Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How good could you be if you had the time and resources to really, really practice?

mniels

I've found that physical conditioning helps a lot, especially at my age - 73.  My times increased last year during the lockdown.  They continued to increase.  When the gyms were allowed to reopen in late Mar/early Apr I hired a personal trained who showed me what exercises to do and how to do them without exacerbating my existing injuries.  Twice a week for two months helped.  I've expanded the regimen and go to the gym five days a week.  It has helped a lot.  I've lost 20 of the pounds I gained during the lockdown and my strength has increased.  So has my flexibility.  

Since then my times have generally decreased.  It is rare now that I complete a match without at least one personal best.  At the last two matches I scored four personal bests each.  The earlier personal bests were decreases of fractions of a second.  Lately the decreases have been greater.  I just took one second off my best S&H time and 2+ seconds of my best 5TG time.  I'm hoping this continues so I reach a higher Classification before they change the peak times again.

Some of this is due to a change in technique, but a lot is due to improved physical conditioning.

Edited by zzt

11 hours ago, zzt said:

I've found that physical conditioning helps a lot, especially at my age - 73. 

you're not wrong, and it probably depends on where you are already on the curve. For the average healthy person, physical movement speed is not slowing them down. their problem is mostly mental. OTOH, for an elderly person like I will soon be, with a long list of athletic injuries from the past, the potential is there for it to be an issue.

I'm glad to hear you have been having some success. It is always awesome to be able to keep improving, but even more so when you get to an age where most people start making excuses. Congratulations on your progress!

On 8/29/2021 at 9:45 PM, motosapiens said:

it seems like it should be that way but if you look at the results from worlds literally all the top shooters are kids with incredible reaction times. It’s not so much about athleticism and youth because kids generally suck at USPSA, but in steel they seem to have an advantage.

however, pretty much everybody can get significantly better than they are and at 60 I have put up a bunch of personal records this year without even focusing on steel. 

Yeah, I didn't really mean everyone will be a world champion or anything Like that.

My point is just that what holds most people back isn't really not having the resources, or being to old or fat, we just like to say things like "if I had____, I could be ____ too" when really they wouldn't. . 

• 4 weeks later...