Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorting 9mm brass

fireman1776

On 3/23/2022 at 7:09 AM, Runnin2live said:

There is nothing worse IMHO then snapping the recapping pin if these aren’t found proactively 

Earlier I said Speer 357Sig had small flash holes and need RCBS small decapping pins. Well I just ran across my first Norma's and they are smaller, even the small pins get stuck in them. Only think I could think of is really cinch the decapping pin in and it least they don't get stuck in the brass. And they are not small enough to where you have to re-uniform the primer pocket.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe the undersize decapping pin from Redding (0.057") is an option? I use tem for decapping 6mmBR brass with tight flash holes.

Or just grind down a standard pin untill it works.

(I don't have experience with Norma 9mm brass so I don't know how tight the flash holes exactly.)

On 3/24/2022 at 2:42 AM, Farmer said:

A little tip, they have a groove on the stem and one is larger than the other. Go-no-go. Mine were real similar in size so I marked them with a green and red sharpie in the groove. Much faster to see. 

Got my swage check tool in, and it is such a time saver. Wish I got it sooner! Great tip with the green and red sharpie too.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:43 AM, 9x45 said:

IMT, FM, AmmoLoad and MaxxTech, all have stepped cases. Toss them unless you want the brass to separate in the chamber and leave you with a dead gun, especially PCC's.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:34 AM, Amra86 said:

I seperate out CBC and SB cases. They seem to have tighter primer pockets and thicker case walls. 

What they said above, and I'll add STV brass to those I toss.  

I sort brass as well, even on a 1050. Mainly looking for the steeped cases and brands that I consistently have problems with, such as cbc. If you have a stepped case break in the chamber you’ll have a difficult time removing it and possibly spend as much time/cost as you have in sorting through the brass. If you damage the chamber removing it, it might mean a new barrel. Just a risk vs reward analysis if you want to sort, I know a lot of people who don’t sort as well.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:46 PM, Farmer said:

To your last statement, with the price and rarity of components, plus the occasional jam-ups while loading it is indeed worth the extra time. 
Just curious, have you tried to swage the S&B brass just to see if it helped?  I’m wondering if it’s like some I had where the pockets are tapered and it doesn’t help. You have to uniform them to cut out the taper. A real pita. 

I have tried, and it didn't help.