Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First "Real" Match

DewarsH2O

I have been shooting some low / more casual steel challenge matches for a couple years at two different gun clubs.  Been working hard to up my game, and this season I am shooting in a legit steel challenge league.  

Get through all the briefings, join my squad at our first station, and walk to the back of the area (very far back) and take my gun out of the sleeve to put it into my holster.  Oh boy, that is obviously a serious mistake.  Guy in my squad immediately rolls up on me and explains actually should be DQ'd (correct).  I am like great, I drove an hour, my first real match, and I get my butt booted for being stupid before I fire a round.  Well thankfully after a well deserved lecture we al moved on and I shot the match.  

Bottomline I learned a valuable lesson and it only cost me a little frustration with myself.

Edited by DewarsH2O
Clarification.

We don’t actually know that everyone’s guns are clear. Loaded guns have been found more than once.  Your local matches don’t sound like any I’d be attending. Safety is paramount 

yeah it's a little confusing as different games and even different clubs have different rules.  if i'm hitting a new club i'll ask at registration where i can bag and unbag just to be 'safe.'

Usually in the shooters meeting they let you know where the safe tables are.  Also, with Steel Challenge or other steel leagues, there is really no reason to keep the gun in the holster all day.  I get that some people prefer it, but nearly ever SC match there is a table/barrel/etc. at the shooters box and you can remove the gun from the bag there under the direction of the RO.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, DewarsH2O said:

I have been shooting some low / more casual steel challenge matches for a couple years at two different gun clubs.  Been working hard to up my game, and this season I am shooting in a legit steel challenge league.  

How do they handle it at your local match?  

Next "official" match you attend I would suggest going to the new shooter briefing. Before that check out intro video to shooting steel challenge, etc.