Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hip replacement

MCGILLA

Good Morning gents, for guys with experience with full hip replacement surgery, how long did it take you to recover and go back to shooting matches? The doc said probably about 6-8 weeks for normal activity, it’s going to take place right in the middle of the summer season, I just wanted an idea about how long the recovery process is, there are a few matches I really want to shoot this year. Thanks! 

I had a hip replacement 5 years ago.    I was not shooting regularly at the time.   But I did take a 10 mile walking tour, in Israel, 5 weeks later.    I suspect I could have gotten through a match at the 4 week point if I didn't care a lot about my performance.

I had a hip replacement surgery fall 2020.  The first two weeks were extremely limiting.  The good news is that the pain in the joint was gone immediately.  I would be very careful doing anything beyond what the doctor and therapist tells you.  Eight weeks sounds optimistic.  It took about a year before I felt like I had fully recovered.  

The problem now is that I need my other hip replaced.

One guy at work had it done and was 100% in 10 weeks. My mom had both done and was back at 100% in about 12 weeks each time. I think a lot of it has to do with how much physical activity your body is used too. 

On 12/24/2021 at 8:39 AM, MCGILLA said:

Good Morning gents, for guys with experience with full hip replacement surgery, how long did it take you to recover and go back to shooting matches? The doc said probably about 6-8 weeks for normal activity, it’s going to take place right in the middle of the summer season, I just wanted an idea about how long the recovery process is, there are a few matches I really want to shoot this year. Thanks! 

my wife is a PA and 2 months is the typical timeframe it takes for your body to recover. Physical Training (PT) after is also typically another 1-2 months depending on the frequency, intensity, and volume of the program. I'd also recommend talking to a dietitian because the nutrition factor can also help aid in recovery.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, I’m very active Crossfit, mountain biking, I think years of training and sports put a lot of undue stress on my hips and now I’m having to pay the piper. So I’m thinking that recovery may be a little quicker for me especially at 39 but again I don’t know. I just hate to miss some of the matches this year. I had really looked forward to shooting a couple of major matches. 

Careful.  YMMV.

I had a hip replacement and did all the PT.  I was walking in a week.  But it took me 9 months to get back to being able to run.

The problem was not the hip joint.  It was all of the muscles that got stretched out during surgery.  The muscles simply would not respond to my brain's command to "run."  Something happened in surgery.  

My doctor told me 3 months to running.  After I told him that I was not running, he said "sometimes these things take up to a year."

Edited by Nemesis Lead