Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bench height RL1100 vs 650/750

Thinking about upgrading from a 650 to an 1100, but am curious if I will be able to continue sitting while loading. I do not have a strong mount or lift of any kind on my 650, and prefer to sit while loading. But it looks like the 1100 might be more of a reach. Anyone load with one sitting? I don't know anyone that has an 1100, and the store that has the new 1100 does not have one setup to try or look at. I looked for side-by-side videos, but didn't find any that answered that question.

Please, no debate on sitting vs standing while reloading. Even if I'm doing it "wrong", I'm okay with it. 

I sit at the 550 and Rockchucker, stand at the 1050, CH, and MEC.  

I think the 1100 would take a lot of pull to operate sitting, but I saw a guy at a commercial reloader on a tall stool in front of a 1050.  It got him (mostly) off his feet but let him put some weight against the handle.

My 1050 sessions are short, my arthritic knees and back tire pretty fast.  I was looking at a 750 instead of 550 for 9mm, but could not get anything definite on using it sitting.

Edited by Jim Watson

My table is 30” from base to the tabletop. With my 1100 directly mounted, I reload while seated on a bar stool. It wasn’t hard at all to pull the handle. The handle is also setup on the middle setting for a shorter pull.

My only issue sitting versus standing when loading on my 1050 is I cannot see the powder in case after the powder drop, which I tend to be a Nazi about.  I intend at some point buy a camera with monitor to be able to see this operation more clearly and then I believe I would sit 85-90% of the time.   No issue in pulling the handle, but I would suggest an adjust bar chair or something similar to where you could adjust the height of the seat.  There is a bit of getting on and off the chair for component loading.  Something to keep in mind.  

4 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

I sit at the 550 and Rockchucker, stand at the 1050, CH, and MEC.  

I think the 1100 would take a lot of pull to operate sitting, but I saw a guy at a commercial reloader on a tall stool in front of a 1050.  It got him (mostly) off his feet but let him put some weight against the handle.

My 1050 sessions are short, my arthritic knees and back tire pretty fast.  I was looking at a 750 instead of 550 for 9mm, but could not get anything definite on using it sitting.

For sure you can use the 650/750 sitting. Just don't buy the tall mount. Mount it direct to your bench. Been doing it that way for a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

My only issue sitting versus standing when loading on my 1050 is I cannot see the powder in case after the powder drop, which I tend to be a Nazi about.  I intend at some point buy a camera with monitor to be able to see this operation more clearly and then I believe I would sit 85-90% of the time.   No issue in pulling the handle, but I would suggest an adjust bar chair or something similar to where you could adjust the height of the seat.  There is a bit of getting on and off the chair for component loading.  Something to keep in mind.  

Thanks. I would have a powder check, so no worries about being able to see the powder level. If I get one, I'll have the powder check after the powder drop station, then MBF and finally my RCBS seat/crimp die. I'd only be loading 9mm with it. 

Another question. Are these things as rare right now as they seem to be? I can only find one shop with one in stock, and they happen to be less than 10 minutes from where I am right now. They are asking list for it. I called around to some shops in several states as I'm traveling quite a bit right now, but no joy. 

29 minutes ago, jejb said:

Another question. Are these things as rare right now as they seem to be? I can only find one shop with one in stock, and they happen to be less than 10 minutes from where I am right now. They are asking list for it. I called around to some shops in several states as I'm traveling quite a bit right now, but no joy. 

They’re not that “rare”. Main reason there’s not a lot of them available are due to the unavailability of various components especially carbide dies. If I were you, I’d buy it right away and then sell your 650. 

I ordered mine directly from Dillon a year or so ago without dies and waited about five weeks for delivery. I didn’t mind waiting because I also had a 650 and 550 at the time. Additionally, by having an account with them, Dillon also gave me a 10% military discount for buying the 1100, additional tool heads/tool head stands and other stuff.

Keep in mind also that prices went up at the beginning of the year. 

Yup.  Dies seem to be the biggest issue with getting them quick.  If you were to backorder without dies, you most likely would get it sooner.

If you have some time and do not need it immediately, they do show up on the board from time to time.

Edited by Boomstick303

I, like George16, load on an 1100 (that is bolted straight to the bench top) from a padded bar type stool (Craftsman Brand) that I bought at Lowes for $55.00….I also sit while loading on my 650 that is mounted using a strong mount but with the 650, I sit in a roll around office chair…Bench heights are slightly different also…Mark

I was able to mount it slightly lower than my 650, and am able to use it sitting in an adjustable office chair, same one I used for the 650. The shell plate level is still a few inches higher than the 650, but not a huge deal.

Got the 1100 home and setup yesterday. I bought a Mr. Bullet feeder at the same time, but have not installed it yet. Want to get used to the press a bit before adding that dimension. Some teething issues. Like any new press, it takes a bit to get fully familiar with it. But we're getting there.