Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last Minute Equipment Mods

grassy knoll

shot a level 3 match last weekend and thought I would have done better than I did, so after thinking about a quick fix, I slapped a piece of fibre optic rod onto the top of my front sight with a bit of glue thinking that well this is going to be great I will be able to focus front sight, front sight...

shot a level 2 match today and after the 3rd stage not having any idea where my rounds are going I realize that this fibre rod is killing me so off it goes, next 4 stages back to normal no more mikes,

I didn't think the whole thing through, I thought I could hold the sights with the glowing dot above where I hold the front sight in my regular sight picture but my sight picture kept going back to having the top of the sight, in this case the fibre rod at the the top of the notch making me shoot low

big lesson learned this time

Edited by grassy knoll

match results in the order I shot them

the last 4 stages were shot after the sight was corrected

Place Pts Time HF Stage Points Stage %

Stage 4

21 23 14.05 1.6370 20.7997 26.00

Stage 3

17 27 10.30 2.6214 27.2165 45.36

Stage 1

23 10 7.26 1.3774 9.4824 23.71

Stage 2

7 69 11.93 5.7837 57.2674 71.58

Stage 5

7 64 14.05 4.5552 65.4822 81.85

Stage 6

2 62 12.04 5.1495 49.7785 71.11

Stage 7

3 107 19.72 5.4260 96.2595 80.22

shot a level 3 match last weekend and thought I would have done better than I did, so after thinking about a quick fix, I slapped a piece of fibre optic rod onto the top of my front sight with a bit of glue thinking that well this is going to be great I will be able to focus front sight, front sight...

:lol::lol::lol:

Just reading that cracked me up - cause I've been there soooo many times.

be

• 3 months later...

Thats one of those things you have to learn for yourself. I've had two shooters I look up to tell me, "Don't change anything before a match".

I was shooting a match that I traveled 17hours to shoot. I increased the OAL of my cartridge .007 (because it didn't look right) and even upped the powder charge a tenth of a grain. I had enough faliures to eject that it cost me a gun or two.

Live and learn!

My first major I insisted on taking some one up custom modified magazines that I hadn't yet tested in the gun. My smith warned me, but I didn't listen.

Short version, the mags autodisassembled every other stage, or didn't seat, or didn't feed.

Without having heard from from me, the first words out of my smith's mouth when I returned were, "Didn't work so good, did they?".

Lesson learned, the hard way... :rolleyes:

Learned the hard way myself, mounted a new set of super-D-duper target sights on a Glock for a GSSF match and sighted in with the normal 12-15 rounds JUST prior to the match. Well, the windage adjustment came loose after the first string of fire in the match and I ended up with a 410 out of 500 or something as bad. I was PISSED, the sight company deserved about 10% of my anger, but I KNEW better than to do what I did.

Emailed the sight company, they were 120% supportive and devoted to make things right. Great company, I just got the 1 of 1000 that makes it out of the plant.......

Ameriglo was the sight company, they treated me absolutely like I owned th company and was their No 1 sponsored shooter. I would recommend them to anyone.

A bount 2 weeks before an area2 match years ago when sighting in I found @50 my gun with only 80K thru it :huh: would only hold 7 or 8 inches.

I thought about slaming a barrel in it, then said to myself thats a studid idea,

just hold the gun (that runs 100 %) & don't worry.

RESULT 50 yd standards -3 points

never never make a last minute change!

and if you do deny it later. :D

Last year I shot Area 4 with a gun and mags I received the day before, and a borrowed holster. I won't regale you with the tales of Mikes, No-Shoots, and even FTE's.

I learned my lesson this year. I'm planning on shooting Double Tap at the end of this month with my Open gun. It'll be my second major match, and second Open match. I'm just now getting set up to reload for it. So I guess this is a Match Screw-Up which I'm confessing in advance.

I have actually had the little guys sitting on my shoulder having just this very same conversation.

"C'mon this is a much better way to change mags"

"but I know that I shouldn't change anything while WAITING FOR THE BUZZER"

"Yeah, but this way would be so much better"

But I have never done it that way before"

Geez, how hard can it be, I have seen other guys do it, or something like it'

"Yeah, but they were way better than me"

C'mon, you're smarter than that, you can do it and it will make you so much faster!!!!!

the buzzer goes off and I give into the demon.

I did everything but shoot myself in the foot.

Talk about learning the hard way.

Edited by John K

Here's a good one for you all. On the flight down to Florida for the Open, I read Saul Kirsch's new book once more, cover to cover. One of the things he says about the day prior to the match is to check all the little things on your gun that could have possibly come loose. Hopefully nothing has, but it cant hurt to give each screw a "little tweak" right ??? B)

Well I waited until the MORNING of the match! At 5:00AM I tried to tighten the front sight screw on my G35 Dawson Fiber, and it broke!

No worries. I was prepared for the unthinkable, and I had a spare front sight & screw in my bag, but somehow the "broken" one wouldnt come off the slide. I look a little closer and realize the screw's hex shaped head had now become a small crescent, and the head of the screw was still holding on to the slide, so contrary to what usually happens, the head did not snap clean off.

Ok so I get out my handy-dandy "Glock Front-Sight Tool" and try to remove the screw. No dice. The lock-tight is stronger than my little fingers, and the screw head is no longer hex-shaped. OK so then I get out the old Leatherman tool. No luck there either. Finaly I decide to just shoot the gun until the damn thing falls off, which should happen in the first stage right? You know Frank and his 32 round stages. I was just worried that in the early morning Florida dew I would NEVER find that damn fiber. So there goes money down the drain for a stupid move on my part, right?

So we get to the range, and we shoot stage 7 first. Soccer. Other than the fog being so thick we couldnt reall see clear, nothing went wrong. The sight was still attached. So we go to the chrono. And then to the next stage. And the next. And the next. And by the end of the day I figure I could try and see if that screw will come out now, so I can relax and just shoot tomorow, but after 6 stages and about 150 rounds ... why bother? I shot the rest of the match, and I even shot a local match here at home last week and I STILL havent lost that front sight. What a wonderful thing Loc-Tite is. :)

I only wish I had trusted my equipment and not tried to fix what wasn't already broken!

I love this thread and a search would probably a dozen more just like it.

Does the saying "Been there, done that and have the t-shirt" ring a bell.

I have done this so many times that I am embarrassed to add the stupid things that I have done.

Heh -- just this past weekend --shot my 1911 for first time in months. Night before, carefully case-gauged 200 rounds of ammo, rejecting any that were even slightly "sticky." Checked my mags, hmm....Two of my four CMC 10-rounders didn't drop free easily. No bigggie, since I didn't see needing more than two reloads, and I put tape on the bumper pads to identify the problem magazines.

First stage was a classifier (it was one of those 4-classifier matches). 3 arrays, two mandatory reloads. To make extra sure I didn't grab one of the bad 10-rounders, when reloading, I decided to start with my 8-round stripper mag.

Bang-bang-bang-bang...next array, mash the magazine release, and son-of-a-bitch, the 8-round stripper mag doesn't drop free. Never thought to check *that* magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

I knew better.... but did it anyway....

Changed outmy 15 lb. recoil spring for a 13 lb. in my G24 just before Double Tap... I didn't think my cases were ejecting far enough.

So, I put in the 13 lb. and shoot a mag into the berm... yup, cases are ejecting much better, I'm happy!

Go to the match, shooting just fine. About half way done with day one, I get a failure to fire.... strange, trigger pulls, click, no bang, unfired round comes out but can't find it after the stage.

Oh, well, must have been a high primer.

Happens again next stage, and I notice that it happens just after a reload, like the first time... still too stupid to think "SPRING!!!", so I live with it one more time.

Get back to the hotel and take my gun apart to clean it up a bit for day II.... and notice that the recoil spring is a full inch shorter than the day before. Then it clicks. Back in goes the 15 lb. spring, no mrer problems.....

Dummass.....

Andy C.

Waited for a pair of new STI magazine to arrive, and it did, the morning of our local gun club match. Came with a standard follower, changed the follower and gave it a +1 Mag Base pad. Thinking its ready to go.... (Big Mistake) :blink:

RO: Are you ready??....... Standby.... BEEEP!!!

LET THE HIMULIATION BEGIN!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

All i can recall was a lot of *click* and a whole lot of Tap-Rack :ph34r:

Lost a lot of time clearing up jams, and pulling out the magazine where the ammo tumbled!! AAAaarrgghhh.... :angry: ended up being second on TYRO division. I promised myself never to use new and untested parts... and after reading this thread... never changing anything before a match! :lol:

NEVER EVER change anything on a working gun before a match.

Your recoil spring will go another 200 rds, I promise. :)

Your mag springs will be fine. :)

You're not going to benefit from gluing stuff to your gun. :)

SA

But ALWAYS carry a spare scope...or two... :wacko: