Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOS Plate issues.

ricardo28

Fallen Behind.... Yes the RMR was a leader, they paved the way and set the bar but have not advanced any since they started. Trijicon has had the RMR and SRO out for several years now and has not came out with any meaningful changes. Auto Brightness is not beneficial to many. I have run red dots on work and competition rifles for a long time now and never felt the need to have auto brightness. Set it at mid level and forget it. Many of the guys I work with who have auto adjust don't even use it. 

RMR falling behind with their window size, light bending (Seen several have a curved/magnified appearance), need to remove optic for battery change? open emitter,.... Had dust on the lens blur your dot? Morning Moisture blur it? 

Im not hating on the RMR and still think it is very good, just think its time they update it. Several companies have surpassed the RMR in a lot of ways.

Edited by ricardo28

3 hours ago, ricardo28 said:

Several companies have surpassed the RMR in a lot of ways.

The RMR most likely will not change much most likely.  Hence the introduction of the SRO (for a RDS with a larger window for competition use).  Please name any optic tougher than an RMR?  The RMR's shape was patented for a reason, and that was durability.  While the RMR might not be the ideal dot for all situations, I feel there are not many dots that offer so much more that has made the RMR irrelevant, or that it has "fallen behind".  Especially when it comes to durability.  With the new battery tabs, those things are damn near indestructible.   I will take an RMR over most dots just for the durability factor.  While I agree maybe the RMR is not the choice for competition, for everyday use it holds its own against any optic.  A prominent USPSA shooter has over 100,000 rounds on an SRO (same guts as an RMR), never heard of any other optic anywhere near that round count.

Each dot has its Pros and Cons, the RMR is no exception.  At the end of the day find the right optic for the right situation and use it.

Edited by Boomstick303

On 11/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, ricardo28 said:

RMR falling behind with their window size, light bending (Seen several have a curved/magnified appearance), need to remove optic for battery change? open emitter,.... Had dust on the lens blur your dot? Morning Moisture blur it?

All those "disadvantages" are either irrelevant if you know how to use a reflex sight, irrelevant if you concealed carry, or irrelevant no matter what.

And yes, I've had my RMR full of lint from the undershirt I always wear and I've had my SRO with water all over the lens at a match.  Never had have a problem making first round hits as quickly as my s#!t skills allow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 12:41 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

All those "disadvantages" are either irrelevant if you know how to use a reflex sight, irrelevant if you concealed carry, or irrelevant no matter what.

And yes, I've had my RMR full of lint from the undershirt I always wear and I've had my SRO with water all over the lens at a match.  Never had have a problem making first round hits as quickly as my s#!t skills allow.

Not sure we agree on what Irrelevant means. A dot blooming in the morning moisture is irrelevant? That is a huge concern especially if your LEO carrying in a duty holster and work in a damp area. To you, it may be irrelevant but to many more, it is a huge concern.

Edited by ricardo28

On 11/10/2021 at 5:38 PM, robertg5322 said:

So, just a rant then...

Thanks for nothing.

Did you read any further? I am pointing out issues which i have observed based on a fairly big group of optics and plates as many on this forum do not get exposed to such a wide variety. Trying to share things to look out for in products. 

35 minutes ago, ricardo28 said:

Not sure we agree on what Irrelevant means.

You are on a competitive shooting board comparing experiences as LE or someone who carries a dot for duty use.  So yes, you are correct we are not agreeing on relevance.  Until Closed emitter optics have a longer battery life that you can count on without replacing monthly to make sure that thing is working (talking about the ACRO here) I am not sure their relevance in the competitive shooting world over any other optic would be.  

On 11/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, ricardo28 said:

Auto Brightness is not beneficial to many.

RMRs have the ability to turn this off on many of the RMR models, so not sure how this is a relevant argument.  The fact the RMR has the ability to switch back and forth from auto brightness to manual is a feature some optics do not have.  How  is that falling behind?

On 11/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, ricardo28 said:

There are only a couple of optics that are built noticeably bigger glass, and they are built for competition use mostly and are not as durable, name others that are as durable with notably larger glass.  How is this falling behind?

Light Bending?  Never heard of it, never noted it in any optic I use so I am not sure what the heck you are talking about, and I have used many optics.  Most optics will distort what you are seeing on the edge of the glass with few exceptions.  How is this falling behind?

To my knowledge most RDSs are open emitter optics, with the exception of a couple of Holosun optics,  and the ACRO, so not sure the relevance of this comment.  

Again this cannot be stressed enough, "At the end of the day find the right optic for the right situation and use it."  If you live in a rainy area say like the Great North West, humid areas, or areas where you do experience glass temps that blur your dot then  you would most likely want a closed emitter optic.  In dry areas, or places it does not rain much or at all really I cannot see then requirement for a closed emitter optic.  

Edited by Boomstick303

5 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Again this cannot be stressed enough, "At the end of the day find the right optic for the right situation and use it."  If you live in a rainy area say like the Great North West, humid areas, or areas where you do experience glass temps that blur your dot then  you would most likely want a closed emitter optic.  In dry areas, or places it does not rain much or at all really I cannot see then requirement for a closed emitter optic.  

We agree on something. Nothing in my post was to force one view, It was pointing out observations. Not an argument but to share some downfalls of different plates.

3 hours ago, ricardo28 said:

Not an argument but to share some downfalls of different plates.

If memory serves me correct you are to one the introduced the "RMR has fallen behind" in your "Down falls of different plates" post.  

Edited by Boomstick303

19 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

If memory serves me correct you are to one the introduced the "RMR has fallen behind" in you "Down falls of different plates" post.  

I did In a response to another's post about RMR plates? Slide milling and stated reasons why I felt that way based on my observations. But I am getting the feeling you just want to argue... if you didn't read any further, I also stated the RMR is a very good optic in some areas and lacks in other areas.

Enough about the optics, let’s get back to the plates. Ricardo, you pointed out problems with a bunch, but I’d be more interested in hearing about any commercially available plates that you didn’t think sucked. It sounds like you evaluated a few different plates. 

5 hours ago, ricardo28 said:

Not sure we agree on what Irrelevant means. A dot blooming in the morning moisture is irrelevant? That is a huge concern especially if your LEO carrying in a duty holster and work in a damp area. To you, it may be irrelevant but to many more, it is a huge concern.

I've shot in the rain.  Didn't need a crisp dot to make the first hit and the slide cycle threw most of the water off.

There are other gun related things that matter to cops that are of no concern to me.

6 hours ago, ricardo28 said:

But I am getting the feeling you just want to argue...

Not argue, I simply asked a question to try to understand in what ways the RMR has fallen behind.  Maybe learn something in the process.  Your observations is obviously based on your opinions.  Others are in their right to ask how the RMR has fallen behind exactly.  I just brought up points to counter your observations.  To none of which you have really answered with the exception of having remove the optic to replace the battery and bigger glass to which the design of the SRO addressed.  If you would have said something like the RMR needs an update to fix the battery replacement issue, I think many would have agreed.  To make a blanket statement that is has fallen behind, might not be the same observations others have and will get questioned on this board, so others that know nothing about RMRs that read this thread can make their own opinions if an RMR is right or not for them based on points made by you and others. 

If you are comparing an RMR to enclosed emitter optics, I do not think that is a apt comparison.   When you compare the RMR to other optics that have the same exact issues, dirt dust obscuring the emitter, glass temp that creates a blurry dot that, water or debris on the glass, light bending,  whatever the hell that is etc. You claim the auto brightness feature is useless when you can shut that feature off in certain RMR models.  None of which really explains how exactly the RMR has fallen behind.

Also, I did read further, and you still insisted that the RMR has fallen behind after stating it was a good optic.  The RMR being or not being a good optic had anything to do with my question of how has the "RMR fallen behind."  I did state every RDS has its pros and cons.  The type of optic you should use depends on its application.

I am not trying to change your mind. I am trying to help others understand if the RMR has truly "fallen behind" other open emitter optics. You are entitled to your opinions as am I.  Now others have two differing opinions to base their own opinions.  Is that not the reason why boards like this exist?

I will leave this alone since you are beginning to feel I am looking for an argument (which I am not) as I believe I will not receive any answers on how the RMR is so different from any other open emitter RDSs currently on the market.   

7 hours ago, ricardo28 said:

Did you read any further? I am pointing out issues which i have observed based on a fairly big group of optics and plates as many on this forum do not get exposed to such a wide variety. Trying to share things to look out for in products. 

Yeah, read the whole post.

But saying some companies are selling less than good products, without naming the companies isn't useful info, it's a rant.

I have no issue with rants, done them myself.  But I recognize that while they can be entertaining,, they're not usually very useful to others