Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Changing

John K

HI,

I am new to this forum but post in the S&W, 1911, and Glocktalk forums. I have been shooting IDPA for a little less than a year and have to say I like it a whole bunch. My question is about changing the mags efficiently.

I shoot a Glock 17, no bells or whistles.

It is my thought that the strong hand runs the trigger, (and thumb safety on a 1911) and that the weak hand runs the mag release and slide release. By doing it this way I believe that the strong hand grip stays the same throughout the mag change.

Less fumble to get back on target. I should say that this should be the same for tactical reloads as well as slide lock reloads.

My problem is that I generally see shooters using the strong hand to hit the mag release, thus changing the grip.

I know that nothing in shooting, with the exception of safety, is one-size-fits-all. That being said, is my thought without competitive merit?

Thanks,

John :D

Edited by John K

John,

Welcome to the forum!

What you propose would work but it would be slow for the slide lock reload. The SL is not a whole lot different from the USPSA speed reload. In either case you want to get your weak hand on the new mag as fast as possible. Take a look at the following video:

Travis Tomasi Reload Video

In the slow mo part you will see that his weak hand almost has the new mag when the old one starts to fall. Very efficient.

In the case of the Tac reload, I would think that releasing and then trying to catch the used mag with the same hand is just begging to drop it and get a PE. In TR case you will have plenty of time to fix any strong had grip issues while you fumble the used mag into your non-gamer <_< vest pocket and pull the new one from a pouch.

The best bet is to try everything and see what works for you.

Have fun,

Chuck

If you do a search you will find discussions of this before.

I have to cant the gun quite a bit to reach the release button. However, I figure I am doing 2 things at once. Doing things in parrallel(sp?) is always faster for the overall process.

The only thing I really worry about with the cant the gun thing is breaking the 180. This too is over come with practice. I find that my grip comes back together pretty good. Although this is probably an area which I can improve on.

I posted just a while ago about getting an ambi-release which might allow me to release the mag without shifting my grip. You might look into those if they are available for Glocks (Sorry I am a 1911 kind of guy).

Bottom line, practice and see what works for you,

Ira

I just shot an IDPA classifier last Saturday with my Taurus PT-99 and the RO noticed how much the gun had to shift in my hand to hit the mag release with my right/strong hand thumb (if my thumb could be just an inch longer). He suggested that I turn the mag button around to the other side and hit it with my index finger. That way I'd be maintaining my grip and still be able to catch the mag with my left hand in order to do a reload with retention.

In one TDSA class I took, the instructor taught me to hit the mag release on my 1911 w/ my weak hand, let the mag drop to the ground all the while my weak hand is going for the fresh mag.

Of course, that training and being able to do IPSC style reloads in IPSC matches is contradictory to what I have been doing from the start: letting the gun twist up in my hand to do the dreaded IDPA RWR.

Oh so many different ways to do things...

Chills

_____

Keep the booger hook off the bang switch!

My hands are not very big and while being able to maintain your grip throughout the reload is an advantage, it is not a necessity.

There is nothing wrong with flipping the gun in your strong hand to hit the mag release. Both myself and Max Michel use this technique.

I would really advise against hitting the mag release with your weak hand. It will slow the entire motion down, make it choppier, and also requires more fine motor control.

What I would recommend is just getting used to kicking the gun to the side in your hand, hitting the mag release, and flipping it back. When practiced, this method is no slower than not needing to shift your grip.

• 4 weeks later...

Flipping the gun in your strong hand to hit the mag release is not evil. And, it also helps develop the ability to reacquire/adjust your grip "on the move". Not a bad thing when you make a less-than-perfect draw and need to tweak your grip after the start signal.

But to each his own....

Flipping the gun in your strong hand to hit the mag release is not evil. And, it also helps develop the ability to reacquire/adjust your grip "on the move". Not a bad thing when you make a less-than-perfect draw and need to tweak your grip after the start signal.

+1

I started out using my weak hand to push the mag release button, and it became habit. NOW as I find myself improving, it is very aparent that using this method is much slower.

I find myself struggling to fix it now, so My recommendation is to follow the advice above, it is wise!!!

Carl

Edited by Carl

I bet Travis had to practice that more than a couple times, eh' Chuck? I saw that vid before and started clowning around with the XD. I don't mind telling you that I am better at it than I was before, even after an hour. Run through the motions, even if your not faster in the end, at least your more familiar.

I agree with most that shifting is not a bad thing. Hell, just look at Jerry Miculek who tosses his whole revolver to the other hand and still reloads faster than most Auto-shooters.

Like Jake says, it's probably best to practice shifting your grip a lot.

The bottom line is that there are some things than need to be done in order to make a mag change. The old mag has to get out by pushing the button, the next mag has to be grabbed and inserted and the gun has to get back on the target. Ideally, you want the smallest amount of time between each action.

The way you reload now, you have more time between pushing the old mag out and grabbing the fresh mag than you want. If you do both at the same time, you win lots of time.

Also, something that should be taken into consideration. Pushing the mag button with the hand that also grabs the mag is not very consistent. What if you miss the magbutton and your hand goes for the new magazine? You'll have to bring your hand back to the gun.

One more advantage to shifting the gun to reach the mag button with the right hand is that it forces you to take your finger out of the trigger guard. I've seen several people DQ on reloads by not doing this. Logically it is slower, but there is a lot of other movement involved that give plenty of time to get the gun shifted back. I shoot IPSC and have played around with extended mag buttons. I just don't think they are worth the risk of being punched accidentally.