Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.93 LPVO mount

pcs352

Recent match my mount sheared and broke holding the razor 1-6. Needing a new mount and wondering if anyone had experience with the taller mounts that seem to be the range on myspace and whatnot. Advice, thoughts???  Thanks guys. 

10 hours ago, pcs352 said:

Recent match my mount sheared and broke holding the razor 1-6. Needing a new mount and wondering if anyone had experience with the taller mounts that seem to be the range on myspace and whatnot. Advice, thoughts???

Curious what mount you broke?

Luckily right before I purchased my ScalarWorks Leap 1.57" mount I was able to shoot from the same mount at the 1.93 height.  I was glad I did, because it was not for me.  

A couple of things to think about when going with that tall of mount.   I found when shooting prone it caused me to crane my neck in a very uncomfortable manner to obtain the correct eye relief.  So much so it made shooting prone a lot more difficult.  I have a 12.5" AR that I built specifically for 200 yd. and in AR/2Gun/3Gun type competitions, that has an EoTech with a 3 x magnifier on a Unity Tactical Fast riser system.  I love the system, but I have found it does affect your ability to acquire targets through some of the props because the optic is too high.  Small boxes on V-Tack boards, shooting prone using a bipod under a wire reel, etc.

Some things to keep in mind.  

I was trying not to disclose the mount manufacturer as they immediately replaced it covering all costs. However it was the aero lightweight mount and probably not the best mount for the heavy razor and being dropped into barrels and whatnot. Been looking at the Warne mounts as they seem to support the sport here in the northwest. Thank you for the advice!

4 minutes ago, pcs352 said:

However it was the aero lightweight mount and probably not the best mount for the heavy razor and being dropped into barrels and whatnot

Yup.  The Aero are nice, especially in the weight department, but not for 3 Gun.  That is what I was running and have since switched to the LEAP from ScalarWorks before I broke that Aero one.  It is pricy buy you get a beefy mount that is not heavy.  And mounting the optic could not be easier.  

Good luck with your search.

Edited by Boomstick303

51 minutes ago, pcs352 said:

I was trying not to disclose the mount manufacturer as they immediately replaced it covering all costs. However it was the aero lightweight mount and probably not the best mount for the heavy razor and being dropped into barrels and whatnot. Been looking at the Warne mounts as they seem to support the sport here in the northwest. Thank you for the advice!

I've had very good luck with the Warne mounts, both the Ramp and the Skeleton versions with Vortex scopes and various other scopes.  One rifle was dropped onto concrete directly onto the Vortex JM scope cap from slightly above waist height.  Credit to both Vortex and the Ramp mount, the zero never changed, although my brother-in-law almost needed to change his undies and the expression on his face as the rifle slid out of the soft case he was holding was priceless!  The scope cap was pretty dinged up, I sent Vortex an email thanking them for building a rugged scope, they sent me back a new cap and a box of goodies, torque wrenches, etc...  Trust me, you never want to hear that aluminum pipe dropped on concrete sound!

The other Warne mounts have held up well to several years of dump barrels, etc...

Nolan

On 4/5/2022 at 10:26 AM, Boomstick303 said:

I found when shooting prone it caused me to crane my neck in a very uncomfortable manner to obtain the correct eye relief.  So much so it made shooting prone a lot more difficult. 

A year or two ago I slapped some .5" risers on top of my rifle and set my 1.5" MI mount (with a Steiner 1-4X on it) over them to see if I liked the taller 1.93" mounts that were starting to come out. 

I found the same problems you did.

I think somewhere in the 1.75" range the right answer might be.

On 4/5/2022 at 10:31 AM, Nolan said:

they sent me back a new cap and a box of goodies, torque wrenches

Never seen any company remotely close to Vortex's customer service.  They have my business when it comes to LPVOs.  Not to mention I have yet to use any other scope that has the eye relief their scopes have.