Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade Tech Injection Molded?

midvalleyshooter

I just bought one of the Blade Tech injection molded holsters for my G17.

It compares favorably with the Uncle Mikes injection molded holster I have for my SS1911.

Both of these beat the living snot out of anything Fobus.

Travis F.

I use the dropped and offset model for my 1911. They are a very good quality holster and work great for USPSA.

It wont work for IDPA but its my very most favorite of all of the assorted non race holsters I have in my big ole castoff box....All except the DOH that is. :D

Out of all of the under $20 kydex / polymer holsters, (Fobus, Uncle Mikes, Blade Tech), the Blade Tech is of the best quality. They come in both belt loop and paddle styles.

The injection moulded style is not of the same quality as the standard Blade Tech kydex, but they are $40 cheaper. We are selling probably 50-60 of these holsters weekly with almost no negative feedback, which is amazing when you are dealing with people and holsters.

Blade Tech also is producing an under $20 injection moulded double magazine in Tek Lok belt style. They are making them for Glocks, Sigs, 1911's and Beretta's so far. These are real nice and about $40 cheaper that their standard mag pouch. We started carrying these about 3 months ago and are getting nice feedback also. If you like the Tek Lok style, these are nice options.

The Bladetechs hold the gun tighter to the body than the UM's holster - which I don't like for competition.

The Bladetechs do have a taller sight channel that works with taller after market sights - which the UM holster does not have.

I know the UM are no longer legal for IDPA, but believe the Bladetechs are.

After reading the previous posts, I can see that I will be in the minority for saying this, but... I felt that the quality of the INJECTION molded Blade Tech holster that I purchased for a 1911 was awful. Very flimsy and fragile-about on par with a Fobus. I prefer an Uncle Mike's kydex holster over the B.T., as the Kydex feels much thicker, and more like a sheet-formed kydex holster. That being said, I have a number of other sheet-formed Blade Tech holsters, such as the DOH, and I love them--exceptional quality. For the $, the U.M. is hard to beat IMHO. As for IDPA legal, I have seen a number of shooters easily and successfuly build up the front of the holster with epoxy over thin metal rods, bringing the front up to the legal height. Legal mod?--Idunno, I don't shoot IDPA.

I have a number of other sheet-formed Blade Tech holsters, such as the DOH, and I love them--exceptional quality.

Is the belt loop piece on your DOH kydex or injection molded? I just bought a DOH and the holster is great, however the belt loop piece is injected molded and it has a noticeable amount of flex on the draw. I'm tempted to get a piece of sheet kydex and make my own replacement.

I am very happy with my Blade Tech injection molded holster. I borrowed a Kydex one and shot with it in Area 4. Don't look at my scores as a reflection on the holster. They sell the molded holster for under $20, or a "Combo Pak Special" with a double mag pouch for under $40. I use mine in both USPSA and IDPA.

I did ask Bobby @ Blade-Tech today about the injection molded models and IDPA approval and he indicated to me that if you use a THIN belt they're not, but if you use a THICK belt, they are !

What's-up with that? Rigidity? I'm quite curious; thanks.

Regards,

Dino

That proabably because in IDPA you cant have light between belt and holster. With platic holsters the belt loops are rigid so a thin belt will leave room for light where a thick one wont.

Vlad is correct. The inconsistency has to do with IDPA's rather unique way of determining whether a holster is OK or not.

Viewed from the front, if there is light between the holster and shooter body, the holster is no-good. If there is no light, everything is kosher.

So, if you use a good sturdy belt like the Wilderness Instructor belts or similiar, the belt is thicker and eliminates the daylight as opposed to using a thin leather dress belt. Some have also taken to using hair dryers, heating the holster material and making the loop thinner to eliminate potential daylight. What this has to do with "tacticalability" you would have to discuss with Bill Wilson and his group that came up with the rules.

Overall thought, the injection moulded holsters seem to fit the new rules interpretation of what is a "legal" holster.

Vlad is correct. The inconsistency has to do with IDPA's rather unique way of determining whether a holster is OK or not.

Viewed from the front, if there is light between the holster and shooter body, the holster is no-good. If there is no light, everything is kosher.

So, if you use a good sturdy belt like the Wilderness Instructor belts or similiar, the belt is thicker and eliminates the daylight as opposed to using a thin leather dress belt. Some have also taken to using hair dryers, heating the holster material and making the loop thinner to eliminate potential daylight. What this has to do with "tacticalability" you would have to discuss with Bill Wilson and his group that came up with the rules.

Overall thought, the injection moulded holsters seem to fit the new rules interpretation of what is a "legal" holster.

Ay Carumba ! Thank you. I will have to reserve a few hours to thouroughly read the IDPA Rulebook.