Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round counter for RL 1100?

Lots of ways to make this happen.  You can set up a proximity sensor near the crimper and it will count bullets as they pass by.

Here's something that should work:  Link

Rex Roach put together a video of a proximity sensor with a bullet falling through a funnel:  ProximitySensor

Edited by SnipTheDog
afasd

28 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

Lots of ways to make this happen.  You can set up a proximity sensor near the crimper and it will count bullets as they pass by.

Rex Roach put together a video of a proximity sensor with a bullet falling through a funnel:  ProximitySensor

Thanks, but I'm not quite sure how/where to attach it to my RL1100 press.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Thanks, but I'm not quite sure how/where to attach it to my RL1100 press.

A magnetic base would work.  Attach the magnetic base to the case feed riser.  MagneticBase

You could also mount it to the bottom of your press.

Edited by SnipTheDog
DFdsaf

I used the Armanov digital counter on my RL1050. It does a bunch of things; counts cases down the chute into the bin. It works great. Has a memory function, press maintenance interval etc. I just use it for counting loaded rounds. Works great! By the way, I found I did not need to install the included LED light since I have the Starlight already installed. Super clean installation as well.

2 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I used the Armanov digital counter on my RL1050. It does a bunch of things; counts cases down the chute into the bin. It works great. Has a memory function, press maintenance interval etc. I just use it for counting loaded rounds. Works great! By the way, I found I did not need to install the included LED light since I have the Starlight already installed. Super clean installation as well.

I echo cbrussell's post. I have the Armanov on my 1100. Works great, nice installation location, no complaints!

Ed

1 hour ago, eboadway said:

I echo cbrussell's post. I have the Armanov on my 1100. Works great, nice installation location, no complaints!

Ed

How does it attach to the base of the 1100 press?  I can’t really see it in the pics. 

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

On my RL1050 the chute attached with the ejector screw.

The counter mounted to the case feeder support bar. All plug and play.

9B074153-D8D6-48A3-88E7-35DD9734680D.jpeg

482BAF1C-41DF-4D98-8924-59C741101CE6.jpeg

Thanks, those pics were very helpful. 

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

On my RL1050 the chute attached with the ejector screw.

The counter mounted to the case feeder support bar. All plug and play.

9B074153-D8D6-48A3-88E7-35DD9734680D.jpeg

482BAF1C-41DF-4D98-8924-59C741101CE6.jpeg

cb:

Great pics and THANKS for posting!

Got a couple of questions:  

1)  Was the stock case ejector screw long enough to mount the chute that comes with the case counter?

2)  Do you remember if the stock locator buttons and tabs would work at station #8?  Or does the Armanov chute require an aftermarket tab/button?

Thanks again as I'm about to pull the lever on purchasing one of the Armanov digital counter for my RL1100.

👍

Yes, the stock screw was long enough.

The stock locator button will work. I just used a different one for my taper crimp die because I thought it would keep the cartridge oriented better. I don’t know if there is any advantage; just experimenting. Probably just a waste of time but I had it laying around. 😀

I might try “polishing” the chute with Pledge or something. Once in a while a cartridge may not slide all the way down, however, not a consistent problem. I will tell you the control unit has a bunch of functions which I am too lazy to figure out. Should probably take some time to read up on it a bit more. 

7 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I might try “polishing” the chute with Pledge or something. Once in a while a cartridge may not slide all the way down, however, not a consistent problem. I will tell you the control unit has a bunch of functions which I am too lazy to figure out. Should probably take some time to read up on it a bit more. 

I don’t think there is much to “read up on”. I downloaded the manual to get an idea how it worked, but it didn’t have a whole lot of info. 

So why is there a need for a round counter on a Dillon press?

Personally I feed a tube of primers in and load all in the tube, normally 100 at a time.  The method works great on both automated and manual presses. 

But the counter does look good. 

Probably not a must have, but sometimes I want to just load a certain number of rounds to fill a partially loaded box. I think it might be cool to know how many rounds have been loaded on the machine since last maintenance etc. Really, just cool gizmo.😀

2 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

I think it might be cool to know how many rounds have been loaded on the machine since last maintenance etc...........

IMO, the RL1100 needs specific maintenance at certain times/round counts to operate smoothly.  Especially the priming system.

So, that was my big draw to the Armanov unit........

;)

7 hours ago, HesedTech said:

So why is there a need for a round counter on a Dillon press?

Personally I feed a tube of primers in and load all in the tube, normally 100 at a time.  The method works great on both automated and manual presses. 

But the counter does look good. 

You are right. When I’m loading ammo, I use the empty primer tubes as a count, since I pretty much always finish a tube once I start it. 

I was actually more interested in counting the cases when I process brass, more to keep track of what I had, and how many rounds have gone through the machine, for tracking the big maintenance items. 

And most importantly, it’s a cool gizmo that I hope will distract me long enough to keep me from buying an auto drive now that they are starting to become available. This “gadget” is a whole lot cheaper. 

On 10/2/2021 at 11:12 AM, SnipTheDog said:

That's pretty neat.  I may have to play with that when I get my 3D printer setup.

25 minutes ago, eboadway said:

The display of rounds per hour is cool too. Fairly worthless, but cool!

Lol, it’s too funny how differently people think. The rounds/hour display would be the most valuable thing to me when I’m loading ammo. I’ve recently resolved a powder spillage problem by learning that I was cranking the handle way too fast. Using the rounds per hour counter would be great to force me to stick to a pace that keeps powder from spilling all over the shell plate. 

Currently, every so often I have to set a 15 or 30 second timer on my phone and count handle cranks during that time to check my pace. I have a tendency to keep ramping up the speed. The displayed loading rate would help keep me at the desired pace. 

I read the very short manual, and have some questions regarding the Armanov Round Counter. 

1) How is the rounds/hour “pace” calculated, and how often is it updated during a session?  I want to use it to help me maintain a consistent pace when I’m loading. Does it calculate based on the time between two consecutive rounds?  Or is it recalculated every 10-15 seconds?  Or over the last 10-15 rounds loaded?  What happens to the currently displayed pace if I stop loading for a minute?  Does it drop down to zero?  Or remain where it is until I resume loading?

2) In the different counters, what is the difference between “processing” and “depriming”?

Thanks, I also sent an email to the Armanov website, but figured I’d try here too. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2021 at 1:01 AM, cbrussell said:

After using the Armanov counter for a while, I ended up sanding the surface down own to 2,000 grit. The rounds now fall flawlessly into the bin.