith and added a thumb rest.  The gun runs like a top and is every bit as good as a semi-custom 2011.

You may want to wait on this potential purchase until you are certain you can buy mags.  Right now they are backordered.  You will absolutely need three.  Four is better.  So $50 for each mag plus $38 for each CZC extended base pad.  Stock spring and followers work, but you should replace them if you buy the older unit.  CZC springs will let you get 21 in, but they are weaker than factory and wear out quickly.

I don't recommend the TSO.  Same as a TS except tarted up.  You still have to replace base pads, and the internals are still soft.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a TS.  I love mine, even though I don't shoot it any more.  I build my own 1911s and 2011s with first rate parts.  After two full seasons at 7000 rounds per, there is zero wear.  The bushing on my TS was shot out after 4500.  5 thou difference between the ID and OD.  Sad.  If you are thinking of a TSO, buy a good used 2011 in 40 for the same price or less.  You see them often.

I just figured this TS would be the cheapest entry point to limited beside another Glock which don’t get me wrong I live glock, I shoot my G34 in  carry optics very well I just figured if I am gonna jump into limited I’d like something a bit nicer and geared specifically towards limited.

the 2011 game just seems even more complicated then the CZ, the mags being back ordered is a problem I wasn’t aware of but will certainly make for something else to consider

the 2011s just seems so expensive if the guy above me is right and these TS would run me 800-950 I don’t think I have seen even used 2011s for that but honestly when it comes to 2011s I don’t really no where to start except the big names like atlas that I just can’t justify

i have seen the more used TS and the slide doesn’t show much wear, the front of the frame shows carbon and finish wear but the slide looks pretty good still.

if my money would be better spent on a 2011 what should I be looking for on the used market

one thing that makes me shy away from the 2011 is knowing which mags work best in which guns and also what followers, it just seems like the 2011 guys are cleaning their mags half way through a match seems kind of like a pain. I don’t have much frame of reference though as I always figured CZ was what I could actually afford. I also don’t reload so if he relying on factory ammo

in my g34 I use syntech, so if I get into limited .40 I’d be looking for some decent factory competiton loads. My buddy who is selling the TS is a reloader but has said that factory ammo runs just fine. He is gonna give me a box of 50 factory ammo when he lends it to me

1 hour ago, Bunnies4r5 said:

TS would run me 800-950

I'd be very surprised if your friend sold you the newer TS for $950.  BTW, slide to frame fit is not what wears.  It is the internals on a TS/TSO.  As pointed out in another thread, there have been 40sw 2011s listed recently in Classified for $1500 to $1750.    Having shot both extensively, I'd rather have a good, used 2011 over a new TSO.    There IS a reason CZ gives you three spare slide stops, etc. with a new gun.

2011 mags are a piece of cake.  Lots of combinations work.  You see USPSA shooters cleaning their mags at a match because they dropped them in dust, or mud.  If I drop a mag on anything other than grass or stone, It gets disassembled and cleaned before it get reloaded.  It's just good practice. 

I've got probably 30k rounds through my TS, and it's still a tack driver.  I've never replaced any internals, except swapping in a long-reach trigger.  The factory hammer, sear, all that stuff is still good to go. Same sub-2lb trigger it's always had.  I'm using the same magazines and CZC pads from when I first bought it too.  I thought about a 10x bushing, but it's not really needed.  In my experience, wear just isn't an issue.

The gun doesn't hold me back at all, and I typically run with the M class Limited shooters.  

Just shoot it, and if you end up not liking it, you will sell it here easily for what you paid for it.  

4 hours ago, zzt said:

I'd be very surprised if your friend sold you the newer TS for $950.  BTW, slide to frame fit is not what wears.  It is the internals on a TS/TSO.  As pointed out in another thread, there have been 40sw 2011s listed recently in Classified for $1500 to $1750.    Having shot both extensively, I'd rather have a good, used 2011 over a new TSO.    There IS a reason CZ gives you three spare slide stops, etc. with a new gun.

2011 mags are a piece of cake.  Lots of combinations work.  You see USPSA shooters cleaning their mags at a match because they dropped them in dust, or mud.  If I drop a mag on anything other than grass or stone, It gets disassembled and cleaned before it get reloaded.  It's just good practice. 

it isn’t the new one it’s the OG tac sport with the silver frame

what brand 2011s would be in the range that would be worthwhile?

11 hours ago, Bunnies4r5 said:

what brand 2011s would be in the range that would be worthwhile?

I would worry more about quality than brand.  That being said, stay away from newer STIs.  They are junk.  An old Edge with a serial number in the CMxxxx range should be okay.

18 hours ago, Bunnies4r5 said:

it isn’t the new one it’s the OG tac sport with the silver frame

i had one of those. never had a single malfunction with it in a season of shooting (5-10k rounds?). I switched to a 2011 because I was also shooting alot of singlestack, and it was an easier adjustment.  I sold my tacsport with magazines for around $900 (this was probably 5 years ago, and I only paid $1100 for the gun brand new). If you can get the barely used one for $900 or less, it would be worth considering. You'll be in it a LOT less than a 2011. You may still end up with a 2011, but you'll learn alot in the process, and maybe by then you can justify a custom or semi-custom build.