Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rumors About Beretta To Stop Making The 92/96 Line

Chills1994

IF they stopped, what is the military going to do. But then again, they probably have so many, it might not matter.

If American Handgunner is to be believed, the M9 is to be replaced with a .45 ACP "commercially available" handgun. The notice didn't clarify what configuration or action type. The bid is for "up to 645,000" units on what is being called the "Joint Combat Pistol System".

Pretty cool... Which 45's are DA?

3.4.1. Action: The JCP shall function in double action/single action (DA/SA) or double-action only (DAO) including Striker-Fired Action (SFA) (T). The JCP should have a modular action mechanism that allows reconfiguration at the unit level without modification to the weapon’s major assemblies (O).

http://www.fbodaily.com/archive/2005/09-Se...BO-00886351.htm

Other:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys.../ground/jcp.htm

Edited by BerKim

Sounds like they are headed to the gun that Gaston Glock builds. At over 600K units he can mark them up $50 over his cost and still rake in a pile of dough...and be way under the competition.

If I recall correctly Beretta was compelled to build a plant in the US to produce the M9 when they got the contract (or as part of the bid process...I forget which). Given the change in the way things are done now I wonder if that rule is even still in effect?

No rumor, much truth...

All .40 caliber model 96's are discontinued

All Vertec models discontinued

All Elite models discontinued

All combination Vertec/Elite models discontinued

Regular blue 92's will contiune in the line.

I'm not at the office and I don't recall about stainless guns, I will have to update this post later.

New model 90-Two (yes, spelled out) is on for 2006 as are a few other 92ish models.

Beretta has also discontiuned all 8000 series guns last year and the 9000 series appears to have been canned for the fourth or fifth and final time.

New PX4 pistols appear to be the next generation from Beretta.

Edited by Middle Man

Wow, almost sounds like Beretta is either revamping their ENTIRE line of handguns or cutting back their business a lot. Hope this is not a financial decision. I'll have to look into the PX4, I havent heard anything about it.

I hadnt heard anything about the military going to Glocks though, where'd that come from. Not that I disagree.

Middleman wrote: "All Elite models discontinued

All combination Vertec/Elite models discontinued"

Well that is unfortunate.

I am not a Beretta shooter & do not own one. However, those models seemed to be targeted towards our sports: USPSA & IDPA so I think it is a loss that they are being canned. If I were to buy a Beretta, it would be the Elite II.

To follow up my last post (now that I'm in the office)

All 92/96 series in stainless are discontinued

New 92/96 series models are

-M9A1 blue suggested retail of $850

-90-Two Type F 9mm blue suggested retail of $798

-90-Two Type F 40 S&W blue suggested retail of $798

As stated regular 92FS blue continues...