Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Wilson 92G brigadier

jripper

So I picked up a new Wilson 92 G brigadier last saturday.  I've never owned a Beretta, and am a big CZ fan/owner/shooter.  The trigger seems really smooth, reset is good, and SA breaks clean.  I am fairly impressed with this.  Is there anything I should do to it.  I understand that Wilson installs the D spring but they include a second spring with it.  Is this a stock spring?  Or is it a lighter weight?  I ordered a 12 and 13 lb hammer spring.  Anything else I should look into?

Thanks

Ernest Langdon is the source of many of the ideas in the Wilson pistol:  changing the trigger bar such that during the DA pull the hammer rotates a good bit further back, storing more energy for the same mainspring weight, and letting us get away with a bit lighter mainspring weights.  As always, let your wallet be your guide.  Langdon has some more ideas in his own pistols:  a trigger bar different from the Wilson bar in that it has a shorter reset.  Langdon also reworks the fire control parts three other ways. The least expensive is the Trigger Job in a Bag, where you install parts he has already worked on, which does about 80% of what he can do with a full trigger job.  The second is a full trigger job, where you have to send in the pistol.  The third is where you send him your pistol and he does a trigger job, then sends the parts out for NP3 coating.   

The second spring Wilson sent you is probably the stock spring, about 20 pounds rating.  The D spring is about 16 pounds.  If you get a .22 conversion kit, the 12 and 13 pound mainsprings will fail to ignite some .22 rimfire cartridges.  The 16 pound should ignite all rimfire cartridges.  

My experience has been that the Wilson and Langdon trigger bars impart enough more energy using a 12 pound spring that I get 100% ignition even with hard primers, but keep in mind that Federal is acknowledged to be the most sensitive.  If it is really important and you are going low with the mainspring strength, go with Federal, if you can.  

• 11 months later...

The spring that comes with the Beretta 92g from Wilson Combat that's in the box is the 20# hammer spring which for some reason still exists. 

I'll just say this. The D spring that Wilson Combat uses, is actually a 16# hammer spring, and is Beretta OEM's solution to a light but reliable hammer spring. Which is weird because you can viably use a 14# hammer spring and you'll get the same reliability as the D spring too, even Ernest Langdon says so (no issues with hard primers).

You can go to a 13# hammer spring and Ernest Langdon's team still recommends it for concealed carry as the lightest you can go while keeping your gun reliable. 12# on the other hand is a fat no for reliable ignition with primers UNLESS you get the MCARBO spring kit which uses a lighter sear spring, 12# hammer spring, lighter trigger return spring, and even a lighter FIRING PIN spring. 

Allegedly you can use a 12# hammer spring with the Wilson Combat trigger bar, but here's the thing. The Wilson Combat trigger bar reduces over-travel, but in single action the hammer is seated further backwards meaning it gains more inertia in SA and even DA too.

The WC trigger bar however does not reduce the reset distance at all, whereas the Langdon trigger bar offers a very different approach. The Optimized Performance trigger bar from Langdon does not offer the same "reliability increase" as the WC trigger bar, but it offers an immensely reduced reset distance similar to that of the Extreme-S trigger bar, but unique to the Langdon trigger bar is the over-travel stop as well, so in my opinion you're better off just going with the Langdon trigger bar anyways. 

16 hours ago, Friedrich_der_Grosse said:

The spring that comes with the Beretta 92g from Wilson Combat that's in the box is the 20# hammer spring which for some reason still exists. 

From the grapevine I’ve heard the original reason for the 20# hammer spring was because the M9 needed to be able to crack the hardest of NATO 9mm primers, something that is definitely not a problem for us normal people unless we get into WW3.

I would assume it has a use case for people who use rifle primers or such in reloads due to necessity.

Edited by Solairefastora
Details

I will ad that I have had absolutely no problems w/ CCI Blazer in either brass or aluminum case. When Walmart was selling Federal that was my go to. I had left Walmart and heard on the radio news that they were stopping selling handgun ammo. I turned right around and bouth every box of Federal the had. The next day I went to another Walmart and did the same. So I was lucky when ammo went crazy during covid. I didn't buy ammo for 1.5 years. Since then the Blazer is my go to. Beginning in mid November I started getting emails w/ Blazer on sale. Since then I have bought 6 cases. We can't trust politics, and crazy market conditions, etc. So my plan is to have enough that I will not run out of ammo. Back to 92s. My idpa M9A1 runs an 11# spring. I got a 92X Defensive last summer and it runs a 10# spring. Both have LTT NP3 TJIBs I installed. I do clean out the firing pin channel every 6 weeks or so. For me the Wilson trigger bar was great. But then LTT came out w/ theirs. It does the same DA longer hammer arc as the Wilson but then ads the reduced reset. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been shooting a Wilson/Beretta Brig Tac in production and 2/3gun since they came out.  Mine came with the trigger job as well.  The only thing I’ve changed is I added a fiber optic front sight, a LTT trigger bar for a sweet reset and I run a Wilson Combat 11.5lb recoil spring cuz I shoot a light load of 4.2gn of Titegroup with a 147gn bullet.  Love this pistol and the way I have it set up works well.

I ran them with Dawson sights... If you like the trigger, shoot it a bunch before putting the WC or LTT TJIAB into it... 

The 11.5 springs are nice if you're shooting a lot of USPSA...