Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO 3D Printed Magwell

CC3D

I wanted to show off something I've been working on. I really don't love the design of the factory magwell on the TSO. Looks wise it's okay, but it sure is tiny. I've had my TSO for a few months and the magwell is already completely chewed up. I've been working on a 3D printed design for a better looking magwell with a wider opening. Say what you want about 3D printed parts, they aren't bomb proof, but hold up better than you'd expect. They're also cheap to make if you own a printer, so replacements are easy to come by. If you know CAD you can also make super custom items that are spec'd exactly how you like them. 

1059779993_ScreenShot2022-02-15at7_09_21PM.png.5284787c86019a113f1dd1285038e14b.png

For the life of me I could not get good lighting for this picture, but I'm happy with the look. A good eye might notice a 3D printed mag release and thumb rest, both my design as well. Anyone else running 3D printed parts on their race gun/ rig? I'd love to see some of the stuff people have come up with. You really can't beat the customization that a 3D printer affords. 

I was actually about to start work on a similar design. I was going to go for the TEvo sports looking *thumb rest [generic]*. I'll do some mock ups and post them here to see if anyone has feedback.

I also have already made a version that resembles the style of the TS2 thumb rest that comes on the racing green model:

621359385_ScreenShot2022-02-16at3_15_22PM.png.3223923fc7be2170c6d8005b15c585e6.png

Didn't end up using this one because I like my thumb to sit a bit higher, but it works just as well as the one I currently have on the TSO. 

Edited by CC3D
clarity

17 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I like the magwell idea!  It would be slick like the Dawson magwells with the inserts.  nice work!

That's an idea I've been toying with actually, trying to figure out a way to implement that. I really like the design of the sebo magwell but cant justify spending so much on something that will be completely chewed up in a few months. I don't care about how the "chewed up" magwell makes the gun look, but the metal gets worse and worse on your feed lips the more jagged/ textured it gets. Working out an exchangeable plastic protector for the magwell like the Dawson design could solve that issue but would be difficult to implement with a 3D printer.. 

10 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Man after dropping tons of money on shadow 2 parts recently I really like this idea. What printer do you use?

I use an ender 3. I've had it for 2 years now and still runs like a champ. I seriously have used it multiple times a week since I got it and its still going. 

7 hours ago, Nathanb said:

I’m waiting for a shadow 2 mag file somewhere. I want to print practice mags 

I am currently working on a dry fire mag for the TS line up of pistols. I'm getting very close to a finished and functional model. Theres a thread I started on here where I've been posting updates. Someone asked me to do a shadow 2 magazine there, which I plan to do once I finish the TS model. I don't have a shadow so I just need someone with dial calipers to send me detailed specs and I can get cracking on one. 

5 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Damn that’s a great idea also. What do you think the weight

would be?

It will depend on what bullet weight you generally use. When I made dummy mags I add weight to them with unloaded bullets. It's easy to do the math on how many you'll need, but again it will depend on your bullet weight and whether or not you run extensions (more bullets more weight). 

28 minutes ago, CC3D said:

It will depend on what bullet weight you generally use. When I made dummy mags I add weight to them with unloaded bullets. It's easy to do the math on how many you'll need, but again it will depend on your bullet weight and whether or not you run extensions (more bullets more weight). 

So you can load the 3d printed dummy mags?

36 minutes ago, CC3D said:

I use an ender 3. I've had it for 2 years now and still runs like a champ. I seriously have used it multiple times a week since I got it and its still going. 

Damn it’s only $189?

7 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

So you can load the 3d printed dummy mags?

No, they have a compartment built in where you can add weights. I just use unloaded bullets (no casing) to weight them because that's what I have around and they're a known mass already, so easy to count out how many I need. And as for the cost of the ender, I paid like 160 for it. They go on sale all the time, and they have different versions of it like the pro and v2. All that being said, prices may have gone up, and sub 200 for a machine as reliable as the ender 3 is hard to beat. 

22 minutes ago, CC3D said:

No, they have a compartment built in where you can add weights. I just use unloaded bullets (no casing) to weight them because that's what I have around and they're a known mass already, so easy to count out how many I need. And as for the cost of the ender, I paid like 160 for it. They go on sale all the time, and they have different versions of it like the pro and v2. All that being said, prices may have gone up, and sub 200 for a machine as reliable as the ender 3 is hard to beat. 

Still super cheap. I was thinking it would be way more. I’m going to have to pick one up.

Vase mode is an interesting idea, although if you plan to drop the mags to practice reloads, the one line wall thickness won't hold up. The issue I'm having now is with making them durable enough to drop repeatedly while fully weighted, even with several wall layers its still an issue. Will post an update when I get a droppable version printed up. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 2:06 AM, CC3D said:

I wanted to show off something I've been working on. I really don't love the design of the factory magwell on the TSO. Looks wise it's okay, but it sure is tiny. I've had my TSO for a few months and the magwell is already completely chewed up. I've been working on a 3D printed design for a better looking magwell with a wider opening. Say what you want about 3D printed parts, they aren't bomb proof, but hold up better than you'd expect. They're also cheap to make if you own a printer, so replacements are easy to come by. If you know CAD you can also make super custom items that are spec'd exactly how you like them. 

1059779993_ScreenShot2022-02-15at7_09_21PM.png.5284787c86019a113f1dd1285038e14b.png

For the life of me I could not get good lighting for this picture, but I'm happy with the look. A good eye might notice a 3D printed mag release and thumb rest, both my design as well. Anyone else running 3D printed parts on their race gun/ rig? I'd love to see some of the stuff people have come up with. You really can't beat the customization that a 3D printer affords. 

Are you sharing this STL?