Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX mags differences

donno

There is a subtle difference in the body toward the top of the mag and a corresponding difference in the follower.

Edited by kmc
clarification of description

20 minutes ago, zzt said:

Yes, there are.  Watch the MBX videos to find out what can be used with what.

I looked on the website and click the link in faq's and it took me to a video about their rifles.

12 minutes ago, kmc said:

And, while I'm a big MBX fan...owning many copies, Adrian's video explaining how to tell the difference is ANYTHING but clear. In fact he almost makes it MORE confusing.

Thats what I thought too. Where he points to the differences is actually out of camera frame! I am giving them a call tomorrow anyway.

40 minutes ago, kmc said:

And, while I'm a big MBX fan...owning many copies, Adrian's video explaining how to tell the difference is ANYTHING but clear. In fact he almost makes it MORE confusing.

I don't see how you could make a mistake.  Example:  for 9mm followers, if you see a 9 on the side of the follower it is Gen 2.  If not it is Gen 1.  If you are not sure or can't figure it out then use Gen 1 in everything.  I actually use Gen 1 followers in my 9mm big sticks because they work better.

There is a video where Adrian explains the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags, plus followers.  I'll admit he can be obtuse, but this particular video was quite clear.

That’s not my point. I have a set of tubes and I have no ideA whether they are gen1 or gen 2. Which followers do I order?

6 minutes ago, zzt said:

I don't see how you could make a mistake.  Example:  for 9mm followers, if you see a 9 on the side of the follower it is Gen 2.  If not it is Gen 1.  If you are not sure or can't figure it out then use Gen 1 in everything.  I actually use Gen 1 followers in my 9mm big sticks because they work better.

There is a video where Adrian explains the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags, plus followers.  I'll admit he can be obtuse, but this particular video was quite clear.

That is missing my point. I have a set of tubes  and I have no idea if they are gen1 or gen2. What followers do I order? His video is anything but clear.

1 minute ago, kmc said:

That is missing my point. I have a set of tubes  and I have no idea if they are gen1 or gen2. What followers do I order? His video is anything but clear.

His video is quite clear.  If the indent on the side of the tubes goes all the way up to the top you have Gen 1 tubes.  If it stops just short of the top it is Gen 2.    Gen 2 followers DO NOT work in Gen 1 tubes.  Gen 1 followers work in ALL tubes.  So if you are at all worried about misidentifying your tubes, order Gen 1 followers.  As he states in the video, they are universal followers.  They work in all tubes.  About the only thing you have to get right is the caliber.

51 minutes ago, zzt said:

His video is quite clear.  If the indent on the side of the tubes goes all the way up to the top you have Gen 1 tubes.  If it stops just short of the top it is Gen 2.    Gen 2 followers DO NOT work in Gen 1 tubes.  Gen 1 followers work in ALL tubes.  So if you are at all worried about misidentifying your tubes, order Gen 1 followers.  As he states in the video, they are universal followers.  They work in all tubes.  About the only thing you have to get right is the caliber.

Actually his video is anything but clear and he never clearly shows what he's talking about. Before I got a Gen2 tube, it was unclear what version I had. Having two tubes of different vintage side-by-side, the difference is subtle at best. I know I'm not the only only one left wondering by his video. It would have been much better had he carefully shown what he's talking about.

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

slap some new springs in them and sell them and use the atlas competition mags. 

they are 100% better

I just got one of these to try in 9mm. So far it's really good.

Matt

1 hour ago, Posvar said:

I just got one of these to try in 9mm. So far it's really good.

Matt

I have 3 of the 170s and ive used them with both 9 major and 38 sc for several matches and they function perfectly 

I did keep 1 170 mbx for the 29 rd stage, but i mean theres always a place to reload so i dont think theres any specific advantage to that 1 extra round. 

Ive heard if you use the tti thin followers in the atlas mags you can get that 29th rd in but like i said im not sure if its even any advantage anymore

25 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I did keep 1 170 mbx for the 29 rd stage

Why bother?  If you are trying to run a 30 round stage with 29+1 you are going to be too careful with your shots.  You'll be faster through the stage if you plan on a mag change.  Geez.  I started Open with 40sw.  26 rounds in a big stick and  20 in the 140a.  I never felt disadvantaged.  Now I LMAO at the gyrations some go through to get 30 reloadable in a mag.  If they are that scared of a reload they should practice more.

8 minutes ago, zzt said:

Why bother?  If you are trying to run a 30 round stage with 29+1 you are going to be too careful with your shots.  You'll be faster through the stage if you plan on a mag change.  Geez.  I started Open with 40sw.  26 rounds in a big stick and  20 in the 140a.  I never felt disadvantaged.  Now I LMAO at the gyrations some go through to get 30 reloadable in a mag.  If they are that scared of a reload they should practice more.

I agree with this. Always a place to reload once and not lose time 

I should’ve said this the first time I posted on this thread but I have never had an issue with my MBX magazines. They seem to work in any gun I have owned. For my SV guns I use SV mags though.

2 minutes ago, Posvar said:

I should’ve said this the first time I posted on this thread but I have never had an issue with my MBX magazines. They seem to work in any gun I have owned. For my SV guns I use SV mags though.

That has been my experience as well. I have various lengths (and generations) of 9mm for Open and 40 for Limited.

2 minutes ago, kmc said:

That has been my experience as well. I have various lengths (and generations) of 9mm for Open and 40 for Limited.

Could never tell a difference between generation one and generation two as far as performance goes. The green followers were always good to go.

I had mixed Gen 1 and Gen 2 tubes in 40sw.  I used Gen 1 followers in all.  If it wasn't for the different colored base pads, I couldn't tell them apart.  My 9mm mags are all Gen 2.  I have Gen 2 followers in the 155s and a Gen 1 in the 170.    Why?  Filled with 29 rounds the 170 is more easily reloadable with the Gen 1 follower.  When the followers in the 155s need replacing, they will get Gen 1.  I think they work better.

• 3 weeks later...