Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 929 OEM Mainspring

BHBret

I just bought a new 929 and have had the cylinder chamfered by TK Custom and am installing an Apex hammer, extended firing pin and competition rebound spring. I'm also installing a Wolff Power Rib Type 2 reduced power mainspring. Lo and behold, the OEM mainspring in the 929 looks identical to the Wolff. Are the same spring???? If so, is the factory rebound spring one of the Wolff springs that came with the kit?

I tried measuring the trigger pull before I started and it maxed out my Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge (12 pound max).

That is the Wolff Power Rib mainspring. The rebound is probably an S&W one. The S&W factory rebound springs have closed and ground ends, the Wolff rebound springs just have closed ends. The ground ends are flat, the closed ends are full wire diameter. The Wolff has #1 and #2 mainsprings. The #1 is slightly curved, the #2 reduced power is a #1 with more bend in it to give less tension when the strain screw is tightened.

You nailed it. The factory rebound spring is ground flat on the ends. See photo. 

Three Wolff rebounds springs are not ground flat (both Apex are that came with the hammer). 

The Apex competition rebound spring wouldn’t reset the trigger. Both the 13# and 14# Wolff did. With the 13# the pull is about 9# with the strain screw all the way in. I backed it out until the pull was 7-1/2# and will use that as a starting point. I just have Winchester SPP. 

Both the OEM and Wolff mainsprings have the same curvature. 

No modification of the Apex hammer was necessary. Phew!

4783ED80-85D6-4ADF-8F94-2FE70CDB7D18.jpeg

Another ventures into the pond, welcome. The 929 was a whole new experience to me, I shoot USPSA Open, so the majority of my experience is on 1911's. My 929 had a 14# double action pull, I'm use to 2.5#, so the fun began. I don't know about Winchester primers, I'm using Federal, they are soft enough to lite off with a lite trigger pull of my 929. I have managed to get it to approx 5.75# double action, but that has taken some work. I couldn't get there without a TK spur less hammer. I polished all the moving parts inside and have the same springs as you do. I don't know what you are using for ammo, but I use Blue Bullets 38/357 147 gr w/ 3.5 gr of Vectan 9.5, get great results. Also Winchester brass and TK .035 moon clips, I have tries three different thickness moon clips, .035, .037. and .040, all function, but settled on .035 because I am using magnetic holders, you can only get (what I have seen) .040 in stainless, and the .037 have an octagonal hole that doesn't provide much area for the magnets to hold onto. A bummer to get to your next reload point , to find out that some for your moon clips have left the station. Good luck and have fun.

12 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

I don't know about Winchester primers, I'm using Federal, they are soft enough to lite off with a lite trigger pull of my 929.

Federal are the softest primer, and therefore are the preferred primer for a tuned revo.

Yea, CCI won't work reliably, Federal also needs to be seated properly, I've spent the time working the Winchester brass to uniformly get the depth/dia correct. Everything together has produced a very reliable round. When primers become readily available, I will spend some time with other types of brass to see what else works.

I'm looking forward to getting into the 929. I'm going to load for the 929 using Winchester brass, Sport Pistol and SNS 160 RN cast (.358). I've been looking for Federal SPP for months and will jump on them when they are available but, alas, I only have Winchester. 

Been using Federal LPP only in my 625.

For moonclips I have the three TK blued .035 that came with the 929 and a bonus 10 stainless TK .035 that I won at the IRC in September.  

3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Winchester primers are the next best thing to Federal. You can still have a pretty decent action with Win.

I also had good luck with Fiocchi SPP's, compared to WSP, they were hyper clean too fired in new brass left no residue in the pocket.  The only issue with them is I ran into severa spent primers that sucked back up into the primer pocket on reloading.  A 2nd hit was needed to pop them out.

7 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Good to know about the Win SPP, I have 1k of them, will give them a try. 

As for the TK SS moon clips, great quality, but magnets won't stick to them, If I change moon clip holders, would go with SS.

They stick to mine fine.

What clips and what magnets are you using?