Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does this measurement tell me?

ysrracer

I was surfing Amazon and came across "pin gauges". So I ordered three.

.356, .357,  .358

They were only a few bucks each. Well now that I've got them I cleaned the three guns I wanted to check. My 627, 686+, and 929.

The .357 pin fits thru the throats on all three guns. The .358 pin didn't go thru any of them.

So, now that I know this, what do I do? Just toss them in my tool box?

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I was surfing Amazon and came across "pin gauges". So I ordered three.

.356, .357,  .358

They were only a few bucks each. Well now that I've got them I cleaned the three guns I wanted to check. My 627, 686+, and 929.

The .357 pin fits thru the throats on all three guns. The .358 pin didn't go thru any of them.

So, now that I know this, what do I do? Just toss them in my tool box?

Now you can say that .358 is the correct size cast bullet for your revo.

Proper throat diameter is the same diameter as the bullet to .0005" larger than the bullet diameter. It sounds as if your throats are sized for .357" jacketed bullets. Most revolvers come sized for  factory bullets, but every manufacturer has acceptable tolerance, so some guns might be a little loose. If you are shooting mostly lead you should ream your cylinder throats to match your bullets (.358" - .3585")

Why? you might ask: If your bullet is larger than the throat, the throat will resize the bullet as it passes through, which will cause the cylinder to slam into the frame and then rebound against the recoil shield. Eventually this will increase cylinder end shake, faster wilth heavy loads, slow with light loads. Because I shoot lead, I had to ream the throats on my .357 GP100 to .358". On my 10mm GP100 the throats were at max. factory tolerance (.403"). Excessive throat diameter can cause leading issues, but polymer coated lead avoids that problem.

10 hours ago, ysrracer said:

You guys stink. On Facebook I got a bunch (incorrect) answers. The best one was:

"Pretty simple answer.  Buy more revolvers to check."

:)

What is wrong with that answer?🤩!

Seriously looks like your throats are .3575 +/- .0004?