Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 AR 10 setup

vgdvc

Hello all. I'm looking to build a relatively budget-minded 308 to use in some multi-gun locally. I'm planning on working off of an AR-10 platform which has an 18 inch barrel, adjustable gas block with carbine length buffer tube. Any recommendations for buffer, spring and muzzle brake combination is appreciated. (Was considering a Kynshot or Armaspec) I will basically be using ball ammo since where we compete ranges are restricted to inside 200 yards so accuracy of this ammo should be sufficient, thank you.

6 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

Although not entirely budget minded, I sure like the JP Silent buffer:  GEN 2 Silent Captured Spring for AR-10-type rifles

Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed a reduction in recoil or just a smoother bolt operating? I have a Blitzkrieg/kynshot hydraulic unit in my PCC  and have noticed less dot bounce with it. Not sure if any of that experience would apply to a 308 platform.

2 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed a reduction in recoil or just a smoother bolt operating? I have a Blitzkrieg/kynshot hydraulic unit in my PCC  and have noticed less dot bounce with it. Not sure if any of that experience would apply to a 308 platform.

Smoother operating.  You don't hear the grating that a normal buffer has.  In the end, is it a meaningful comparison?  Maybe, maybe not.

10 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

I have a Blitzkrieg/kynshot hydraulic unit in my PCC  and have noticed less dot bounce with it. Not sure if any of that experience would apply to a 308 platform.

Buffer selection is not as critical in AR platforms with Adjustable gas blocks, like it is in a direct blowback system in 9 mm PCC because you can adjust the gas in the system.  For a competition AR Platform rifles I would imagine you would go with a light BCG,  as well to minimize dot movement.  The JP Silent Capture Spring system in use with an a Light Mass BCG and adjustable gas block is in many Competition ARs.

For the heart of any Competition AR Platforms I use JP BCGs.  They are a bit pricy but their quality is second to none and they offer Light Mass BCGs for 308.  I have not personally used the 308 BCG but I imagine the quality of the 308 is on par with their 223/556 BCGs.

Why 308 for inside of 200yds?  To play in a certain division?

I'm on my third AR10 for competing in heavy metal divisions now. I have traditionally used the M4-72 on all my competition rifles both small and large frame. However my current build I am using a SJC Titan because I wanted some top facing ports to help control the muzzle a little bit more. However either is great. 

Use JP LMOS carriers. I also currently have the VMOS as it can be configured even lighter than the LMOS but it has been a bit finicky.