Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EOtech Vudu 1-8

• 3 months later...

I was debating between the Vudu and Trijicon Credo. I ended up with the Trijicon in FFP. There Segmented circle works great a nice big red or green circle at low power but then expands out of the way at higher power. The problem with most FFP scopes is the reticle is to small at low power and hard to find

21 minutes ago, kpbaer said:

The problem with most FFP scopes is the reticle is to small at low power and hard to find

I have given this some thought too, but unless you are using a FFP optic that does not have some sort of illumination does it matter?  At low power aren’t you using it primarily as a red dot?  As long as the illumination is visible at 1X it would still work as a red dot. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have given this some thought too, but unless you are using a FFP optic that does not have some sort of illumination does it matter?  At low power aren’t you using it primarily as a red dot?  As long as the illumination is visible at 1X it would still work as a red dot. 

In theory yes, but not many FFP's have bright illumination. The Triji has daylight bright-ish, Nightforce is nuclear, Razor G3 is also very bright. Can't think of any other's I've seen that are worth a darn on a sunny day.

2 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

but not many FFP's have bright illumination

My experience with a wide variety of FFP optics is limited so I could see having a dot at 1X that is not day light bright, how the reticle would be next to worthless at 1x. 

I am also curious how the Vudu 1-8 stacks up. My Vortex Razors have me spoiled. I cannot imagine many other optics have as forgiving eye relief the Razors have, especially at that price point. 

Edited by Boomstick303

10 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I cannot imagine many other optics have as forgiving eye relief the Razors have, especially at that price point. 

I don't know why no other manufacturers have tried to match the 1x performance of the Razors. They keep adding things like zero stops and locking turrets and stuff that LPVO's don't really need. 

I think you could see the LPVO market and their use change a bit over the next 5-7 years. Especially with the concept of using an offset Red Dots in conjunction with LPVOS.  A buddy of mine built a SPR with a 16” barrel 3x18 Luepold and an offset rod dot.  His thought was if I am using an offset Red Dot why do I need an LPVO with 1x performance. One would think the minimum magnification for the LPVO you would use with an offset Red Dot is 3x. It got me to thinking that is not a bad point. Will this change in the gamer world?  Most likely not, but LPVO use is not just for the gamer world. Yes, I understand you will not always need 18 magnification, but is it a bad thing to have?  More options are always better than less options. 

I think the non gamer crowd is already gravitating towards the MPVO+RD thing, but DMR builds are all the hotness right now so that makes sense. I have yet to talk to a really good open shooter that believes an offset or top mount red dot is as fast or intuitive or biomechanically helpful with tight pairs as either an LPVO or RD mounted in the primary location. I even shot a club match with Froelich once, and despite all the cool well edited videos he's in depicting him always using the offset, it appeared if he could leave the LPVO on 1x and use it he would.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, kpbaer said:

I was debating between the Vudu and Trijicon Credo. I ended up with the Trijicon in FFP. There Segmented circle works great a nice big red or green circle at low power but then expands out of the way at higher power. The problem with most FFP scopes is the reticle is to small at low power and hard to find

That is why I went with the old USO sr4c(super reliable) and sr8c(back and forth to the shop multiple times)  

A 4 moa daylight red dot centered up in the second focal plane and a ffp reticle were great, but I have not found anyone else that can or will do this. 

On 1/9/2022 at 6:16 PM, TonytheTiger said:

I have yet to talk to a really good open shooter that believes an offset or top mount red dot is as fast or intuitive or biomechanically helpful with tight pairs as either an LPVO or RD mounted in the primary location.

I have yet to dabble in the 3 Gun game or 2x4 that I will be getting into this summer, but have shot a few 2 Gun and Carbine matches with an open AR setup. Vortex 1x6, with canted red dot.  I am definitely faster on the blaster stages using the canted red dot than using the 1X on the LPVO. This has been measured on the clock, but that could be due to using an LPVO on a much more limited basis than using red dots in general.  I do think there is a huge advantage to having the LPVO set to 3-6 magnification and using both the red dot and the LPVO on a stage which long and short distance targets. In most instances you do not have to adjust the LPVO at all. 

Looking forward to adding to thr the puzzle by adding more guns in the mix by shooting 3 Gun and 2x4 matches. 

• 1 year later...