Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or 40cal?

Muddawg900

Howdy folks,

I'm looking at getting back into match shooting. I shot USPSA for about 2yrs a couple years ago, the whole time wanting a 2011 to shoot. Since then, I've moved to a new location where there aren't a lot of matches. So now I'm looking into steel challenge to get back into it. 

The real question is....of the folks who shoot center fire pistols, what do you see as a more popular choice? 9mm or 40cal? 

40cal has more merit for Limited division in USPSA, which was my original intention. But now I'm not sure if I'll be able to get back to USPSA. 

All thoughts and observations are appreciated!

no-brainer imho. 9mm is cheaper to purchase or reload, and it's not too unreasonable to shoot factory ammo.

otoh, if you already have a 40 that you love, and can reload minor pf ammo, there's nothing wrong with that. I have actually shot most of my CF steel challenge with 40 cal guns (cz 75 when it was my production rig, atlas titan when I was shooting limited in uspsa, and a trojan 1911 that ran the same ammo as the atlas).

If I were going to buy a gun just for steel challenge, it would probably be a 1911 in 9mm.

Are you not still in panama city? because there are a number uspsa matches not too far from there.

39 minutes ago, Muddawg900 said:

Howdy folks,

I'm looking at getting back into match shooting. I shot USPSA for about 2yrs a couple years ago, the whole time wanting a 2011 to shoot. Since then, I've moved to a new location where there aren't a lot of matches. So now I'm looking into steel challenge to get back into it. 

The real question is....of the folks who shoot center fire pistols, what do you see as a more popular choice? 9mm or 40cal? 

40cal has more merit for Limited division in USPSA, which was my original intention. But now I'm not sure if I'll be able to get back to USPSA. 

All thoughts and observations are appreciated!

9mm by far. No PF in Steel Challenge so puff loads that work the gun are all that's needed. 

Moto, 

No I dont currently live in Panama City. I live in Titusville Fl and the only decent club close to me is Volusia County (Gorka Ibanez's club). I'd love to get back to shooting USPSA one day, but I dont see that happening soon. So I'm taking what I can get with steel challenge. 

I dont actually have a 2011 yet, so I'm trying to figure out if I should go for the 9mm to run my current goals or 40cal in hopes of getting back to uspsa.

I havent yet had a chance to visit Volusia County yet. I knew they had USPSA but hadnt seen it on their schedule. Just needed to poke around a little more. Derp me. 

Maybe if I just get out there I'll get back into the swing of things.

On 12/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, Muddawg900 said:

Moto, 

No I dont currently live in Panama City. I live in Titusville Fl and the only decent club close to me is Volusia County (Gorka Ibanez's club). I'd love to get back to shooting USPSA one day, but I dont see that happening soon. So I'm taking what I can get with steel challenge. 

I dont actually have a 2011 yet, so I'm trying to figure out if I should go for the 9mm to run my current goals or 40cal in hopes of getting back to uspsa.

i wouldn’t waste the money on a 9mm 2011 for steel. a 1911 will be lighter and (much) cheaper, and reloads aren’t a thing. but if you like it better, thats all that really matters.

Buy a threaded optics ready plastic gun in 9mm. Then you can shoot limited in steel challenge, or production in USPSA, or toss an optic and comp on it and shoot open in steel challenge, or leave the comp off and shoot carry ops in USPSA, maybe there is carry ops in steel challenge too, I am not sure. 

Expense is low and versitility is high. Least that is what I was would do

14 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i wouldn’t waste the money on a 9mm 2011 for steel. a 1911 will be lighter and (much) cheaper, and reloads aren’t a thing. but if you like it better, thats all that really matters.

If I build it in 9mm, I'd use it for a range toy too, beyond shooting matches. I'm also already set up more for reloading 9mm, technically. I used to shoot A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want with a glock, but really wanted to transition to limited major in a 40cal 2011. 

6 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

40 minor is my favorite load to shoot, shooting coated the cost difference in bullets is $250.00 per year if I shoot 10,000 rounds per year. 

40 minor could very well be an option too..... 

I transitioned from cast lead bullets to using the blue bullets and I absolutely love them! Only occassionally do I shoot plated, and only if I get a decent deal on them.

If you are going to get back into USPSA Limited, buy the 2011 in 40sw.  I shoot 9mm and 40sw in major and minor.  With a 2011 40 your minor load has to be around 140 PF unless you are willing to change recoil springs when you switch back and forth.  For some reason 40 barks less and shoots softer than 9mm.

That being said, IMO, the very best gun for steel challenge Limited or SS is a 9mm 1911 tuned to run 100PF loads.  I've run mine as low as 95P.  You can't feel it and it barely moves.  I decided a couple of years ago that it is foolish to try and make one gun the best at more than one thing.  So buy the 9mm 1911 for SCSA.  If an when you get back into USPSA, you can decide if a 2011 40 is worth pursuing.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:09 AM, zzt said:

I decided a couple of years ago that it is foolish to try and make one gun the best at more than one thing. 

Understood. For many I think there is only one thing that they really care about and the rest is more like fun practice with friends. In my case I try to get a gun and load right for USPSA production and I find that good enough for steel and idpa.