Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running Bul Armory 1911's (9mm) as competition raceguns (SS)

KAYZER

On 1/26/2022 at 1:17 PM, Nc1911 said:

I hesitate to ask this question because I don’t want to hijack your post and enter into a different discussion, but I noticed a shock buff on your guide rod.  
Do you run thr buffs on all your guns and have YOU had any problems with cycling (reliability)of the gun?

Don't be. That is what this thread is about! I run thick buffers on my 9 mils. I believe they are from Ghost, they basically de-stroke the slide but my slide-stop can still engage and I can still rack the slide for failures and unloaded starts. Never had any issues running buffers, but check them EVERY TIME I clean. 

-EDIT-  

It just came to my attention that you also questioned the reliability. In my opinion: we are running a platform not designed for the caliber. It would make way more sense to run the 1911 in 38 super (COAL and case shape). Basically the 9MM needs to be tuned to run reliable. A buffer is as said de-stroking the gun and makes the slide essentially travel less. This also makes it so that the recoil spring is less compressed and the forward momentum is impacted. If you have any reliability issues, I would strongly suggest to skip the buffer, use OEM springs (at least 10 pounds) and check mags and ammo. It is more likely that the buffer is worsening a deeper rooted issue. 

Edited by KAYZER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Love both my 9mm BUL trophy saw 1911s. The first one has around 10k rounds and other then swapping magwell to an S&A one and replacing a broken thumb safety, I'm left handed and put a lot of pressure on it, it's been extremely reliable. Second one is set up exactly the same but only has maybe 2k rounds. 

10 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Love both my 9mm BUL trophy saw 1911s. The first one has around 10k rounds and other then swapping magwell to an S&A one and replacing a broken thumb safety, I'm left handed and put a lot of pressure on it, it's been extremely reliable. Second one is set up exactly the same but only has maybe 2k rounds. 

I’m lefty also, looking at picking up a bushing government model in 9mm. Do you run the standard mag release? All my sigs and CZs have the mag release swapped to the right side but it seems options are super limited for this on 1911s.

15 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

I’m lefty also, looking at picking up a bushing government model in 9mm. Do you run the standard mag release? All my sigs and CZs have the mag release swapped to the right side but it seems options are super limited for this on 1911s.

I run the standard mag release on all my guns. 

• 5 weeks later...

Very informative thread - thanks!
Had a Bul Trophy a few years back, and it was the most fun to shoot gun I've had. The only main drawback for me was the magazines then available in niner - some required a huge whack to seat them when fully loaded. Since then I've moved to red dots as and our underground range's lighting isn't fun for Senior eyes!

• 1 year later...

It's been a while...any updates on the trophies?

Would you buy them again vs Dan Wesson or other options? Looking for single stack guns for uspsa (current trophy has barrel bushing)

Very informative content. Thanks!

Edited by broomhandle