Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extension Tubes For 1100

686+

What is your recomendation on extension tubes?

I can find TacStar ones locally. Any good?

Choate seems to be well liked here. How are those?

What about DMW? Seems a bit picey but are they well worth it?

Any others?

How is the extension tube on the CM? Is that a one piece or is it truly an extension? If it is one piece, how hard would it be to replace?

Thanks.

P.S. Picked up my 1100 aka Sportsman 12 and it looks good, but not perfect so I have no qualms about choping on it. Will go through 3 gunning it in the following weeks.

Thanks! this forum Rocks!!!

Choate for me. Price and quality are right on the button.

Brownells lists a 4 and 5 round extension. Is the 5 round the one to get (not shooting Open)? I'm a little confused as the USPSA rules seem to indicate that the magazine can't be capable of containing more than 8 rounds. Or am I not reading it right? "29. The maximum round capacity of the gun is restricted and the gun will have exceeded this capacity if it can be physically loaded with 10 x 70mm (2 ¾ inches) rounds at any one time." Since it says gun and not magazine, it makes it sound like 9+1 is a bad thing. However, from searching out here, it sounds like you want a 9 round tube just to make sure that odd-ball size shells will fit 8 rounds in the tube.

Choate Mag Extensions

159-102-874

4 Rds fits Rem 870/1100/11-87

159-102-875

5 Rds fits Rem 870/1100/11-87

I used to use the Tacstar that gave me 7 in the mag. They are made well, fits my 1100 like a glove, and worked like a champ but it only gave me 7 rnds.

I wanted an extension that gave me 8 in the mag so I went with the DMW. I like it even better than the Tacstar in regards to fit, finish, and reliability (spring seems to be better than the one I got with Tacstar).

A buddy just got a choate and it would not work with the enclosed orange follower or the factory remington metal one.......i chamfered the backside of the orange follower and it now works but i think the basic problem is a flange created by the extension fitted into the forend nut and the follower catches on it....sometime when we have more time i need to grind the offending flange out and i suspect it would work with either follower.....D I C K

I'm pretty sure that mine is a Tacstar unit. It holds 9 in the mag with one in the chamber and does not extend past the barrel.

I've never used it in competition but could easily place a plug in to restrict capacity.

I got a DMW for my 1100 from Chuck at Shooters Connection and it is a really sharp unit. My gun had the two indents in the metal feed tube for the plastic unit that holds the spring in when you take off the grips and barrel. Put the extention on the first time and could only get 5 in...then found the problem and the dremel fixed it. Holds 8 and one in the pipe. Ran it the next day in my first 3-gun and it ran perfect. Just need to blue lock tite it from spinning loose. I also got the Easy loader he makes and it makes a huge difference! If you get the easy loader have your smith put it on...major pain in the a** for someone not familiar with how everything works inside...and I have fat fingers. :wacko:

The Choate follower seems to work in mine, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I cycled the full capacity through it a couple times manually, with no feeding issues. I guess I've got a fairly old 1100. I just had to pry out a metal spring stop and there were no indents in the tube.

I've got the Easy Loader on the way from Chuck. I probably will have my smith put it in, since I'm about as mechanically inclined as a monkey with a hammer.

Thanks for all the inputs.

I think I am going to try the CM extension from Remington if they will sell the parts to me. Cost is about the same as a Choate, if you don,t get the $30 barrel to mag clamp!!!

One more, (crazy) question:

Anyone try one of these plastic doohicky extensions?

http://www.atigunstocks.com/installation/S...MW-install.html

• 2 weeks later...

Followup,

Got my extension tube from Remington. The tube is threaded the same as the mag and requires a coupling nut that looks like a mag cap without the end.

The Tube, coupler, spring and an orange follower were $46.15. So it is a competetive price to the Choate and TacStar.

The only other addition I might need is a clamp to secure the extension.

If anyone is interested I can post some pics.