Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival - Freedomsmith Trigger

bigtimelarry

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Zombie Pro in my Rival.  Reduced the takeup and the same reset as the stock trigger.  Nice and crisp break over the slightly mush break on the Rival stock trigger.  I left the stock trigger return spring in for now.  I have a ZP in my SFX too and it has a lot more rounds on it than the Rival so it feels just a bit better.  

Edited by WxGuy

9 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

I have the Zombie Pro in my Rival.  Reduced the takeup and the same reset as the stock trigger.  Nice and crisp break over the slightly mush break on the Rival stock trigger.  I left the stock trigger return spring in for now.  I have a ZP in my SFX too and it has a lot more rounds on it than the Rival so it feels just a bit better.  

Did you have to file the back trigger safety a little or any filing anywhere ? 

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, WxGuy said:

You're saying that the FS trigger affects the break?

I just picked up my rival today. The trigger break is nice but I’m not liking all that pre travel. Was looking into the freedom smith triggers like everyone else has mentioned. Specifically at the pro or racer trigger. Will that reduce a good amount of the pre travel or even lighten the trigger alone? I’m coming from shooting glocks, sig 320, and 2011s. Canik is new to me 

I squadded with a guy at the Colorado State match this past weekend that was running a new Rival.  He loved the trigger and let me try it at the safe table. It was ok but had lots of oretravel and reset, was heavier and the wide face is a liability.  Compared to the freedomsmith trigger and springs swap, the stock Rival trigger is not in the same league.  The guy shot so well with the stock trigger, I'm sure he'll be ecstatic about the Freedomsmith once he switches.

• 1 month later...

The FS trigger took a lot of the take-up out of my Rival's trigger. It's still more than any of my 1911 triggers, but it is nice.

My trigger was breaking at 3.0 # with the stock trigger (but not stock springs). After I swapped to the FS trigger, it added about 5 ounces (IIRC) to the break, according to my Wheeler digital trigger gauge (5 pull average checking before and after).

I don't think the break is really heavier. I think it's just the trigger shoes and where the gauge sits against the trigger face of the shoe. I think it's just a little closer to the pivot point on the FS trigger, so it has a tiny bit less leverage, thus reading a little higher. In practice, I think the weight of the break is the same with the stock trigger and the FS.

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

Which trigger shoe are most guys shooting the matches going for and why? 

I use the sport now. I have it  in 3 guns.  I had a pro before but prefer the sport.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, love2fishnshoot said:

I just picked up my rival today. The trigger break is nice but I’m not liking all that pre travel. Was looking into the freedom smith triggers like everyone else has mentioned. Specifically at the pro or racer trigger. Will that reduce a good amount of the pre travel or even lighten the trigger alone? I’m coming from shooting glocks, sig 320, and 2011s. Canik is new to me 

The FS trigger doesn't reduce pull weight by much if at  all the the pre travel is significantly reduced. its well worth 80 bucks

On 3/11/2022 at 12:06 AM, bigtimelarry said:

Has anybody put a Freedomsmith Trigger in their Rival ?   Was wondering if it had the same short pretravel and break as a TP9SFX with the Freedomsmith. 

Nice and short in the rivals Larry.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:13 AM, bigtimelarry said:

Did you have to file the back trigger safety a little or any filing anywhere ? 

Ive installed 5 and or the 5, 2 needed to be filed and 3 dropped in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 6:47 PM, SufferInSilence said:

Ok so I was really impressed with the stock trigger.  No real reason to swap them out but I did anyway and wow! That FreedomSmith trigger is legit! 

I went for the Sport model.  Very flat trigger 1911-ish. 

What's the biggest difference you notice from the stock trigger?

I just installed a Pro on my RIval. At first the FS trigger alone. It actually made the trigger pull heavier, though the characteristics of the pull (take up, crispness) were improved, subjectively. Next I installed the Sprinco trigger return spring. I didn’t put the scale to it, but my tip of finger impression is the trigger pull lightened a little bit. Finally I went ahead and installed the Sprinco striker spring, and firing pin safety plunger spring. This put the trigger weight in the same range as the stock, but it’s a crisper trigger and the short take up is really nice. At this point it’s hard to say if I’ll stick with the FS or go back to stock. I really like the short take up of the FS trigger, but I like the “roll” like let off of the stock trigger. If I stick with the FS, one modification I’ll make is to trim the trigger safety a little. One thing I noticed shooting it yesterday is if my trigger finger gets too low on the face of the trigger the safety won’t get depressed enough. Easily remedied by placing my finger towards the center of the trigger face, but I’ve developed a habit of placing my finger more towards the end of the trigger having shot other striker fired pistols over the years.

12 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

What's the biggest difference you notice from the stock trigger?

Other than ‘looking cool’ it simply takes out most (about 90%) of the do-nothing pre travel of the factory trigger.  

I’d say it’s one of the best factory triggers I’ve seen so far, as is, but if getting that slack out is important to you, for about $100 FreedomSmith will get you there.  

I wasn’t really concerned with it and thought the factory setup was just fine but I couldn’t resist tinkering with it.  😂 

10 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

I just installed a Pro on my RIval. At first the FS trigger alone. It actually made the trigger pull heavier, though the characteristics of the pull (take up, crispness) were improved, subjectively. Next I installed the Sprinco trigger return spring. I didn’t put the scale to it, but my tip of finger impression is the trigger pull lightened a little bit. Finally I went ahead and installed the Sprinco striker spring, and firing pin safety plunger spring. This put the trigger weight in the same range as the stock, but it’s a crisper trigger and the short take up is really nice. At this point it’s hard to say if I’ll stick with the FS or go back to stock. I really like the short take up of the FS trigger, but I like the “roll” like let off of the stock trigger. If I stick with the FS, one modification I’ll make is to trim the trigger safety a little. One thing I noticed shooting it yesterday is if my trigger finger gets too low on the face of the trigger the safety won’t get depressed enough. Easily remedied by placing my finger towards the center of the trigger face, but I’ve developed a habit of placing my finger more towards the end of the trigger having shot other striker fired pistols over the years.

I wish Canik would take some of the PreTravel out of the Stock Rival Trigger,  then you wouldn't need a Freedomsmith Trigger. 

59 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

I wish Canik would take some of the PreTravel out of the Stock Rival Trigger,  then you wouldn't need a Freedomsmith Trigger. 

Agreed. If I end up sticking with the FS trigger in the end the reason is going to the be short pre travel compared to stock. 

1 hour ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Agreed. If I end up sticking with the FS trigger in the end the reason is going to the be short pre travel compared to stock. 

I mean you see Walther doing it with their dynamic performance trigger and those are night and day compared to factory. For this being the top competitor model, it would be great to see a similar Canik version 

Has anyone experimented with trying to add the Walther Dynamic Trigger into a Rival?  From what I have heard about the DPT it is very nice.  It's not really a cost effective venture.

If I had a friend in NW Florida running the DPT I'd be all over doing a little swapping of parts.

Interesting thing happened at a match yesterday....I installed a FS trigger on my Rival S a couple days before the match. I had taken it to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it and everything worked perfectly. I was confident it would be safe and work just fine going forward. Fast forward to yesterday and during the final stage of the match I was shooting and about 10 rounds into the stage the trigger wouldn't reset, meaning it wouldn't release forward after a shot. I messed with it a little and it still didn't want to reset completely. Not wanting to continue with a gun that might not be safe, I stopped myself. I was able to unload and show clear, but the trigger press to drop the striker didn't feel right. I took the pistol to the safe area and upon taking a closer look, it appeared the trigger safety had somehow wedged itself inside the open area beneath the trigger. I assisted it forward, checked things for function and could not re-create the issue. Honestly, I couldn't even see how the issue came about in the first place. When the match was over I went to a public range nearby and put about 50 rounds through the gun without issue. Any of the rest of you bump into, or heard about a similar problem?