Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee FCD Remove 750XL Case Flare?

I am ordering 9mm dies for my new 750XL and want to know if the case flare from the 750xl is different from Lee pistol dies I have used?

I want to use the Lee FCD in station #5, Lee seater die in station #4 and Dillon Powder alarm in station #3.

Can the 9mm FCD remove the case flare from the 750xl powder funnel and crimp the brass in one step?

33 minutes ago, fatfart said:

I am ordering 9mm dies for my new 750XL and want to know if the case flare from the 750xl is different from Lee pistol dies I have used?

I want to use the Lee FCD in station #5, Lee seater die in station #4 and Dillon Powder alarm in station #3.

Can the 9mm FCD remove the case flare from the 750xl powder funnel and crimp the brass in one step?

yes

I'd opt for a standard taper crimp die (pick you favorite brand) vs the FCD.  Especially if you are loading lead/coated lead.  The FCD will swage the oversized lead bullets and that can lead to accuracy or leading issues.  I have a FCD but I only use it if the finished cartridge doesn't pass the case gauge and then it gets segregated for practice only.

There isn't anything special about the Dillon expander funnel that creates the case flare.  Any taper crimp die will remove that flare (including the FCD).

Cheers,

Toby

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 2:08 PM, tdogg said:

I'd opt for a standard taper crimp die (pick you favorite brand) vs the FCD.  Especially if you are loading lead/coated lead.  The FCD will swage the oversized lead bullets and that can lead to accuracy or leading issues.  I have a FCD but I only use it if the finished cartridge doesn't pass the case gauge and then it gets segregated for practice only.

There isn't anything special about the Dillon expander funnel that creates the case flare.  Any taper crimp die will remove that flare (including the FCD).

Cheers,

Toby

On 9mm, the carbide ring on the Lee FCD never touches the section with the bullet unless something is really off.  9mm cases are tapered.  The carbide does reach a little farther down the case than a standard sizing die as it crimps, which I do like.  The only issue I have had with the FCD is that the machining is not great on the tapered part, so it shaves brass like it's a file when it crimps.  I polished the inside of the taper section which improved it.

Mike

Edited by VortecMAX

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I’m crazy and have done this completely wrong but I run the FCD for 9mm on 5 of my 750. But have adjusted it so it makes minimum contact to the case mouth just to remove the bell. Has worked fine so far. 

McTrigger:

As long as you aren't getting setback on chambered rounds, and they drop into the case gage, you're good to go.  Most full-length sizers will squeeze the case down enough that you can see where the base of the bullet stops from the outside.  If you can, you are not going to get setback under normal chambering forces.

Mike

Edited by VortecMAX

Some people make the mistake that they interpret the initial resistance when the round enters the Lee FCD as the bottom ring of the FCD sizing the bullet when it is actually the case mouth flare which is responible for this in the vast majority of cases.

Edited by RGA

I marked up a couple rounds before crimping with a .356 135gr bullet seated at “1.100 and you can see that the FCD sizer doesn’t touch the brass where the bullet sits.C4D20798-D925-4B8F-90F4-C203A246059B.thumb.jpeg.d771ba1f9b7107c20bedf694097b3e46.jpeg

Edited by Leadpilot