Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival - Freedomsmith Trigger

bigtimelarry

9 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

What is the reason for installing a split ring ?   is it to make the trigger lighter or is it for a better fitment than running the stock alone. I've got 17k - 18k  rounds on my 3 rivals and i haven't had any issues. I remember Nils telling me he doesn't mess with the stock trigger spring because of an outside chance of having reset issues... 

That's exactly it. The FS trigger, due to its geometry, causes the stock spring to stretch too much. It adds much more tension causing additional weight to the pull. I agree that adding the right split ring here definitely helps. The wrong one would cause a bunch of issues (dead trigger, reset, etc.) The Sprinco spring, however, seems to be just fine with the FS trigger. I ordered my Sprinco TSK (trigger spring kit) from Ben Steoger Pro Shop, FYI. Just to be clear, the spring is not completely at rest. It's somewhat engaged, but negligible in terms of additional tension and all that.

Edited by Seanzky

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Seanzky said:

That's exactly it. The FS trigger, due to its geometry, causes the stock spring to stretch too much. It adds much more tension causing additional weight to the pull. I agree that adding the right split ring here definitely helps. The wrong one would cause a bunch of issues (dead trigger, reset, etc.) The Sprinco spring, however, seems to be just fine with the FS trigger. I ordered my Sprinco TSK (trigger spring kit) from Ben Steoger Pro Shop, FYI. Just to be clear, the spring is not completely at rest. It's somewhat engaged, but negligible in terms of additional tension and all that.

Got it.. Ok, i'll try it out.

question for you guys on this thread....is it possible that the FS triggers remove so much pre-travel that it disables the firing pin block?

Looking at how the gun functions, the firing pin block is depressed pretty early in the stroke by the first hump in the trigger bar. 

The FS triggers reduce most of the pre-travel. i think its likely that the firing pin block is depressed when the trigger is at rest because of how much of the stroke it reduces

just curious if anyone had the same thoughts or knew

for instance, on a walther, overwatch precision offers a reduced pretravel trigger. the trigger bar is clearly modified in this kit when you compare it to stock. the modification is to the first hump in the trigger bar so that it hits the firing pin block "later" in the stroke. this accounts for the reduced pre-travel, ensuring the safeties are still functional

The FS doesn't come wirh a modified bar

Edited by dsmarty386

That's an easy one. But I only know that with my TP9SFx the firing pin block is still working with an FS trigger. I look into the magazine channel with a flashlight and watch the plunger being moved by the trigger bar as I cycle the FS trigger. Someone with a Rival X can do the same thing as explicit evidence that the plunger's still active and not being eliminated by the FS trigger geometry.

The FP plunger in my Rival S with a Freedomsmith trigger functions as it should. The liability of selling a trigger that disables a safety function is not something a manufacturer would accept. I have Freedomsmith triggers in 2 SFX's and they also function correctly.