Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last year's SW ICORE Regional in Mesa AZ had 105 entries, this year it's 50. What's going on? What's changed?

Price of gas/travel, Primers, etc... might be the issue.  Especiallly on the west coast.

I've heard from several local guys that won't pay the current price for primers and once they're out, they're gone.

Just pray these bad times will create, or bring forth, the hard men needed to claw back out to the good times.

I'm pretty lucky, I had a good stash of primers to start with, then traded a guy some shotgun ammo for another 5,000.

Then found some at Bass Pro in Mesa AZ for 90 bucks a thousand. They're never going to be $29 again.

Well, maybe if gas goes back to $3 a gallon :)

Edited by ysrracer

Hard to grow a sport that requires a specific primer that I haven’t seen on a retail shelf for two years. Also no 929s or 627s available here for long while. Glocks, dots, and 9mm can be had any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Hard to grow a sport that requires a specific primer that I haven’t seen on a retail shelf for two years. Also no 929s or 627s available here for long while. Glocks, dots, and 9mm can be had any day of the week.

Good points, interesting.

58 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

How are USPSA and IDPA doing? Anybody shoot them?

1 minute ago, ysrracer said:

How are USPSA and IDPA doing? Anybody shoot them?

Our monthly USPSA match has been full throughout the pandemic. An adjacent club started a match and did not effect our numbers.

In my opinion...most shooters these days would like to be involved in a shooting sport that includes a wide range of divisions that welcomes many types of pistols and pistol actions.  Since IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge all have divisions for revolvers, not sure what would drive new shooters to get involved with ICORE?  I would also think that maybe existing ICORE shooters might migrate to IDPA, USPSA, or Steel Challenge so the shooters can choose what type of pistol they want to shoot and not be limited to only revolvers.

I have never shot ICORE, but I have shot IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge.  Just a few thoughts to consider.

Edited by ShredderTactical
Info added.

Went into the USPSA website and pulled some figures I found on membership numbers.

2015 - 24,843 members (includes both USPSA and Steel Challenge)
2020 - 34,938 members (includes both USPSA and Steel Challenge)

So, above data shows a 41% increase in membership for the 5 year period for USPSA.  Data for 2020 is the latest year I could find since figures are released each year, for the previous year, and figures for 2021 have not yet been released.  Not sure how that compares with ICORE?

I think those John Wick movies help USPSA more than ICORE. Every time there's a new one, I see new kids at the range.

What's a good revolver movie? The Sunshine Boys ? Grumpy Old Men ?

:)

Walking Dead increased the desire for Pythons?

In this area, USPSA is pretty steady (psychotic winter/srping cancelled several matches), ICORE is growing, IDPA is steady, Multi-Gun is down a little and Steel Challenge is down quite a bit.  But gas is $3.79 right now and primers are available (even Fed's) if one is willing to pay the toll.  CCI's newer primers are closer to Fed's than anything else I've seen.

I'm hoping things settle down to $60 per thousand primers, I am an eternal optimist though.

Strangely enough, I've been able acquire several thousand Federal primers locally, as well as Winchester and CCI. 

When I got my 929 recently, I had my smith check it and work on the trigger a bit to smooth it out.  The pull is nice and smooth, and it sets off any factory ammo I've fed it, as well as any reloads with any primers.  Well, it won't ignite CCI  small rifle primers though.  Don't know the trigger pull or hammer fall weight yet.

I shoot revolver in USPSA & IDPA but really enjoy it more with ICORE.  Something about the absence of bottom feeders, lol.