Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest possible

TRG65

I was curious if anyone has experimented with how light a spring for various models of glocks can be and still strip a round from the mag and lock up the barrel.

I discontinued my test because, in the process testing the lighter spring less perceived recoil, I found that I shoot much better with a heavier spring.  The heavier the spring the more I can let the gun control itself.  If I used the lighter springs I would have to become more involved.  I clipped a 13# until it was below 11 and it would still work just fine.

Lightening the recoil spring on a Glock too much can cause problems-- it helps hold the slide closed against the trigger bar pushing the striker back.  Lighten up too much and you can have malfunctions or an out-of-battery event you really don't want.

I agree with shred, in a Glock the recoil spring has to do some what of a balancing act with the striker spring.  To go really light on the recoil spring it helps to have a reduced power striker spring as well.

I have run a G34 with a clipped/tuned ISMI 13lb spring, but I had to keep the gun very clean to keep it reliable.   After a few hundred rounds every once and a while it wouldn't go into battery by just a hair and this would cause a light primer hit.  Since I don't like to clean guns I went back to a heavier spring.  For 125PF 9mm a 15lb or stock 17lb spring seem the most reliable, but I know several guys that just love the tracking with a clipped 13lb spring in G34's.

On an interesting note, recently a buddy started shooting light .45 loads (he says 170PF but I wonder) in his 21 and had to go to a Wolff 12lb recoil spring with 2-3 coils clipped  on a Wolff steel guiderod to get the gun to run and eject brass more than a foot out.  This is the lightest I have seen run on a G21.   I know other guys who have no problems with the stock spring.  Go figure.

I don't have much experience with competition Glock .40's, but in an email Matt K. recommended a clipped/tuned 15lb spring in the G35 for USPSA Limited and he likes light springs.

I use stock (non-clipped) ISMI 13 pound springs in both my G34 production gun and my G35 limited gun.  I like the feel and certainly like the convenience of just throwing another spring in when necessary.  I've never played around with clipping springs in either application but may do so.  Seems interesting there seems to be two distinctly different schools of thought regarding light versus heavy springs in Glocks.  Does the same disparity exist in SV/STI platforms?

I agree with Flex.  Significant amounts of additional sight lift, etc. could be a problem, but a minor addition in more lift or recoil isn't an issue as long as it's consistent.  You just get used to it and adapt as needed.  That probably even isn't a big deal if one is visually patient.  Personally, my biggest obstacle is maintaining a continued state of visual patience during a course of fire.

Chris,

You asked about the STI-SV shooters...

I know some of the Para shooters (Matt Trout for one) out of PA are shooting with Limited guns with lightened slides and heavier recoils springs.  I think Matt said he was running with a 17# recoil spring.  

I really think it is all one big balancing act.  When I tried to go with a tungsten rod last summer, my timing went out the window.  With just the tungsten rod (standard spring weight), my muzzle dipped when the slide closed.  I would have had to add some weight to the back of the gun to balance out the tungsten rod..and likely would have had to go with a lighter spring.

Vincent,  I saw the same problems with the gun requiring more attention with cleaning solvent and grease when I was running the clipped 13#.  

All

If I had my choice now I think I would shoot a stock 17# spring (better control, the gun snaps back to where it should be).....but my loads won't cycle the gun when shooting from single hand retention.  Since this is a "requirement" for IDPA, I'm clipping coils from a stock glock spring.  I have one -8 coils that works but need to clip one test and repeat to get the max poundage spring that will work for me.  I'm not interested in buying a 15 lb ISMI just to have another experience where I realize I have to dremel out my spring channel to get the it to work correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

I use stock springs in most of my Glocks. My G21 can handle a 200-gr bullet with a power factor of only 144 with the stock spring. I did have to go to a 13# spring on my G24C and light 180-gr loads in order to get better ejection.

I run a 13lb ISMI spring with the tungsten rod for in my G34. When I first got the gun(Age 11) it wouldn't cycle one handed all that great, so I had to order a light spring quick. I like the way the gun flows with the light spring and guide rod, with the stock spring I could see the slide stop in the backward stroke, it would also slam forward causing the gun to dip. The slide cycles much faster with the fighter spring. I've been running it for about 2 years and 8-10 thousand rounds and have had no problems with wear or anything else.