Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Detail Cleaning S&ws

revchuck

I'm going to try to detail clean some of my S&Ws over the long weekend. For reassembly, what's your favorite lube for the pivots and rebound slide? I've got Slide Glide Lite, Gunslick, and Browning's version of the grease everyone sells in a syringe. Is there anything out there that's demonstrably better enough to make it worth getting something else?

Y'all don't eat too much today. :)

Hop - How much RemOil? Dampen it or drown it? :D

I keep a small bottle of it in my gun bag for a quick clean-up when I shoot my carry gun. I have it because it's small and cheap and works. I'm concerned with how long something that thin will endure over a period of time (about a year) as the only lube inside a revolver.

Chuck,

I practice with Lead bullets, therefore I also clean it about every 2000 rounds or so.

Since I clean it fairly often I can't anwser that question.

But, If you are doubting it has enough lube you can reliably relube with Remoil without taking the side plate off.

Cock the hammer (empty gun please) a couple of drops down each side of the hammer.

Flip gun over and a couple of drops down each side of the trigger, and where the rebound spring housing is.

Dry fire and repeat one more time.

That will give you a quick "relube" but is not as good as taking the sideplate off and doing it correctly.

Hop

Oh yeah, damp plus just a little...No need in drowning as the extra will run out.

I use prolong on the cylinder and yoke. For the hammer and trigger pivot pin, and sear surface I use Mobil1 synthetic grease. use very lite kote also on the rebound slide. For those of you who handled my 625 at the classic, it had over 3000 rounds tru it and has yet to bee cleaned. Maybe this weekend.

I'm going to try to detail clean some of my S&Ws over the long weekend. For reassembly, what's your favorite lube for the pivots and rebound slide? I've got Slide Glide Lite, Gunslick, and Browning's version of the grease everyone sells in a syringe. Is there anything out there that's demonstrably better enough to make it worth getting something else?

Y'all don't eat too much today. :)

Hi Chuck :)

I clean with Tetra Gun degreaser spray, and I lube the rebound slide with a mixt of Break Free n° 1 (Military specs) and Tetra Lubricant, for the pivot of hammer and trigger Tetra Lubricant.

In the sear only Break Free, my friend gift to me a bottle of Militec-1 I must try it but task that Break Free is the best :D

Best, Igor

At Area 5 this year, Hopalong was cleaning his revolver with some sort of volatile fluid that Rodney May had in a Crown Royal bottle (the same bottle Cliff kept drinking from, in fact). The hilljacks were using some sort of strange-looking lube, too.....I guess I really don't want to know what that stuff was.....

Dillon sells some stuff called "Snake Oil" and it tends to stick better than Rem-Oil. I use it on Pins, Sear, Rebound Slide and just lightly coat the Crane.

But, I keep Rem-Oil in my bag as it flows easier, especially if the temps get below 40. I've also happily used Rem-Oil alone if I don't have any Snake Oil.

I have a RLee 4# Action Job and it shows up pretty quick if you have too heavy weight of lube. Tried SG Lite and it slowed down the Rebound too much with the RLee action. With the Clark 7# it doesn't seem to matter as much.

Dave

If you have one of my trigger jobs, I recommend Lubriplate white grease. It has the best viscosity characteristics over a broad range of temperatures. It is a very lightweight grease which allows the parts to move as freely as in oil, but floats the rebound slide and rebound seat for a responsive return. It's also pretty cheap. :-) #311-003-010 in Brownells. I've had the 10 oz tube for about 6 years and it's about half full.

Sorry for being incommunicado from the forum... trying to get a handle on the volume of work(thanks guys).

Cliff W.- did you get Lisa's message about your 627? It's very nice. :-)

At Area 5 this year, Hopalong was cleaning his revolver with some sort of volatile fluid that Rodney May had in a Crown Royal bottle (the same bottle Cliff kept drinking from, in fact). The hilljacks were using some sort of strange-looking lube, too.....I guess I really don't want to know what that stuff was.....

I would say that hoppe's #9 is much better on the rocks than straight out of the bottle...

Cliff W.- did you get Lisa's message about your 627? It's very nice. :-)

Randy, I got the message. :D:D It was kind of exiting hearing her work the action over the phone...it was my first time at phone dry fire....

ps, don't show that to Lisa.

later,

Cliff

Greetings Clifford,

First timer at 'phone' dry fire?? You mean you're a VIRGIN??? You poor guy...you need to try it more often.

Remember....practice, practice, practice. Not that I find it exciting or anything :D

Squibby

In Cliff's defense, the subject line is "what's everyone's favorite goo?" So although it's perhaps a bit stomach-turning, it's really not a thread drift situation after all.

Edited by Carmoney

In Cliff's defense, the subject line is "what's everyone's favorite goo?" So although it's perhaps a bit stomach-turning, it's really not a thread drift situation after all.

Leave it to the new guy to go right into the gutter....

Hmmm.

You guys are starting to make me think that I should have cleaned my revolver sometime in the last couple of years. :unsure:

Other than, you know, just polishing up the exterior.

OK. Back to the thread drift.

Edited by Keith